Audeze LCD-2 Amp or Source More Important?
Feb 3, 2011 at 7:40 AM Post #17 of 22
Some will say the source is most i.portant. Because it garbage in garbage out kind of principle. I think it is all important in a system. Als0 do not neglect the interconnect cable as the better your gear is the more noticeable differences you will hear

Feb 4, 2011 at 11:28 AM Post #18 of 22
I've been switching sources and amps recently, with my LCD2s; originally I was using a Marantz CD5003 disc player, DACMagic, and Woo WA6SE.  Very good sound, but I was looking for an overall quieter background, inside and outside of the headphones.  

I'm now using a Mac Mini, with an AIFF iTunes library, going out to a Stage DAC and then to a Concerto.  Slightly different sound signature than with the Woo, but I'm liking it a lot.  Actually the difference in sound between these two amps is less than I thought it would be, but besides the music, there is now no other noise!  Totally black background.  

So for me, the source or the amp could be the most important; it would be whichever contributes most to the silence between the notes.  I may have a Woo for sale soon . . .

Feb 4, 2011 at 11:46 AM Post #19 of 22
Am frankly surprised this has even come up.

When you are talking about planar headphones or speakers, amp is HUGELY important. More so than the source IMO. 

Feb 4, 2011 at 4:31 PM Post #20 of 22

Quote:
Am frankly surprised this has even come up.

When you are talking about planar headphones or speakers, amp is HUGELY important. More so than the source IMO. 

Totally agree with this. The source always plays into an easier load; the amp. The input impedance of the amp will be around 47K which is easy for any bog standard op-amp to drive into. And yes, far easier a load than the beloved LCD-2s presents to most amplifiers. That doesn't mean to say both aren't important, it's just that the source always has the easier job.

Feb 4, 2011 at 5:05 PM Post #21 of 22
Oh, and I should add that once you do have a decent amplifier that can handle the LCD-2s with aplomb, rather than get rid of the source one could try a few mods (systematically if budget is limited). Most commercial DACs are moddable quite easily; a few regulator upgrades can transform the sound most DACs and elevate the sound into high-end stratosphere. 

Feb 10, 2011 at 5:39 PM Post #22 of 22
I'm have gone through quite some "pro" sound cards in my time. I personally would not go for something less than an Apogee or RME AD/DA converter. I own the latter and is the best sound I have had so far. I'm sure Apogee converters are better but I got a good deal on an RME ADI-8 Pro. 

Just my 2 cents...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back