Audeze iSINE 10 & iSINE 20: Audeze releases two new IEM planar magnetic earphones
Jun 15, 2017 at 10:56 AM Post #2,716 of 7,352
i like to use small silicone tips and get them in deep. if I do shallow insertion I get very little bass and peaky highs, cant imagine they are supposed to be worn without a good seal. They are open back, but they are still air tight. Creating an air tight seal is important in my experience.

Jun 15, 2017 at 11:07 AM Post #2,717 of 7,352
i like to use small silicone tips and get them in deep. if I do shallow insertion I get very little bass and peaky highs, cant imagine they are supposed to be worn without a good seal. They are open back, but they are still air tight. Creating an air tight seal is important in my experience.
Most people use a shallow insertion but with a good seal. I use a deeper insertion with large tips, but a good seal is important no matter the insertion depth.

Jun 15, 2017 at 12:22 PM Post #2,718 of 7,352
couple days with the 10's and really like the sound - to me they sound close to my hifiman 400s both off my jds labs amp. My question is I have the chance to pick up a sennheiser ie800 for next to nothing and wondering how these would compare to the isine 10's

Jun 15, 2017 at 7:30 PM Post #2,719 of 7,352
I also like Kmann's EQ but I altered it by running the 3 lowest frequency bands at +6 dB and it really fills out the sound. Not exactly audiophile EQ but it is mean....

TWIN

Jun 15, 2017 at 8:16 PM Post #2,720 of 7,352
couple days with the 10's and really like the sound - to me they sound close to my hifiman 400s both off my jds labs amp. My question is I have the chance to pick up a sennheiser ie800 for next to nothing and wondering how these would compare to the isine 10's
Are you eq'ing the isines? Recommend you try it if not.
All reviews/impressions/comparisons would imply that these outclass ie800

Jun 16, 2017 at 9:02 PM Post #2,722 of 7,352
My iSine 20's are bloody fantastic driven by my QP1R. And the the ISINE 20 was of great comfort to me last Friday and Saturday. I had a emergency appendectomy, done on me last Friday afternoon. And I could wear my iSine 20, without interfering with the oxygen tube and allowed me to freel talk to my wonderful nurses. I just plugged in some Mozart and enjoyed my music on a head full of pain medicine. My only regret that I did not think to bring my QP1R charger. But a burst appendix tends to make one forgetful.

Jun 16, 2017 at 10:49 PM Post #2,723 of 7,352
My iSine 20's are bloody fantastic driven by my QP1R. And the the ISINE 20 was of great comfort to me last Friday and Saturday. I had a emergency appendectomy, done on me last Friday afternoon. And I could wear my iSine 20, without interfering with the oxygen tube and allowed me to freel talk to my wonderful nurses. I just plugged in some Mozart and enjoyed my music on a head full of pain medicine. My only regret that I did not think to bring my QP1R charger. But a burst appendix tends to make one forgetful.

We are glad to hear you are doing well.

Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Jun 17, 2017 at 12:22 PM Post #2,725 of 7,352
Frustrating day today. I have been demoing my JH Audio Roxanne versus the Audeze iSine 20 today. There are perplexing findings with respect to tonality, and fidelity. While not completely and perfectly scientific I have been ABing them between a few of my normal configurations that I use on a weekly basis. For the longest time Tidal - Audirvana + - Supra Toslink - Chord Mojo - Roxanne on a Hot Rodded Mac Book Pro (Quad Core , 16 GB RAM, SSD etc) has been my reference. Minus imaging and staging it is near perfect. I purchased the iSine20 due to the great reviews. I have completed a 10 hour burn in using many different tracks. This morning I started listening to different tracks and noticed they don't sound like they should. I noticed that between my reference computer setup using the 3.5 cable with the mojo, using the 3.5 cable on my iPhone 7, using the Cipher cable on the iPhone 7, and swapping between the Roxannes and the iSine20s that there were many different presentations of the music (many incorrect).

Using "Please Read the Letter" from the "Raising Sand" album on Tidal I simplified it to one track to prove my point. The toms are not right, they sound compressed and unnatural under the Computer - mojo - 3.5 iSine config and the iPhone -3.5 iSine config. The toms should be fat and you should hear the skin with some taughtness. You should hear the drum causing the skin to move, not be tight like a snare. This is best on the Roxannes with the same configuration. However, the cipher iPhone config is decent but not perfect. The part where Allison Kraus and Robert Plant harmonize breaks up and compresses under all iSine20 configurations. The Roxannes keep those passages coherent with Allison's voice staying delicate and feminine. My comments are not a matter of preference or subjectivity. They are objectively wrong. I know how a drum as well as a man and a woman voice should sound. I can give many of example of tracks not being presented correct in each band (subs, mid bass, midrange, high).

With all these great reviews I am perplexed. Are people on this forum not fully evaluating the iSine20? Do I have too high of a standard for the iSines20s? I am not "trolling or hating on" Audeze, I am trying to understand my purchase of nearly $600.

Jun 17, 2017 at 12:49 PM Post #2,727 of 7,352
Have you put in the right eq settings for the iSine 20? If you are not using the cipher cable then eqing is a must or it won't sound right I have heard. I always use the cipher cable so it is not an issue for me.

I don't think EQing will correct the break up problem. I think it might be a case of the membrane trying and failing to do too much at once.

As for EQing specific tracks that's a Pandora's box that I don't want to open. I would have to have a library of settings to correct many genres.

Jun 17, 2017 at 1:12 PM Post #2,728 of 7,352
I don't think EQing will correct the break up problem. I think it might be a case of the membrane trying and failing to do too much at once.

As for EQing specific tracks that's a Pandora's box that I don't want to open. I would have to have a library of settings to correct many genres.

Another thing to try is a different set of tips. How deeply you insert the isines definitely impacts the sound, both on the bass and the treble end, with some people preferring smaller tips and a deeper insertion, others preferring a larger tip with a shallower insertion, and others still preferring foam tips to the supplied silicones.

You should not be hearing compression/distortion on from the isines. It is possible that your pair is somehow damaged and not working properly. FWIW, I haven't listened to the JH Roxane's, but I have the JH16 pros and to my ears the isine 20s are more accurate and natural sounding than the JH16s.

Jun 17, 2017 at 8:33 PM Post #2,729 of 7,352
Another thing to try is a different set of tips. How deeply you insert the isines definitely impacts the sound, both on the bass and the treble end, with some people preferring smaller tips and a deeper insertion, others preferring a larger tip with a shallower insertion, and others still preferring foam tips to the supplied silicones.

You should not be hearing compression/distortion on from the isines. It is possible that your pair is somehow damaged and not working properly. FWIW, I haven't listened to the JH Roxane's, but I have the JH16 pros and to my ears the isine 20s are more accurate and natural sounding than the JH16s.

I tried both mounting options and multiple tips. I believe I have an ideal seal.

I don't believe I have a damaged model. On some tracks it does sound nice.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2017 at 4:55 AM Post #2,730 of 7,352
Frustrating day today.

Sorry to hear this!

Using "Please Read the Letter" from the "Raising Sand" album on Tidal I simplified it to one track to prove my point. The toms are not right, they sound compressed and unnatural under the Computer - mojo - 3.5 iSine config and the iPhone -3.5 iSine config. The toms should be fat and you should hear the skin with some taughtness. You should hear the drum causing the skin to move, not be tight like a snare. This is best on the Roxannes with the same configuration. However, the cipher iPhone config is decent but not perfect. The part where Allison Kraus and Robert Plant harmonize breaks up and compresses under all iSine20 configurations. The Roxannes keep those passages coherent with Allison's voice staying delicate and feminine. My comments are not a matter of preference or subjectivity. They are objectively wrong. I know how a drum as well as a man and a woman voice should sound. I can give many of example of tracks not being presented correct in each band (subs, mid bass, midrange, high).

With all these great reviews I am perplexed. Are people on this forum not fully evaluating the iSine20? Do I have too high of a standard for the iSines20s? I am not "trolling or hating on" Audeze, I am trying to understand my purchase of nearly $600.

Okay, I listened to this album via Qobuz (44.1, 16biz) on my Sony NW-ZX2 a) without EQ, b) with the Sony 5-band EW trying to have a isine30 equivalent, and c) using the Qobuz app on the iPad with the Cypher cable.

I also used quickly my Hifi Man RE 400 just because they were closest to me. So while I like Allison Kraus, I am not a big fan of this kind of music and at least for me it sounds compared to a Chesky record very compressed. But anyhow. So even with the simple Sony 5band EQ (no comparision to the Onkyo HF player EQ), it sounds muffled an unnatural without the EQ.

So if you are not willing to EQ it is highly unlikely that they will sound realy natural for you.

Or as Dr. Karthick Manivannan, Director of Research, Audeze LLC, wrote to me:

"The EQ adds back the effect of Pinna and concha that is generally missing in in-ear monitors. Because everyone's outer ear is different, there is no one-size fits all, so the EQ I provided is an average and would require some fine tuning like you have done for yourself."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back