Audeze EL-8 vs Oppo PM-3 Impressions
Mar 15, 2015 at 11:53 AM Post #16 of 214
I am also missing the slam a little bit, but the issue with the el-8 is that they look bigger and less portable and almost double the price, I am at the limit of how big I can go walk around with the PM-3.  

Mar 15, 2015 at 12:00 PM Post #19 of 214
Thank you! Here are my three questions:

1. Which one has larger diameter pads (go AROUND the ears instead of on-top-of the ears)?
2. Which one has deeper pads when worn, with higher distance to element/grille/cloth?
3. Which one isolates sounds (noise, etc) from outside better?

I ask this, because I am tired of returning "fully circumaural headphones", which even for medium-sized ears are NOT fully circumaural, but partially rest on the ears and which are too shallow, with ears tending to touch the cloth on the bottom of the pads (in front of the elements).

Thanks for any and all impressions on this!

Mar 15, 2015 at 12:05 PM Post #21 of 214
Thank you! Here are my three questions:

1. Which one has larger diameter pads (go AROUND the ears instead of on-top-of the ears)?
2. Which one has deeper pads when worn, with higher distance to element/grille/cloth?
3. Which one isolates sounds (noise, etc) from outside better?

I ask this, because I am tired of returning "fully circumaural headphones", which even for medium-sized ears are NOT fully circumaural, but partially rest on the ears and which are too shallow, with ears tending to touch the cloth on the bottom of the pads (in front of the elements).

Thanks for any and all impressions on this!

The el8 for all three. Much bigger unit all round and it feels it.

Mar 15, 2015 at 12:43 PM Post #22 of 214
Thanks for the impressions! How do you find the soundstage on both cans? Do either approximate the soundstage of a pair of open orthos like the LCD-3s or HiFiMAN HE-560?

Mar 15, 2015 at 12:53 PM Post #23 of 214
Thanks for the impressions! How do you find the soundstage on both cans? Do either approximate the soundstage of a pair of open orthos like the LCD-3s or HiFiMAN HE-560?

The EL8s are very close to the sound signature of the LCD3's it's amazing. Great warmth! Brilliant response and that trademark bass slam from audeze.

The sound from the EL8s is much more involving and personal, like you are much closer to the performance. The PM3 is like you are a bit further away.

Mar 15, 2015 at 1:00 PM Post #24 of 214
Thank you for the impressions.
Bigger thanks for the straightforward, to the point, honest opinion and answers.
It's refreshing, and saves me from having to waste time on page after page of fluff.

Mar 15, 2015 at 1:12 PM Post #25 of 214
Thank you for the impressions.
Bigger thanks for the straightforward, to the point, honest opinion and answers.
It's refreshing, and saves me from having to waste time on page after page of fluff.

Well said sir, I hate having to filter out fluff, for just unbiased facts on the given product.

Mar 15, 2015 at 1:14 PM Post #27 of 214
Are you going to be keeping the el8 considering you already have the LCD-3s?

Mar 15, 2015 at 1:50 PM Post #29 of 214
Agreed. My only thing is that I have been listening to open cans. I'm concerned that the closed back style makes everything sound "constricted"...is that the case?  
I don't have any open back to compare to, but my dt770 80ohm have a much larger sound stage. There is something about the pm-3 though that makes me want to use them more than the dt770.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back