Audeze iSINE 10 & iSINE 20: Audeze releases two new IEM planar magnetic earphones
May 18, 2017 at 10:10 AM Post #2,326 of 7,352
Mm...2 pin cable inserts just fine. Problem though is standard 2 pin cables have plastic overmolds and are designed for overear deployment rather than straight down as what the iSine requires. I've used my Crystal Cable Next 2 pin with my iSine 10. It fits perfectly. The plastic overmold can straigthened. Not the best looking solution but at least it works. Pins are not the problem but the overmold. So, you need to have one made without the overmold.

Last edited:
May 18, 2017 at 10:27 AM Post #2,327 of 7,352
I am a bit lost, since I can't search the topic...

Why not? Searching within a thread was implemented more than a week ago.

Search.png
I would like to know how the ISINE 20 differs when driven with Cypher cable against driven from Mojo .

I haven't done any direct head-to-head comparisons between the Mojo and Cipher. I have different use cases for the iSINE 20 when at home or when on the move.

May 18, 2017 at 1:10 PM Post #2,329 of 7,352
May 18, 2017 at 1:12 PM Post #2,330 of 7,352
https://www.toxic-cables.co.uk/product/black-widow-24-occ-copper-litz-earphone-cable/
Will any of these connectors fit the isines? Thinking about the notch on the isine connector, I don't want to have to cut a notch on the connector myself.
If not, does anyone know of a similar-priced cable that fits the isines without mods?

You can always just email Frank from Toxic and ask. The Venture Electronics Espresso cables fit and are cheap, but you have to make sure to order the 78mm pin size.

May 18, 2017 at 3:38 PM Post #2,332 of 7,352
I received the groovy tips and large earhooks, and I've had good results with both so far.

groove.jpg

The groovy tips are firm and provide good support over a larger area, which is good -- with the stock eartips and to a lesser degree with the JVC spiral dots, the small area in the ear canal that was taking the weight of the earphone could become a hotspot over longer periods. Comply foam is even better than the groovy tips in this regard, but for me didn't work as well sound-wise, and required shallower insertion, which put the hooks/earlocks at an awkward angle for my ears. The groovy tips can sit deeply or shallowly without changing sound quality, as far as I can tell, so whatever angle should be possible.

One thing about the groovy tips though as it if there's any in/out motion (on insertion, or if you have a loose fit and you're moving around/talking) the grooves make a washboard sort of noise moving over the skin in my ear. This is noticeable a lot for me with the small tips but only occasionally with the medium ones.

The hooks are a huge improvement for my ears over the stock hooks. (I guess I have really huge ears.) The stock hooks in almost any position would push against the cartilage in my ear in a painful way, and would carry weight again in only a small area, causing hotspots. The new hooks contact more surface area on my ear and I think are slightly softer? And they have a different surface texture, which may help also. Still can become a little uncomfortable when wearing for a long time straight. I haven't decided whether I prefer them to the earlocks.

May 18, 2017 at 4:19 PM Post #2,333 of 7,352
Announcing new firmware (v5.0.5) with updated volume settings

[size=12.8px]We wish to thank the Head-fi community for your valuable feedback related to volume settings and also for helping us Beta test the changes. [/size][size=12.8px]Based on your input, we have released a new firmware (5.0.5) for iSine10/20 to address the volume related feedback we received.[/size]
[size=12.8px]
  1. This firmware update offers better granularity at lower volume settings. The first click will be about 18dB less loud than the current first click and the 4th click will be equivalent to the current first click. Clicks 10-15 would raise more rapidly in levels and the loudest setting at click 15(if you dare to go there) will be the same.
  2. There are no changes to anything else. So if you are happy with the current volume settings, you need not update your firmware.
  3. You will need the Audeze App to do the firmware update. Recommended prep for the firmware update:
    1. XXX IMPORTANT XXX Please ensure your Audeze app is updated before proceeding
    2. Please make sure your iDevice has at least 50% charge.
    3. Make sure you have very stable wireless internet connection.
    4. Change your iDevice setting so that it does not go to sleep, i.e., temporarily turn off the 'auto-lock' (Settings -> Display & Brightness-> Auto-lock->never)
    5. Plug Cipher cable then open Audeze app, then press the 'gear' icon on the top right, then press update firmware, say yes to the dialog.
    6. It should show the progress. It will first say downloading/flashing firmware and then downloading/flashing resources. this could take a few minutes.
    7. Once it is done, unplug the cable, close the Audeze app (double press home button, swipe away the app).
    8. Plug the cable back, open the Audeze app, press the gear icon, verify that it says the firmware is on 5.0.5. You are good to go!
  4. Troubleshooting: In some rare cases, we have seen that the app is stuck at 'flashing resources' for several minutes even though the flashing was completed. If you do not see it progress after 5 minutes, unplug the cable, restart your iDevice, plug the cable back, open the Audeze app and verify that you are on 5.0.5. If it is still on 5.0.1 or 5.0.2, try updating firmware again.
[/size]

I try updating the firmware, hang a few times. Now I'm on cypher 0.4.1 (el-

On version 0.4.1, Audeze app sometimes do recognise new firmware available. After updating it's still the same Version 0.4.1

Any advise ?

9945177.png

Attachments

• IMG_6275.PNG
    IMG_6275.PNG
    161.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
May 18, 2017 at 11:33 PM Post #2,334 of 7,352
Mm...2 pin cable inserts just fine. Problem though is standard 2 pin cables have plastic overmolds and are designed for overear deployment rather than straight down as what the iSine requires. I've used my Crystal Cable Next 2 pin with my iSine 10. It fits perfectly. The plastic overmold can straigthened. Not the best looking solution but at least it works. Pins are not the problem but the overmold. So, you need to have one made without the overmold.

I was told, in passing, that any 2-pin cable fitting Westone IEMs will work too. In any case, the iSines have been in the market long enough, cablers should know the pin type by now. Just tell them what you've got, and require the correct connectors.

Last edited:
May 19, 2017 at 5:01 AM Post #2,335 of 7,352
I try updating the firmware, hang a few times. Now I'm on cypher 0.4.1 (el-

On version 0.4.1, Audeze app sometimes do recognise new firmware available. After updating it's still the same Version 0.4.1

Any advise ?
@s1190 Exactly the problem I had at a dealer. The dealer was originally told there was a workaround but that wasn't successful so unfortunately they had to send the unit back to Audeze for a replacement. This is quite worrying that firmware updates can potentially brick the cipher cable if not done absolutely correctly. Even with a 'strong and stable' (as Theresa May would say) WiFi connection, there is always a risk of signal drop-out, and in some cases that can potentially break your cipher cable with no way of recovering it.
@Audeze, are you also concerned about this and are you working on a more unbreakable method of firmware upgrade?

Last edited:
May 19, 2017 at 5:12 AM Post #2,336 of 7,352
You can always just email Frank from Toxic and ask. The Venture Electronics Espresso cables fit and are cheap, but you have to make sure to order the 78mm pin size.

Wow, the VE cable really is cheap. So the straight .78 2-pin have the same notch as the isines? If so, I'll definitely buy one. Thanks for your advice!

Emailed Toxic cables and asked, but haven't gotten any answer yet. Anyway, the VE cable is way cheaper.

May 19, 2017 at 5:12 AM Post #2,337 of 7,352
Looking at the specs of the new iSine LCDi4, I wonder why the distortion is higher than the iSine 20? Considering the magnesium body being more rigid and the thinner diaphragm?

May 19, 2017 at 6:13 AM Post #2,338 of 7,352
Why not? Searching within a thread was implemented more than a week ago.

I haven't done any direct head-to-head comparisons between the Mojo and Cipher. I have different use cases for the iSINE 20 when at home or when on the move.

Thanks for the info on how to search a thread!

It's just that I need some supporting words on synergy between Mojo and isine 20 to pull the trigger.

Cheers

May 19, 2017 at 10:11 AM Post #2,340 of 7,352
So the right side of my beloved iSines just died :frowning2:(
I think it's a connector issue, if I wiggle the cable loosely whithout putting all the way into the socket, I can get some sound out of it. Same problem with both analog and cipher cable, so it seems the fault lies in the iem itself. Has anyone else had this issue?

I'm gonna contact my local dealer where I bought them and try to sort things out, really don't want to send them all the way to the US (I live in Norway).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back