Audeze iSINE 10 & iSINE 20: Audeze releases two new IEM planar magnetic earphones
Dec 26, 2016 at 12:56 PM Post #856 of 7,352
I think we had this friendly debate before, about whether apple will switch to USB c for iPhones and iPads. While I hope I'm wrong, I don't believe they will, because they will be losing a significant revenue source. They're earning big bucks now from their MFI program and they can't be charging for USB C, which is open source.

This is another reason why I'm firmly Android. In the near future, every device will have USB c and only apple products will be stuck with lightning and USB c.

Actually I am less concerned with which connector is used but more with the question that cables with builtin DAC and DSP correction leads to headphones which require that digital correction to sound best. I hope the iSines are not one of these.

Dec 27, 2016 at 3:26 AM Post #857 of 7,352
Actually I am less concerned with which connector is used but more with the question that cables with builtin DAC and DSP correction leads to headphones which require that digital correction to sound best. I hope the iSines are not one of these.

Unfortunately this was my experience with them. Straight out of my DPX1, a dap that even made the HD650 sings, the isine sounds very muddy and just terrible in general.

With the lightning cable and straight out of my iPhone, it became a whole other beast. I tried this with both 10 and 20 and got the same experience.

Dec 27, 2016 at 3:37 AM Post #858 of 7,352
Unfortunately this was my experience with them. Straight out of my DPX1, a dap that even made the HD650 sings, the isine sounds very muddy and just terrible in general.

With the lightning cable and straight out of my iPhone, it became a whole other beast. I tried this with both 10 and 20 and got the same experience.

I'm not surprised if iSine sounds best with the lightning cable. Tried the 10 and 20 with DP-X1A also and really find the 20 to be very bad. Just very harsh and overall sounds odd. The 10 actually sounded better, very clear and neutral to my ears. Didn't try the lightning cable as I won't be using my phone as a music player. 

Dec 28, 2016 at 6:01 AM Post #859 of 7,352
The iSine10 and 20 both work very well with just the regular cable. The iSine10/20s scale very well with amplifiers as well. They are powerful enough and can handle even full sized amplifiers. Since the distortion is low even at high SPLs, the sound is very clean. You do not need DSP/Lightning.

Without any correction, the iSine10s probably have an order of magnitude less THD than even the top of the line from many brands. We have published some graphs on this thread in the past and they were measured using the regular analog cable. We have measured them against BAs and Electrostatic IEMs that cost several thousand dollars and the iSine10s have less THD overall, better phase coherency and imaging.

The DSP / Calibration is the cherry on the top. 

Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Dec 28, 2016 at 6:54 AM Post #860 of 7,352
The iSine10 and 20 both work very well with just the regular cable. The iSine10/20s scale very well with amplifiers as well. They are powerful enough and can handle even full sized amplifiers. Since the distortion is low even at high SPLs, the sound is very clean. You do not need DSP/Lightning.

Without any correction, the iSine10s probably have an order of magnitude less THD than even the top of the line from many brands. We have published some graphs on this thread in the past and they were measured using the regular analog cable. We have measured them against BAs and Electrostatic IEMs that cost several thousand dollars and the iSine10s have less THD overall, better phase coherency and imaging.

The DSP / Calibration is the cherry on the top. 

The question now is ... When is it going to be shipping :grin:

Dec 28, 2016 at 3:58 PM Post #862 of 7,352
Here is an email I sent to Audeze about Isine and their response  Can anybody decifer this?

Riley
Dec 24, 5:32 AM PST

How well do the Isine 20s block outside noise? Would they block enough for car trips with windows closed and tan audio book being played on the car stereo at moderate to low volumes and the passengers conversation at a reasonably quiet volume? How much sound do they leak being open back? Is it audible from a few feet or less away? Would these work for my purposes?

Thanks

Riley Beale

1Gdcfj9n8M9ZDpdNZEJ375Ngo6RJ7U3dyV2NJjJozHktvvSWqTQxlI1VQhZcn5Gf1zweUsUDq9pYRzCE-z6u6D_kU64ZCxPV6_dRzgyhgBcfYi5N81y3kAKq6jTWTIWzQ0GzAd-UJ90nFXfWbd4EQcvzYvLXZbiFdnNdb_qqvTZCnGvAC3STolurgNebfyesT5JERbP1ayqQt76dBztJGMJk5Zh75vf3bFneoTDCO6_iw5w=s0-d-e1-ft

Chris Berens (Audeze Customer Service Center)
Dec 27, 11:12 AM PST

Hi Riley

Thanks for your inquiry. Due to the nature of the driver design and the damping material there is little leakage outward. The geometry of the driver housing along with the ear tip and damping material blocks a lot of ambient sound and provides reasonable passive isolation. In practical terms, you should be able to hear blasters firing and lightsabers clashing, but you may not hear Vader breathing if he sneaks up behind you. You most likely won't be confused for a malfunctioning droid either, but if you play back your rebel secrets loud enough a keen-eared bounty hunter might hear you.

We recommend you give them a try once they come out: as with all our products, if you buy them directly from us you can return them within 30 days for a refund (and many of our dealers have a similar return program).

Hope this helps, and feel free to contact us again with any further questions.
All the Best
Chris

Dec 28, 2016 at 4:52 PM Post #863 of 7,352
Isolation is okay (not good or great) and it leaks a bit if you turn up the volume high enough.
Someone just saw Rogues One, I guess
rolleyes.gif

Dec 28, 2016 at 4:57 PM Post #864 of 7,352
  Isolation is okay (not good or great) and it leaks a bit if you turn up the volume high enough.
Someone just saw Rogues One, I guess
rolleyes.gif

Is isolation worse than Sennheiser ie 80?  Those are not the best, but the least amount of isolation I could use.  Thanks.  I don't do sci fi stuff so this was beyond my expertise.  Seems like Chris oversold them a lot.

Dec 28, 2016 at 5:08 PM Post #865 of 7,352
Just got my iSine20s.  Right now all I can say is WOW.  Incredible and well defined bass listening to the Wailers, bootleg Dylan-you are right there.  Pavarotti doing La Donna E Mobile - Excellent  sound stage wonderful attack.  A phone never sound so good  Really really wow.  Only thing bad so far is some bootleg Dead - almost unlistenable because so much seems missing.  

Dec 28, 2016 at 5:17 PM Post #866 of 7,352
  Is isolation worse than Sennheiser ie 80?

Seems like Chris oversold them a lot.

Probably is.

Welcome to Head-Fi, only trust your own ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back