Audeze iSINE 10 & iSINE 20: Audeze releases two new IEM planar magnetic earphones
Jul 12, 2017 at 12:36 AM Post #3,002 of 7,353
Kmann, where's your " out of head" ex chart? Want to try all your magic settings....
I had designed/experimented with Stereo emulation presets that project a stereo image much larger and deeper than what headphones can normally produce. However these are Roon specific. If you use Roon and are familiar with the DSP engine in Roon, I will be happy to PM you the presets. I have shared it with few Head-fiers who are also Roon users and own iSine10/20 or LCD-i4.

Jul 12, 2017 at 2:00 AM Post #3,003 of 7,353
I had designed/experimented with Stereo emulation presets that project a stereo image much larger and deeper than what headphones can normally produce. However these are Roon specific. If you use Roon and are familiar with the DSP engine in Roon, I will be happy to PM you the presets. I have shared it with few Head-fiers who are also Roon users and own iSine10/20 or LCD-i4.
would those work with other headphones, like my Elears? They are pretty similar in tonality to the cipher'ed i20, if that matters. Would be fun to try out.

Jul 12, 2017 at 2:35 AM Post #3,004 of 7,353
would those work with other headphones, like my Elears? They are pretty similar in tonality to the cipher'ed i20, if that matters. Would be fun to try out.
KMann's stereo emulation filters work great with my Aeons, but not so well with my He1000v2. The only way to tell is to try it I think, as your ear geometry plays a part.

One thing I can say for sure though is that they are amazing with the iSines.

Jul 12, 2017 at 4:15 AM Post #3,005 of 7,353
They were designed for open in-ears, specifically the iSines and i4. When used with other headphones that are close to neutral, they would convey a sense of space, but tonally may not be satisfactory as your outer ear gets involved and the filters I use do not account for it.

Jul 12, 2017 at 4:59 AM Post #3,006 of 7,353
Totally agree but with a caveat, they need a good source. I use my dx200 and they sound great. Otherwise they will sound good but not at their potential.

Question. If AKG N40 is as good as iSine20 the why buy Isine for a higher price?

Jul 12, 2017 at 7:55 AM Post #3,007 of 7,353
We have posted on this before. The iSine10/20 with regular cable sounds really good. Even the iSine10 has lower distortion than almost any in-ear (multi thousand $ inears) in the market and is quite linear. There are no phase issues etc. With the DSP in the digital cable, we add the cherry on top of the icecream. We add a little bit of pinna and concha response to make it sound even better. Because the distortion is so low on the transducers we can play with the DSP. The lightning cable is not mandatory and we sell them both.
@Audeze I'm convinced that whatever "Magic" you have going on with the Cipher cable on the iSine's it's a winner. I much prefer it than the regular cable regardless of any external amping I've tried. I can't seem to match the sound qualities that the Cipher cable provides even when I try an EQ. Thanks for an amazing product.

Jul 12, 2017 at 8:05 AM Post #3,008 of 7,353
Check out the trial of Audirvana 3+..., excellent sounding, great support
for AU plugins - Marvel GEQ is a superb free eq - and very, very widely recommended!
Thanks Headfry. I'll give it a shot but have been enjoying Roon the last few days (14 day trial version). It's not cheap but it's a nice app, switches between devices/amps easily, plays DSD files through my Mojo and WA8 without making you jump through hoops and has great eq options, including the filters and settings from KMann.

The "out of head" filter is pretty wild but my 2017 Macbook (the small fanless model, not the Macbook Pro) has a hard time keep up when playing DSD tracks. I suppose the processing power is more than it can handle which is surprising to me.

Acia - Have you experimented with other cables? Or have others? I'm fine using eq for the standard cable but if there was an option that brightened them up a bit without EQ I would be interested.

Jul 12, 2017 at 9:03 AM Post #3,009 of 7,353
@Audeze I'm convinced that whatever "Magic" you have going on with the Cipher cable on the iSine's it's a winner. I much prefer it than the regular cable regardless of any external amping I've tried. I can't seem to match the sound qualities that the Cipher cable provides even when I try an EQ. Thanks for an amazing product.
same here.

Jul 12, 2017 at 9:08 AM Post #3,010 of 7,353
Hi everyone. I have a very weird issue with a new pair of iSine 20.
While expecting a reply from the Audeze Support, I would like to get some owners' opinions on this. Below is a copy of what I sent earlier today to the manufacturer:

'I have played my the iSine 20s for three days now. Tried with Cipher cable, as well as normal 3.5 mm jack cable. Both directly out of iPhone/iPad, as well as using an external DAC/amplifier (Chord Hugo).
No matter how I connect them, there is one thing that is absent – bass.

Do not get me wrong here, I did not expect any Beats-like oomph that will shake your head. I am a long-time audiophile and I know how linear response down to 20 Hz sounds. Owned and auditioned many headphones/IEMs. What I remember from my SINEs (as well as LCD3 which I used to own), has nothing in common with the emptiness in the lower region I hear now from the iSine.

For example, even my iPhone earbuds absolutely kill the 20s in the bass region.

I tried running audio test tones. Here are the results:

20 Hz absolutely inaudible at any volume level

30 Hz inaudible (very low-level response appears at maximum volume level)

40 Hz audible but very low in level

This is definitely not Cipher issue, same results were with an external DAC/amp. To check if iPhone/iPad outputs were OK, I listened the same test tones via my Mr. Speakers headphones. All above tests tones played OK.

Changing the EQ settings does not help at all. Increasing the 32 Hz all the way up to +10 dB is not audible (other frequencies are working OK).

All the reviews and feedback available online do not even hint on such sound signature as a common issue of iSine 20, so I suppose that the pair I got is just faulty.'

Internet search, reviews, searching on this forum did not return anyone having a similar issue.

Jul 12, 2017 at 9:23 AM Post #3,011 of 7,353
I have tried several music players now including Neutron, onkyo hf player and poweramp all playing off my galaxy s8plus connected to the phone through my usb dac - hifime sabre 9018. I have tried several different eq settings and while they do change the sound a bit it is not that much ( granted I don't know what I am doing in changing the settings ) to me they sound great without any eq at all

Jul 12, 2017 at 9:23 AM Post #3,012 of 7,353
I have the 20's and with the 3.55 mm cable the quantity and quality of bass is source dependent. With the Cipher cable the bass has weight, impact, depth. The DSP in the DAC is tuned that way. My best advice is get your distributor to send you a replacement if you think they are faulty. you may also want to try all the tips provided. I started with the smallest smooth and finally settled on the large groovy tips. I have also noticed that using the ear hooks helps keep them sealed much better than the in ear ones

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2017 at 10:08 AM Post #3,013 of 7,353
While expecting a reply from the Audeze Support, I would like to get some owners' opinions on this. Below is a copy of what I sent earlier today to the manufacturer:

'I have played my the iSine 20s for three days now. Tried with Cipher cable, as well as normal 3.5 mm jack cable. Both directly out of iPhone/iPad, as well as using an external DAC/amplifier (Chord Hugo).

Do not get me wrong here, I did not expect any Beats-like oomph that will shake your head. I am a long-time audiophile and I know how linear response down to 20 Hz sounds. Owned and auditioned many headphones/IEMs. What I remember from my SINEs (as well as LCD3 which I used to own), has nothing in common with the emptiness in the lower region I hear now from the iSine.

This is definitely not Cipher issue, same results were with an external DAC/amp. To check if iPhone/iPad outputs were OK, I listened the same test tones via my Mr. Speakers headphones. All above tests tones played OK.

Changing the EQ settings does not help at all. Increasing the 32 Hz all the way up to +10 dB is not audible (other frequencies are working OK).

All the reviews and feedback available online do not even hint on such sound signature as a common issue of iSine 20, so I suppose that the pair I got is just faulty.'

Internet search, reviews, searching on this forum did not return anyone having a similar issue.
WuDu32 - I'm sure you've tried this but try changing out the tips if you haven't already. These do not seal like typical IEM but they still need to fit right. I found the comply tips work great and the bass is fantastic. What you're describing is not normal but I was not happy with mine when I first received them. After changing the tips things have been great.

Jul 12, 2017 at 1:54 PM Post #3,015 of 7,353

weird. Sure you have a decent seal? If you do, bass should be great no matter if you use stock or comply tips, especially with the cipher. My isines had tight, clean, punchy bass that seemed to extend endlessly, even with stock tips as long as I had a seal. With comply tips, I could literally feel my face vibrate and a tickle in my chest.

You either have no seal at all, or you got a faulty unit. 100% sure of this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back