Audeze LCD-2 Closed
Sep 27, 2018 at 1:27 PM Post #91 of 883
Did you figure out any more info about the circuit inside the ear cup? I don’t know much about circuits but i think it’s a high pass filter, correct?

Unfortunatelly no one replied so far but looks like more people are acquiring them so maybe someone will be willing to open cups. Its basically 4 screws to open it, nothing complicated. I think its notch filter or something like that to reduce back reflection null or bump in frequencies

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2018 at 4:57 PM Post #92 of 883
That I'm not sure about. But it would be interesting to hear from the folks that don't like the LCD-2 closed back.

Yea, I didn't see the follow up of the revised version. It was the OP who wasn't crazy about it.

Oct 1, 2018 at 12:32 PM Post #94 of 883
I'm considering buying these CB vs. the regular open Classic version. The consensus on the open version seems to be that the bass is great but the treble region is the weak point (and maybe the mids a little too?). Looks like there is a consensus developing on the CB that it has better balance, pending additional reviews that we all seem to be waiting for...

If the CB solve the weaknesses of the open, is it a no-brainer to buy the CB vs. the open? I don't want to spend $800 on the open and feel like they are missing something. I'd rather get the CB if they've solved that weakness.

I do sometimes like the laid back and airy approach that open cans seem to create, but I have the 6xx for that and I can keep those. Maybe the CB will be a great alternative to my 6xx and also be a big upgrade from my Sine. The treble in the Sine is too hot, so I'm hoping that the CB is basically "just right", and at the same time I'll get bigger sound with even more bass.

Oct 8, 2018 at 10:17 AM Post #97 of 883
Great video! I've missed Lachlan...

Oct 8, 2018 at 10:33 AM Post #98 of 883
A spike in the treble region can overshadow a headphone's strengths so easily, and that's the thing that I'm worried about with this one.

Oct 8, 2018 at 12:55 PM Post #99 of 883
A spike in the treble region can overshadow a headphone's strengths so easily, and that's the thing that I'm worried about with this one.

This.

Had the exact problem with the M1060C.

Oct 9, 2018 at 12:54 PM Post #100 of 883
Ya that’s the main thing holding me back on pulling the trigger on these. It just seems like not many ppl are interested in the closed backs. I think I might just take the risk and put an order in.

Oct 10, 2018 at 11:01 AM Post #102 of 883
Ordered mine last Tuesday. Should be here tomorrow or Thursday (I am in Europe and ordered via a local authorised dealer). Will let you know if to my non-expert ears the treble has issues.
Thank you! I would very much appreciate that. I hear so many amazing things about the lcd2c’s and really feel like they would be a good fit for my sound sig tastes but the added sub bass and air of the lcd2cb’s makes the decision difficult. I really want something with deep visceral sub bass and luscious mids, and a top end air that’s present but not forward or over present. I’m back leaning towards the lcd2c’s but love the idea of being able to use the lcd2cb’s portable

Oct 10, 2018 at 1:23 PM Post #103 of 883
I've really been debating between the ZMF Atticus and the LCD-2CC. Anyone have a listen to both?

Oct 10, 2018 at 3:39 PM Post #104 of 883
Received my LCD-2CB today. Very preliminary, initial impressions below. I listened to some rock and some electronic/chill. I use the Modi 2 Multibit with the Magni 3 and for this test no EQ. Note that the LCD-2CB are not in the Audeze Reveal plug-in at this time.

- BUILD: very well built and the materials are nice to the touch; it all feels like quality although I would have liked the carbon fiber on the upper headband; the artificial leather looks good and feels good, but not as good as the real leather on the MX4 (for me)
- COMFORT: comfortable with the new Audeze headband, the weight is distributed; they are supposed to be about 100g heavier than my MX4, but I cannot feel the difference; by no means light, but I was preparing for a noticeable, heavier feel and was pleasantly surprised here
- BASS: bass does have a very enjoyable slam; not using "very" lightly; as I said, I am not an expert at this and just from what I have read, I tend to believe the burn-in effect is a myth; having said this, the very knowledgeable person that I worked with at the local dealer did advise me to allow for a proper burn-in period before the bass full expresses itself; currently it feels very satisfying and has that nice, impactful slam, but it is not massive (for me this is a good thing) and maybe just a tad less full/rich than expected, but if the burn in does provide more bass, I imagine it would be a very slight increase and that would be absolutely fine with me because I feel like the MX4 does have a richer bass currently and I love it
- MIDS/HIGHS - see video from Lachlan above at 3:35 to 4:08 - I fully, fully agree; note, I do not own and have not listened to the LCD-2C OPEN; I am comparing to the much more expensive MX4 and just evaluating the sound as is; the LCD-2CB does sound energetic, with a very nice bass as I said, but also with plenty of volume for the mids and treble; exactly as Lachlan says, it is very noticeable on electronic tracks, not in itself, but when switching from the MX4; however, I do not hear a spike in the treble somewhere in isolation of the overall energetic mids/highs, nothing making me to turn the volume down (BEWARE: I don't have the necessary experience to really say this conclusively; don't take my word for it based on a few hours of listening to the brand new headphones, if this would be a problem for you, try to listen to them first somewhere)
- SOUNDSTAGE - seems good to me
- SOUND LEAKAGE - very good on this, I can play them at high volume and know that they won't be heard in the next room
- ISOLATION - noticeable, medium isolation to the noises around me...

Conclusion for me after the first day: Already enjoying them. I needed a closed back for when the house gets quiet in the late evenings and this seems to be what I wanted. From what I read, I am under no illusion that a closed back can sound as good as an open back all other things being equal, so this is why I am satisfied even though I can immediately hear the drop in sound quality compared to the MX4 -- how can I not, the MX4 is an incredible experience for 3x the price of the LCD-2CB. On top of this, I am hoping that with some EQ (software or the Loki arriving Friday) I can smooth down the mids/highs just a bit and then fully enjoy the quality I am hearing in every other respect. Maybe one other way to put it: I plugged in my HD-600 and compared -- they seem slightly lower energy and slightly smoother at this point, but when plugging the LCD-2CB back in, I also hear a serious quality there that could be really, really worth it with some EQ or that alleged wear in effect. And as I said, for me this is not a choice between HD-600/MX4 and LCD-2CB. I need a closed back in my arsenal.

Also, keep in mind my DAC/Amp combo. Some experienced people above with much better equipment felt differently about the mids/highs.

IMG_6176.JPG IMG_6178.JPG IMG_6186.JPG

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2018 at 6:25 PM Post #105 of 883
Received my LCD-2CB today. Very preliminary, initial impressions below. I listened to some rock and some electronic/chill. I use the Modi 2 Multibit with the Magni 3 and for this test no EQ. Note that the LCD-2CB are not in the Audeze Reveal plug-in at this time.

- BUILD: very well built and the materials are nice to the touch; it all feels like quality although I would have liked the carbon fiber on the upper headband; the artificial leather looks good and feels good, but not as good as the real leather on the MX4 (for me)
- COMFORT: comfortable with the new Audeze headband, the weight is distributed; they are supposed to be about 100g heavier than my MX4, but I cannot feel the difference; by no means light, but I was preparing for a noticeable, heavier feel and was pleasantly surprised here
- BASS: bass does have a very enjoyable slam; not using "very" lightly; as I said, I am not an expert at this and just from what I have read, I tend to believe the burn-in effect is a myth; having said this, the very knowledgeable person that I worked with at the local dealer did advise me to allow for a proper burn-in period before the bass full expresses itself; currently it feels very satisfying and has that nice, impactful slam, but it is not massive (for me this is a good thing) and maybe just a tad less full/rich than expected, but if the burn in does provide more bass, I imagine it would be a very slight increase and that would be absolutely fine with me because I feel like the MX4 does have a richer bass currently and I love it
- MIDS/HIGHS - see video from Lachlan above at 3:35 to 4:08 - I fully, fully agree; note, I do not own and have not listened to the LCD-2C OPEN; I am comparing to the much more expensive MX4 and just evaluating the sound as is; the LCD-2CB does sound energetic, with a very nice bass as I said, but also with plenty of volume for the mids and treble; exactly as Lachlan says, it is very noticeable on electronic tracks, not in itself, but when switching from the MX4; however, I do not hear a spike in the treble somewhere in isolation of the overall energetic mids/highs, nothing making me to turn the volume down (BEWARE: I don't have the necessary experience to really say this conclusively; don't take my word for it based on a few hours of listening to the brand new headphones, if this would be a problem for you, try to listen to them first somewhere)
- SOUNDSTAGE - seems good to me
- SOUND LEAKAGE - very good on this, I can play them at high volume and know that they won't be heard in the next room
- ISOLATION - noticeable, medium isolation to the noises around me...

Conclusion for me after the first day: Already enjoying them. I needed a closed back for when the house gets quiet in the late evenings and this seems to be what I wanted. From what I read, I am under no illusion that a closed back can sound as good as an open back all other things being equal, so this is why I am satisfied even though I can immediately hear the drop in sound quality compared to the MX4 -- how can I not, the MX4 is an incredible experience for 3x the price of the LCD-2CB. On top of this, I am hoping that with some EQ (software or the Loki arriving Friday) I can smooth down the mids/highs just a bit and then fully enjoy the quality I am hearing in every other respect. Maybe one other way to put it: I plugged in my HD-600 and compared -- they seem slightly lower energy and slightly smoother at this point, but when plugging the LCD-2CB back in, I also hear a serious quality there that could be really, really worth it with some EQ or that alleged wear in effect. And as I said, for me this is not a choice between HD-600/MX4 and LCD-2CB. I need a closed back in my arsenal.

Also, keep in mind my DAC/Amp combo. Some experienced people above with much better equipment felt differently about the mids/highs.

Nice write-up. The LCD- 2CB's are great cans. They do so many things well for a closed headphone. Sure, they are not as open as some of the best open-backed headphones nor should they be. The LCD-2CB's have great isolation. They also have a nice sense of space but they are not as wide as my Z1R's. I can turn on the crossfeed feature on my Hugo 2 and it opens up the sound very nicely on the LCD-2CB's. The bass of the LCD-2CB's is more impactful than the Z1R's and that's what I like about them. The Z1R's are more balanced sounding but I don't like taking them of house. The LCD-2CB's fair much better on the go as a portable headphone and that's my intended use for them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back