Audeze EL-8 vs Oppo PM-3 Impressions
Jun 15, 2015 at 10:04 PM Post #181 of 214
posted this analysis as a response to a PM question on the closed headphones I own. Am planning on writing a formal comparison, but for people wondering in the meantime, here are my personal subjective thoughts. disclaimer, the PM-3 is my personal pick out of all the closed headphones I've owned/extensively demo for my intended application & preferences.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/770989/why-is-the-closed-back-market-so-bad/30#post_11690004

hope someone finds this helpful! :)

Jun 15, 2015 at 10:13 PM Post #182 of 214
Thanks for the response, I agree with what you're saying, my current set up is a ifi nano dac hooked up to my mobile device, The genres of music I mainly listen to are EDM, hip hop & r&b basically top 100 music. My current headphone inventory is the sennheiser hd8dj which i like for edm, a Momentum v2 & the oppo pm 3 I prefer the pm3 over the m2, but im looking into something better for EDM & r&b. Would you have any recommendations?

What do you not like about the pm3? Not enough to bass? Not enough treble? Not enough mid? Detail? Soundstage? Comfort? Looks?

Assuming you want closed cans, try the beyerdynamic dt-770, t51p, or vmoda m100.

Jun 15, 2015 at 10:24 PM Post #183 of 214
Thanks for the response, I agree with what you're saying, my current set up is a ifi nano dac hooked up to my mobile device, The genres of music I mainly listen to are EDM, hip hop & r&b basically top 100 music. My current headphone inventory is the sennheiser hd8dj which i like for edm, a Momentum v2 & the oppo pm 3 I prefer the pm3 over the m2, but im looking into something better for EDM & r&b. Would you have any recommendations?

You also might want to try the Sony mdrz7

Jun 15, 2015 at 10:46 PM Post #184 of 214
What do you not like about the pm3? Not enough to bass? Not enough treble? Not enough mid? Detail? Soundstage? Comfort? Looks? Assuming you want closed cans, try the beyerdynamic dt-770, t51p, or vmoda m100.

I don't think there is anything 'wrong' with the PM-3s, which is why it's my favorite closed portable and favorite closed period.

however, there are some critical considerations of relative differences of specific strengths/flaws of headphones that may make another pair more suitable for what an individual is specifically looking for.

but ya, the PM-3 is one of the easiest universal recommendations in my mind with its high technical performance and well-balanced sound signature (without the need to add sort of disclaimer of for people who like xyz). a lot of other closed options require that sort tagline for matching preferences.

Jun 16, 2015 at 1:11 AM Post #185 of 214
  mmm... it does depend on your budget, but the pricing does not reflect sound quality. for example, I prefer the PM-3 ($399) over the PM-2 ($699) and EL-8 ($699). I prefer the LCD-X ($1699) over the EL-8 ($699) and LCD-3 ($1999)

I would recommend the PM-3 if looking for a closed portable planar magnetic headphone, the LCD-X if looking for an dark open planar magnetic headphone, and HE-560 ($899 or less on sale) if looking for a neutral open planar magnetic headphone. edit: I've found the EL-8 to have an unique coloration, so I would recommend demoing before purchasing.

I would agree with most of this, as I a/b'd the PM-3 and EL-8, and I bought the better sounding PM-3. Everyday I like them more & more.

Jul 2, 2015 at 1:20 PM Post #186 of 214
Hi,

I am looking at both of these headphones and leaning towards the EL-8 to be used with an RWAK240.  But the only thing I'm worried about is sound leakage as I will be using these at the office and don't want my colleagues complaining about my music.  I rock out to my music a little on the loud side, but not brain tingling loud.  I have read conflicting reports about the sound leakage with the EL-8.  Some reviews say they don't leak at all while other reviews say they leak sound a lot.  Is there any consensus as to whether they would be acceptable in an office setting..has anyone here used them in the office and had any complaints about the noise?  Forgot to mention I'm talking about the closed back EL-8

Jul 2, 2015 at 2:00 PM Post #187 of 214
  Hi,

I am looking at both of these headphones and leaning towards the EL-8 to be used with an RWAK240.  But the only thing I'm worried about is sound leakage as I will be using these at the office and don't want my colleagues complaining about my music.  I rock out to my music a little on the loud side, but not brain tingling loud.  I have read conflicting reports about the sound leakage with the EL-8.  Some reviews say they don't leak at all while other reviews say they leak sound a lot.  Is there any consensus as to whether they would be acceptable in an office setting..has anyone here used them in the office and had any complaints about the noise?  Forgot to mention I'm talking about the closed back EL-8

They don't leak what so ever.

Jul 2, 2015 at 5:17 PM Post #188 of 214
  Hi,

should not leak at all at normal to above normal volume levels 8-13/15 on the Galaxy S5. at close to maxed out volume levels 14/15 on a S5, there is some leakage, but I don't think that would be in the range of normal playback volume levels.

cheers!

Jul 2, 2015 at 5:30 PM Post #189 of 214
Thanks for the help.  I just found out about the local San Francisco meet here in a few weeks.  Looks like Oppo and Audeze will both be there. Hopefully I will be able to audition both and make my purchase.  

Jul 2, 2015 at 5:56 PM Post #190 of 214
Which EL-8?  Closeback or Open back?  Obviously the open back would leak.  But if you're trying to use it while working i would recommend to use the PM-3 or PM-2 because the weight of the the EL-8 is fatiguing. 

I do prefer the sound of the oppo-s that i bought both headphones.

Jul 2, 2015 at 8:39 PM Post #192 of 214
If they don't have it at the meet, there's also an Oppo free loaner program so you can trial it at home. And think I read somewhere that their doors are open at Mountain View. Supposedly there's an room at their office where you can audition any of a number of different competing headphones. Lot's of ways to give them a trial!

Jul 3, 2015 at 7:51 AM Post #194 of 214
Oppo PM-1 and PM-2 are open.
Oppo PM-3 is closed.

Jul 20, 2015 at 10:54 AM Post #195 of 214
  Hear from Auseze after my son called them. They are sending an RMA tag and will replace the headphones. Awesome customer service.

Oppo is doing a one week free trial head on Head-fi for the PM series. I am just finishing up with the PM-1's. So major "awesome" to Oppo two.

While I cannot compare the PM-3 to the EL-8, I do prefer the PM-1 to the EL-8, but I prefer the sound from the LCD-3 to the PM-1. The PM-1 is very comfortable, so it's possible the PM-3's are too.

Just wondering how things worked out with Audeze on the replacement? I experienced the same thing after about a week of ownership of my open EL-8s. I returned them to the dealer and still waiting for a reply on what will happen with my case. Doing a little google research I heard of 4 other cases 5 including mine with this exact same problem. Not sure if I still have confidence in the product and Im not sure if I should push for a refund. Hope you could share your experience or if anyone else has inside info on production dates to look out for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back