Audeze iSINE 10 & iSINE 20: Audeze releases two new IEM planar magnetic earphones
Jul 10, 2017 at 6:36 PM Post #2,986 of 7,352
Kmann, have a client listening to these through a new DAC. I have neutron loaded onto an android setup.
It looks to have a 9 band Peq. What are the individual "cypher like" settings and what are you setting the pre amp value too?
Peq is a little quirky to set up. Thanks!

Jul 10, 2017 at 7:04 PM Post #2,987 of 7,352
Neutron player supports parametric EQ and you should be able to try any of the EQs I posted here. The third one is the equivalent of Cipher EQ.

If you use Q factor instead of BW (Band-width), you can directly plug in the values from the EQ I published. In the Neutron, if you click the 'Gear' icon for the individual filter, it will show you an UI and you can click 'Parameter type' to switch to Q from BW. In my settings, Gain->Q are 'peak' filters and Shift are High shelf filters.

You will also se few other simpler EQ some prefer (just look a few posts up). Hope this helped.

Jul 10, 2017 at 7:45 PM Post #2,988 of 7,352
Ok so....

1. I set the EQ to parameter.
2. Click on the first band, then first choice (freq.) and set to 394.4 (cant get it exactly only to 394?)
3. Click on gain and set to 3.130 again cant get exact.
4. Click on Q and set to 0.911.When I hit the gear icon, it brings up Filter type, parameter type, and color.
Are these set individually for (freq., gain and Q) or just once per band?

Also under filter I have filter type, parameter type, and color. Parameter I'm assuming is Q, what about filter type?
I hit that geat icon and I get...Low shelf, high shelf, peak EQ, low pass, high pass, band stop, band pass.

When you said, " In my settings, Gain->Q are 'peak' filters and Shift are High shelf filters" it threw me off a little : )))

Thanks Pal.

Jul 11, 2017 at 12:34 AM Post #2,989 of 7,352
Ok so....

1. I set the EQ to parameter.
2. Click on the first band, then first choice (freq.) and set to 394.4 (cant get it exactly only to 394?)
3. Click on gain and set to 3.130 again cant get exact.
4. Click on Q and set to 0.911.When I hit the gear icon, it brings up Filter type, parameter type, and color.
Are these set individually for (freq., gain and Q) or just once per band?

Also under filter I have filter type, parameter type, and color. Parameter I'm assuming is Q, what about filter type?
I hit that geat icon and I get...Low shelf, high shelf, peak EQ, low pass, high pass, band stop, band pass.

When you said, " In my settings, Gain->Q are 'peak' filters and Shift are High shelf filters" it threw me off a little : )))

Thanks Pal.

It is OK if you cannot get the frequency and gain to be exact. Frequency rounded to integer and gain to the first decimal will work just fine, same with Q rounded to first decimal.

Each parametric filter is defined by four parameters: Filter type, Frequency, Gain and Q. So you will choose the filter type only once per band.

For each band, when you hit the gear icon, you set parameter type to Q, then filter type will be either Peak EQ or High shelf. You chose 'Peak EQ' if in my setting you see 'Gain -> Q' at the bottom. You choose 'High Shelf' if you see 'Shift' in my setting.

Jul 11, 2017 at 3:40 AM Post #2,990 of 7,352
I was pretty interested in these cans at first, but it's quite concerning to see multi-hundred dollar headphones needing massive EQing (+/- 6 to 13 dB) to sound good...

Jul 11, 2017 at 5:42 AM Post #2,991 of 7,352
Blame the built-in, non-changeable default EQ in the iSINE lightning cable. Half the people like its sound signature. The Audeze app lets you tweak that sound but, by default, it's not flat.

An app like Neutron allows you to add it in though. You can get it to almost match exactly due to its excellent EQ. The only problem is you are stuck using the app you set the EQ in and have to live with its UI.

Edit: Fixed bad wording.

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2017 at 6:57 AM Post #2,992 of 7,352
Thanks Kmann! I'm not setting any pre amp correct?
Lastly, can I save your numbers as a preset in neutron when using the isines? We have another set of iems that need tweaking too. Oh! And should we leave the 64bit sampling button engaged in the Neutron settings panel? Thank God your familiar with this program! Thanks again Sir.

Jul 11, 2017 at 10:49 AM Post #2,993 of 7,352
I have used them with my Shanling M5/ Aune B1 stack FLAT EQ. They sound awesome. EQing them is a matter of Audio Preference, not required. I maxed the 1st 3 Bass frequencies on my 10 band equalizer, ONLY because I am somewhat of an admitted Basshead.

Alas, I missed being given the true audiophile gene at birth.....

Truth be Told, the iSines are quite good. You can bank on it.

TWIN

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2017 at 1:54 PM Post #2,994 of 7,352
Thanks Kmann! I'm not setting any pre amp correct?
Lastly, can I save your numbers as a preset in neutron when using the isines? We have another set of iems that need tweaking too. Oh! And should we leave the 64bit sampling button engaged in the Neutron settings panel? Thank God your familiar with this program! Thanks again Sir.

Neutron lets you create new presets and also rename them, the UI is weird, but if you press and hold a preset, it will give you options one of which is to rename. Any change you make to the presets is saved automatically as long as you do not uninstall the app.

Pre-amp gain, leave it at 0 or at -3dB to be extra safe and prevent clipping.

I am not sure about 64 bit processing, it will depend on your DAC, try with and without it.

Jul 11, 2017 at 2:58 PM Post #2,995 of 7,352
I was pretty interested in these cans at first, but it's quite concerning to see multi-hundred dollar headphones needing massive EQing (+/- 6 to 13 dB) to sound good...

We have posted on this before. The iSine10/20 with regular cable sounds really good. Even the iSine10 has lower distortion than almost any in-ear (multi thousand $ inears) in the market and is quite linear. There are no phase issues etc. With the DSP in the digital cable, we add the cherry on top of the icecream. We add a little bit of pinna and concha response to make it sound even better. Because the distortion is so low on the transducers we can play with the DSP. The lightning cable is not mandatory and we sell them both.

Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Jul 11, 2017 at 4:58 PM Post #2,996 of 7,352
We have posted on this before. The iSine10/20 with regular cable sounds really good. Even the iSine10 has lower distortion than almost any in-ear (multi thousand $ inears) in the market and is quite linear. There are no phase issues etc. With the DSP in the digital cable, we add the cherry on top of the icecream. We add a little bit of pinna and concha response to make it sound even better. Because the distortion is so low on the transducers we can play with the DSP. The lightning cable is not mandatory and we sell them both.
Agree with this. Even without eq, they sound incredibly good for being IEMs. But adding eq brings them to another level imo, where they can compete, as headphones, against full-size open headphones in the 1000$ range. And that is pretty insane. They also respond incredibly well to eq, far better than any other headphone I've tried.

Jul 11, 2017 at 5:59 PM Post #2,997 of 7,352
Agree with this. Even without eq, they sound incredibly good for being IEMs. But adding eq brings them to another level imo, where they can compete, as headphones, against full-size open headphones in the 1000$ range. And that is pretty insane. They also respond incredibly well to eq, far better than any other headphone I've tried.
Seconded...I think the issue is people listen with the Cipher cable, get used to the sound signature and then initially think it sounds off without.

To me, it's a misunderstanding that they need EQ to sound good. They sound excellent with no EQ, but EQ'd to your own personal taste takes them into the realms of amazing. It's the same with my desktop speakers, Kef X300A. No EQ and there are plenty of wow moments, but with a bit of bass EQ'd in they step up to a whole new level.

Thanks to KMann I've now come to understand that EQ is something to enhance sound to my personal taste, and I'm enjoying experimenting with it. It's not something that I'm using to make them listenable by any means.

Jul 11, 2017 at 7:45 PM Post #2,998 of 7,352
Don't mistake my EQ concerns for hate, though. I'm even wondering if it would make sense to replace my beloved, yet huge & heavy HE-500 for an iSine 10/20! But I'd only do that if I were sure I wouldn't lose anything sound-wise (e.g., soundstage, low-frequency extension) :D

Jul 11, 2017 at 8:35 PM Post #2,999 of 7,352
Hello all. This is my first post here but I've read through most of the thread over the past month...

Stupid question.... I have some high resolution files on my MAC but I primarily stream Tidal Hifi/MQA and am happy with the quality. I've seen the various official and unofficial EQ settings posted on this site but since I do not use an EQ for my full size earphones I need a recommendation on the best way to approach this. I have a trial version of Amarra for Tidal which includes an EQ but the app is a little flaky. What other options would fellow Tidal/MAC users recommend? Tidal does not have an EQ built into the app but the app itself is great. Is there a way to use Tidal and a separate EQ app? Or is there another option Tidal support app I should consider?

Check out the trial of Audirvana 3+..., excellent sounding, great support
for AU plugins - Marvel GEQ is a superb free eq - and very, very widely recommended!

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2017 at 11:17 PM Post #3,000 of 7,352
Get a custom cable bring out even more juice!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back