Audeze EL-8 vs Oppo PM-3 Impressions
Jul 31, 2015 at 12:54 AM Post #196 of 214
Have incoming PM-3 for review.  Will be an interesting comparison to EL-8 Closed back
wink.gif

Aug 16, 2015 at 11:37 PM Post #197 of 214
Sep 8, 2015 at 5:11 PM Post #198 of 214
I've had trouble deciding if the Oppo PM-3 is right for me. I'm gonna have to try both the Oppo PM-3 and the Audeze EL-8 to see which suits me. They both have a great return policy so you can try them to see if they are for you. I love Oppo and already own one of their other DAC products. This will primarily be for office use so portability isn't exactly required although a nice to have. I have a 7 and 5/8 head size so am a little concerned with clamping. Comparison coming this weekend Sept 13/2015. Both units will be here Friday. Will also compare to the Alpha Primes as well but I feel that will be an unfair comparison and those stay at home.

They will be hooked up to a Modi/Magni v2 Uber stack.

Sep 8, 2015 at 5:39 PM Post #199 of 214
  I've had trouble deciding if the Oppo PM-3 is right for me. I'm gonna have to try both the Oppo PM-3 and the Audeze EL-8 to see which suits me. They both have a great return policy so you can try them to see if they are for you. I love Oppo and already own one of their other DAC products. This will primarily be for office use so portability isn't exactly required although a nice to have. I have a 7 and 5/8 head size so am a little concerned with clamping. Comparison coming this weekend Sept 13/2015. Both units will be here Friday. Will also compare to the Alpha Primes as well but I feel that will be an unfair comparison and those stay at home.

You could maybe try out the new Beyer DT1770 as well, it's the same price range. No graphs or reviews up yet though. :)

Sep 8, 2015 at 8:57 PM Post #200 of 214

You could maybe try out the new Beyer DT1770 as well, it's the same price range. No graphs or reviews up yet though. :)

Based on some preliminary info I heard DT1770 clamping force is a bit too much
biggrin.gif
  I guess will find out soon...

Dec 4, 2015 at 3:19 PM Post #201 of 214
Hey Moogs, which one did you end up choosing? Just got my PM-3's, not sure if I should order the EL-8's to compare as well. Seeing very mixed reviews on the Audeze vs. the consistently positive reviews on the PM-3

Dec 4, 2015 at 3:26 PM Post #202 of 214
  Hey Moogs, which one did you end up choosing? Just got my PM-3's, not sure if I should order the EL-8's to compare as well. Seeing very mixed reviews on the Audeze vs. the consistently positive reviews on the PM-3

The EL-8 is a fantastic headphone but for some serious quality control issues. I sadly returned mine and went another way.

Jan 12, 2016 at 5:20 AM Post #203 of 214
I currently have the EL8 and I am thinking of getting the PM3 for portable use, is it possible if you give a brief comparison pf the EL8 vs PM3? That would be much appreciated. 

Jan 15, 2016 at 8:47 AM Post #204 of 214
Hi! This is my first post here. Please bare with because english is not my first language. I am also choosing between those 2. I have a question about their earcups. A quick story, I am living in souteast asia and the humidity here is a bi**h. Both my ATH PRO500MK2 and WS55x are flaking from eacups to headbands. I read that the EL8 has a genuine leather earcups and the PM3 have pleather. Does the earcups on PM3 will flake overtime? Thanks!

Mar 26, 2016 at 3:28 PM Post #205 of 214
+1 Thanks for the information, I am saving for the Yggdrasil dac, to go with my Ragnarok, then I will have a true balanced system. I really like how my Vanquish cable, with XLR adapter, makes my AP'S sound through the Rag.

The discussions on the PM-3 forum have motivated me to build my own balanced cable.

This plug fits my PM-3...

http://www.doublehelixcables.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=193

Looks like you can get one custom built by these guys.

http://www.doublehelixcables.com/store/

Mar 30, 2016 at 11:10 AM Post #206 of 214
In my time with both of these sets I felt like the el-8's were quite a bit better to my ears than the PM-3. Although I found the separation and staging not that good on the el-8, it has very nice detail, bass, and pretty crisp highs. Vocals got lost a little, but not too bad. PM-3 felt very sterile, everything felt a bit distant. Probably because of how neutral they are. If I had to pick one for the same money it'd be a very easy decision. Personally I'd probably go with a used Alpha Dog instead of either.

Mar 31, 2016 at 2:30 PM Post #207 of 214
I tried both at my local dealer for a few hours. For me, mobility was important since they are primarily going between home and the office.

The PM-3 felt much lighter on my head and fit over my ears better than the EL-8. The cable stock was much easier to manage as well.

I love the looks of the EL-8, but the PM-3 fit the bill for mobility, so I bought them.

The sound was fantastic on both. 

Dec 22, 2016 at 7:37 AM Post #210 of 214
Has anyone had an opportunity to do a comparison between the PM-3 and the revised 2016 version of the EL-8C?

I have used the PM-3s for about a year and I have just bought the EL-8 Titaniums a few weeks ago. I am finding that the EL-8Ts sound more lush and have a bit more air and sparkle. At first I didn't think there was much difference but now going back to the PM-3s they feel much more closed and a little less detailed. For the commute to work the PM-3s are much more practical but I am getting on fine with the EL-8Ts on my half hour train / half our walk to work. They clearly weigh more and have more bulk to them but they sit fine on my head and I find them comfortable for over an hour of listening. 

I'm driving them with an Oppo HA-2 hooked up to my iPhone during the commute and at work I have a Schiit Modi 2 / Vali 2 combo at my desk. The EL-8T Cypher cable does a good enough job and is convenient on its own but from the unstructured testing I have done my HA-2 handles small details better, particularly with classical music. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back