Audeze iSINE 10 & iSINE 20: Audeze releases two new IEM planar magnetic earphones
May 22, 2018 at 1:44 AM Post #5,251 of 7,352
May 23, 2018 at 5:56 AM Post #5,254 of 7,352
Just as an FYI, I'm running my iSine 20s using Roon through a Raspberry PI with an IQAudio Pi-DAC+

Roon has worked with Audeze to provide extensive DSP support for the iSInes and the sound quality is excellent for a relatively low cost.

Around £250 for a refurb Dell PC to act as Roon Core with about £100 for the Raspberry Pi and DAC endpoint. The Raspberry Pi can be made mobile with a battery power brick if you want. Some technical skill is required to get the Raspberry PI endpoint working.

Roon is a a great way of listening to your music while using your iSInes!

May 23, 2018 at 7:28 AM Post #5,255 of 7,352
Just as an FYI, I'm running my iSine 20s using Roon through a Raspberry PI with an IQAudio Pi-DAC+

Roon has worked with Audeze to provide extensive DSP support for the iSInes and the sound quality is excellent for a relatively low cost.

Around £250 for a refurb Dell PC to act as Roon Core with about £100 for the Raspberry Pi and DAC endpoint. The Raspberry Pi can be made mobile with a battery power brick if you want. Some technical skill is required to get the Raspberry PI endpoint working.

Roon is a a great way of listening to your music while using your iSInes!
Wow, that seems like a lot of work. Would it not be easier to buy a second-hand iPod touch and use the Audeze Lightning cable?

May 23, 2018 at 8:11 AM Post #5,256 of 7,352
Wow, that seems like a lot of work. Would it not be easier to buy a second-hand iPod touch and use the Audeze Lightning cable?

That's very true, and I use the Lightening cable when I'm out and about with my iPhone X

However, Roon supports multiple users listening to different music simultaneously in the house and automatically links with any Sonos or Airplay devices also on your network. I also have an endpoint with a DAC connected to my main hifi/speaker system. You can hand off music from one device to another seamlessly.

It's also really good at collating your music and transparently integrates with Tidal. I was sceptical about it a well, but am now really impressed. It does cost a bit on an annual license, but you can get a demo install to try it out.

Anyway probably the wrong forum to discuss Roon, but my main message was that Audeze and Roon have worked together to support the iSines (and other headphones)

May 23, 2018 at 8:24 AM Post #5,257 of 7,352
Certainly sounds very fully featured. Nice one!

May 23, 2018 at 5:58 PM Post #5,258 of 7,352
Just thought I'd toss this out there for those who are (like I recently was) on the fence about pulling the trigger on the iSines.

I can totally understand why some people might wonder where these could possibly fit, purpose wise, given their lack of isolation, price point etc.

What I can tell you is that although they might not be the greatest commuter headphone (walking, running, subway etc.), they are incredibly convenient for those who are on the road, office workers, students etc. They are essentially THE solution I was personally looking for (without realizing I was in fact looking the particular features they possess). Here's why:

1) I am an iPhone/iPad owner. I love my arsenal of DACs but HATE how cumbersome they are. This includes the 'portable' DACs such as the Dragonfly red and the like. The Cipher cable sounds outstanding, feels great and best of all, it adds literally nothing in your pocket, bag whatever...no ridiculous rubber-banding an aluminum brick or dongling some haphazard lightning adapter out the ass of your phone. Having everything I need on the go with just the iSines and my iPhone, for me, is effing badass.

2) These split the difference between my more isolating, convenient IEMs and reference style open back headphones that I wish weren't so awkward to travel with. I now have no desire to try and case up my HD800S and a DAC for a weekend trip. Honestly, to my ears, these actually sound just as good and better in some areas (ie. male vocals, holy crap).

3) The sound, the sound, the sound. I can only speak on behalf of the Cipher cabled sound signature these have, but my god. When I threw them through the gauntlet of my record collection, I had more sonically induced goosebump moments than I can remember having. The only experience I can remember coming close was demoing an engineer buddy's PSB Imagine T3s a few years ago. I fully acknowledge the subjective element here, but to my ears, these hit ALL the right marks across the frequency and imaging spectrum. Even though some may gasp at their price, I personally think that they punch well above the weight of many of my favorite flagships, especially flagship IEMs.

Would I recommend these to everyone? Certainly not. If you're married to your Android, stand alone DAP, or chord mojo, probably look elsewhere.

However, for those who enjoy the convenience of their iDevices and are looking for something portable to travel with, take to the office, use to study, use on a hike, or (insert non traffic level background noise accompanied activity here), and who are sick of trucking the extra weight high resolution audio otherwise demands, I don't think you can beat these.

(If you think something can, do let me know)

May 23, 2018 at 10:27 PM Post #5,259 of 7,352
Hi Guys,
Just spent a few hours yesterday with the UM ME 1 and Isine 20. The UM is good, if fact very good, but the presentation is so much like my CIEM (Zeus 14), whereas the Isine 20 gives me that airyness and soundstage of headphones. Mightly impressed. I tried it with my PW1960 4 wire, and boy or boy, these puppies scale very well. I have decided to go with the isine 20 but please don't get me wrong the UM is excellent, but as I wanted a different presentation I am going with the i20. My gear used for testing was SP1000 balanced out to CDM balanced in, using PW audio1960 4 wire. Heck I would have got the UM if I did not have my lovely Zeus 14. Sorry if I am intruding.

May 24, 2018 at 1:25 AM Post #5,260 of 7,352
Hi Guys,
Just spent a few hours yesterday with the UM ME 1 and Isine 20. The UM is good, if fact very good, but the presentation is so much like my CIEM (Zeus 14), whereas the Isine 20 gives me that airyness and soundstage of headphones. Mightly impressed. I tried it with my PW1960 4 wire, and boy or boy, these puppies scale very well. I have decided to go with the isine 20 but please don't get me wrong the UM is excellent, but as I wanted a different presentation I am going with the i20. My gear used for testing was SP1000 balanced out to CDM balanced in, using PW audio1960 4 wire. Heck I would have got the UM if I did not have my lovely Zeus 14. Sorry if I am intruding.

Which one gives the best clarity and detail?

May 24, 2018 at 2:21 AM Post #5,261 of 7,352
Would I recommend these to everyone? Certainly not. If you're married to your Android, stand alone DAP, or chord mojo, probably look elsewhere.

Thank you for your review and thoughs about the isine 20 in combination with cipher cable, cipher is good yea but you can go better easily

The LG V20 DAP smartphone with viper4android mod can drive these things on better levels than the cipher cable does I can know because i tried it myself
Any other good DAP with EQ internal settings can archieve the same

There is nothing special about the cipher cable it's only a DSP with a medium quality dac chip, only the price makes it interesting ofcourse.

Chord mojo i don't recommend because it doesnt really have the software EQ part if you want to "adjust" your sound the isine needs for some users.
And i compared my LG V20 with the mojo without the EQ on standard settings and i could not hear any difference (I reviewed this couple of monts ago on this page)

Last edited:
May 24, 2018 at 4:54 AM Post #5,262 of 7,352
Which one gives the best clarity and detail?
The UM ME 1, though the i20 is very close, like I said, its a different presentation of music. Also as I mentioned, if I did not own my Zeus, I would have gone with the UM, but I wanted a different presentation, which is more can like as I can bring both the Zeus and i20 on my travels and not miss my LCD 3F. I am also saving up for my Abyss, and the i20 is a good compromise for me as I did not want to spend on the i4.

IMHO, if u can upgrade the cables and feed them well, the i20 is a very nice piece to have in your Armour as an alternative to "in your head" music.

Last edited:
May 24, 2018 at 5:56 AM Post #5,263 of 7,352
Thank you for your review and thoughs about the isine 20 in combination with cipher cable, cipher is good yea but you can go better easily

The LG V20 DAP smartphone with viper4android mod can drive these things on better levels than the cipher cable does I can know because i tried it myself

There is nothing special about the cipher cable it's only a DSP with a medium quality dac chip, only the price makes it interesting ofcourse.
When you say you’ve actually done the comparison between the Cipher and the LG can you elaborate please with some examples of the differences you found?
I don’t understand ‘drive on better levels’ particularly well.
Thanks

May 24, 2018 at 11:44 AM Post #5,264 of 7,352

Chord mojo i don't recommend because it doesnt really have the software EQ part if you want to "adjust" your sound the isine needs for some users.
And i compared my LG V20 with the mojo without the EQ on standard settings and i could not hear any difference (I reviewed this couple of monts ago on this page)
I have a V20 and have not used viper4android but would like to try it. What player sofware do you use, and what EQ settings? TIA

Bob

May 24, 2018 at 11:49 AM Post #5,265 of 7,352

Glad to see this, there's generally not a lot of overlap between Android DAP users and apple product people, so I was hoping to hear from someone who has actually listened to it both ways to find out if the cipher cable is some sort of magic, or if, like I would think, my hiby r6 using a balanced cable and EQ is just as capable or even more so.

Also, I'm not sure if it's brain burn in or what but I'm just now finally starting to be able to appreciate these. Prior to yesterday I didnt really hear anything special about these that made me think they were better than my brainwavz b400. Then i was listening to "face to face" by daft punk and I heard part of the song ive never heard before and actually thought it was my desk phone ringing about 4 feet away...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back