Audeze iSINE 10 & iSINE 20: Audeze releases two new IEM planar magnetic earphones
Feb 27, 2018 at 5:35 AM Post #4,936 of 7,352
I want to purchase iSINE 20 but I see Z review and he said Audiofly AF180 best imagine can anyone give me his thought between these two .

also I want to use my Iem for gaming and music .
The Audiofly is a closed IEM and I recall Zeos saying he'd reach for that one if he needed to shut out the outside world. The iSine is 'semi-open' so you'll need to be in a fairly quiet environment otherwise you hear the outside world, pretty much entirely although slightly muffled at high frequencies.
They are very different IEMs so I'd strongly advise listening to them both if you can to see which type suits your needs.
Also check his review of the iSines

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2018 at 7:27 AM Post #4,937 of 7,352
I want to purchase iSINE 20 but I see Z review and he said Audiofly AF180 best imagine can anyone give me his thought between these two .

also I want to use my Iem for gaming and music .
I never heard the AF180 but considering that isine is an open design they are going to easily have much better image/soundstage than closed design.

Feb 28, 2018 at 6:49 AM Post #4,938 of 7,352
28471675_1544311032352069_2269328966043053976_n.jpg

My new setup :

Audeze iSine 20 + Sony NW-WM1\A

MY EQ :
28640860_1545951585521347_1462310450_o.jpg

Mar 1, 2018 at 7:16 PM Post #4,939 of 7,352
I read that some people had done put some heatshrink around the hooks for comfort and this seems to do the trick for me!

I've also gave Symbio-W hybrid tips a try again and I really like it. This is a great combination for me. Here's some photos of my iSine set up now, with my 2 ft handmade (not very well done I admit) balanced cable and the Radsone EarStudio ES100 bluetooth balanced amp). Really liking this portable/work setup. I feel less and less inclined to use my HE560 or Audeze Sines even at home.

IMG_9824x.jpg IMG_9829.jpg

Mar 2, 2018 at 9:11 AM Post #4,940 of 7,352
I am trying to get a V2 Cipher cable here in Italy but have had no luck so far...I bought my iSine 10s from a UK dealer but he also said he cannot get the V2 cable from the UK supplier...can anyone help?

Mar 2, 2018 at 3:18 PM Post #4,941 of 7,352
I am trying to get a V2 Cipher cable here in Italy but have had no luck so far...I bought my iSine 10s from a UK dealer but he also said he cannot get the V2 cable from the UK supplier...can anyone help?
Have you tried contacting Exertis, the UK distributor, directly?

Mar 3, 2018 at 4:45 AM Post #4,942 of 7,352
Are you guys okay with me posting my EQ settings and the measurements for my iSine 10? I acquired one somewhat recently, and played quite a bit with EQ ing it, resulting in a very nice sounding settings. But I'm not entirely convinced of it, and I kind of wanna share it with you guys the process on how I get it and everything

As a starter, this is what I ended up with after EQing the iSines quite extensively: https://imgur.com/XsUlEq3

The sound was decidedly pretty neutral, with a decent amount of bass boost as well. It brings out the mids and treble to sound natural, with some decent clarity and mid-upper treble extension. I was aiming for an Etymotic-esque tuning as per Crinacle's thread, but I decided to give it a little bit of my personal "sauce"

I'll see if I can find the EQ parameters somewhere. I had my laptop serviced and my BootCamp partition was demolished in the process, and my EQ settings are there sadly :frowning2:

Mar 4, 2018 at 10:46 AM Post #4,946 of 7,352
So I went ahead and went against my better judgement and bought a balanced cable from mimic cables. The configuration I ordered was to have a 2.5mm balanced connector to use with my FIIO Q1 and I opted for the silver plated oxygen free copper. I recived them last week at some point and got home Friday and was excited to try them. This being my first time using anything balanced was exciting to say the least. Now i know I shouldn't expect the greatest quality for a cable that costs $125(I think) but when I opened up the package and unraveled the cable I immediately noticed freying on the Paracord. I also noticed dings and dents on the Y Strain relief thingy. I told myself I hope this sounds a hell of a lot better than it looks. I proceeded to plugging everything in to give them a listen, and when I did the first thing I noticed was the soundstage increased exponentially. Which is good IMHO, but everything goes south from there and here is where I need input from you guys on this matter for multiple reasons. One I'm not used to listening to a balanced setup so I don't know what I'm supposed be expecting. But I will tell you what I hear and if there's something wrong I want to know. Because to me there sounds to be something wrong. The soundstage opened up...sure... But vocals took a huge back seat while instruments just forward in the mix and not in a good way. The bass extension dropped dramatically and I don't know why. I told my buddy I think these sound as if they were wired out of phase. That's what it sounds like to me anyways. How much different will a headphone sound if it's wired out of phase? I don't know! That's why I am here to get some input.

Mar 4, 2018 at 11:39 AM Post #4,947 of 7,352
So I went ahead and went against my better judgement and bought a balanced cable from mimic cables. The configuration I ordered was to have a 2.5mm balanced connector to use with my FIIO Q1 and I opted for the silver plated oxygen free copper. I recived them last week at some point and got home Friday and was excited to try them. This being my first time using anything balanced was exciting to say the least. Now i know I shouldn't expect the greatest quality for a cable that costs $125(I think) but when I opened up the package and unraveled the cable I immediately noticed freying on the Paracord. I also noticed dings and dents on the Y Strain relief thingy. I told myself I hope this sounds a hell of a lot better than it looks. I proceeded to plugging everything in to give them a listen, and when I did the first thing I noticed was the soundstage increased exponentially. Which is good IMHO, but everything goes south from there and here is where I need input from you guys on this matter for multiple reasons. One I'm not used to listening to a balanced setup so I don't know what I'm supposed be expecting. But I will tell you what I hear and if there's something wrong I want to know. Because to me there sounds to be something wrong. The soundstage opened up...sure... But vocals took a huge back seat while instruments just forward in the mix and not in a good way. The bass extension dropped dramatically and I don't know why. I told my buddy I think these sound as if they were wired out of phase. That's what it sounds like to me anyways. How much different will a headphone sound if it's wired out of phase? I don't know! That's why I am here to get some input.
Sounds out of phase to me too. Should be very easy to check with a simple continuity checker screwdriver-type tester.

Mar 4, 2018 at 11:47 AM Post #4,948 of 7,352

Why did you think Balanced cable makes a difference? Because our resident 'reviewers' say so?

Balanced headphone cable on its own has exactly zero benefits over Single Ended cable.

The only benefit is with certain DAPs, Onkyo X1, for example. X1 has built in 2 amplifiers, and 2 DAC, one for each channel. But only using Balanced output socket are both used. With Single Ended, the 3.5mm output socket only one amplifier, and one DAC is used, to power both channels. There is no rational explanation why Onkyo designed it this way. Why are both amps and both DAC not used with both sockets, only Onkyo knows. Possibly to save power in SE mode. But the power saving by turning off 2 chips in 3.5mm SE mode is minor concern, it hardly matters.

With Onkyo X1 DAP running both DAC and amps hugely beneficial, but it isn't because the cable. Cable has nothing to do with it, ,the 2 DACs and 2 amplifiers are that improve the overall sound. Cable itself has nothing to do with it. Unfortunately in 3.5mm SE configuration Onkyo DP X1 won't turn on both DACs and amps, if it did, Balanced output would be useless. Running separate Ground does nothing for a 1.2m cable.

Just to make sure we are talking about the same thing, and use same terms, what does Ground means? Every driver is fed by + and -, yes? Usually cables are colour coded - is blue, and + is Red. In Singe Ended cable Ground, the -, the blue cable is Ground. In balanced amps each channel has its own Ground. Thats why using 2.5mm Male Balanced to 3.5mm SE Female adaptor works flawlessly, Ground of L and R channels is same, they simply have separate run from amps power output chip. You can short the Ground wires, and nothing happens, because in reality you are not shorting anything, they are same thing. Short it all you want, for a signal in 2 meters long cable it won't make a slightest bit of difference. In 10 meters it may. In 100 meters it most certainly will, cable will pick up noise, we hear it as 'hum'.

The only difference between Balanced, and SE cable is one thing, Balanced runs a separate, dedicated Ground cable from each amp. It benefits only if cables are very long, hundreds of meters. Every cable acts as an antenna, picking up noise. With headphones, with cables not longer than 2 meters, 6 ft, there is absolutely no benefit using Balanced cable. It is used in very long runs at concert venues, large recording studios, Balanced cable's separate Ground shields the signal, and cable doesn't pick up as much noise. In home use it has no benefit.
Except these very few units, where using TRRS Balanced is of benefit, Onkyo is one of them.

Sadly, this Balanced thing has become marketing trick, just like bi wiring in loudspeaker business in the 90s. People were told be reviewers (sneaky, paid advertising agents) that running 2 sets of speaker wire is much, much better, and cable companies sold miles and miles of cables, for absolutely useless double run of speaker cables.

Now the same thing is happening with Balanced headphone cables. There are so called reviewers, who know better, but promote Balanced cables for headphones and for sources that have no benefits whatsoever by running separate Ground lead to each ear piece. Remember, Balanced simply means seapate Ground wire. For 100 years common Ground was good enough for home use, not any more lol.

And then there are so called reviewers, who are simply clueless. Being a 'reviewer' gets them lots of freebies, lots of samples.. maybe they calling themselves a reviewer works for self esteem. Who knows. But they can serious damage, and disservice to people who read their stuff, and believe every word. It's waste of money, but worse, being made a fool.

To recap, unless the source has a need for Balanced cable (very few do) there's no benefit by running separate Ground to each ear piece, that's what Balanced means.
Spend your money on better headphones, forget cables. Especially Balanced cables.

Apologies for typos.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back