Audeze EL-8: The EL-8 is a must-hear at CES 2015
Jun 3, 2015 at 9:58 PM Post #5,342 of 6,486

What measurements are you referring to? I can confirm that the bass is outstanding, but the treble is by NO means "bad." I'm a guy who likes bright sound, treble is important to me, and I love these things.

Tyll's measurements of THD show it being really ******* low (Approaching SR-009 low), but it suddenly jumps to 10% around 7khertz, and his measurements don't go any further than that.

Jun 3, 2015 at 10:20 PM Post #5,343 of 6,486
Tyll's measurements of THD show it being really ******* low (Approaching SR-009 low), but it suddenly jumps to 10% around 7khertz, and his measurements don't go any further than that.
I'll assume that they use the materials to influence extra analog harmonic generation to make the overall presence seem flatter than the graph reads at the frequencies where the harmonic distortion is high, out of necessity.

Planars need this sort of trickery to not sound terribly rolled off on the treble, much like dynamics often need this sort of trickery to achieve perceived flat bass extention.

Jun 3, 2015 at 10:22 PM Post #5,344 of 6,486
This question will answer that theory:

What measurements are you referring to? I can confirm that the bass is outstanding, but the treble is by NO means "bad." I'm a guy who likes bright sound, treble is important to me, and I love these things.
Does the treble sound really musical, smooth, sweet, and harmonious ?

Jun 3, 2015 at 10:39 PM Post #5,345 of 6,486
XD
Did you seriously follow me to this thread?
I highly doubt you just happened to stumble upon this thread by coincidence.
Btw, the reason I haven't replied in the other thread, is that I'm trying to figure out why Headroom's distortion graphs are so different from InnerFidelity's.

Jun 3, 2015 at 10:48 PM Post #5,346 of 6,486
XD
Did you seriously follow me to this thread?
I highly doubt you just happened to stumble upon this thread by coincidence.
Btw, the reason I haven't replied in the other thread, is that I'm trying to figure out why Headroom's distortion graphs are so different from InnerFidelity's.
hahahahah dude no.

I think the EL-8 are a beautifully designed headphone and hold out hopes for auditioning them soon. I know Audeze will eventually make a planar electrostatic hybrid with different, lighter ergonomics than the LCD line, and it will be glorious. Hopefully it will be able to sound great without a huge expensive importable amp too, like the K812.

My participation in the thread has nothing to do with you.

Word to God, I actually quoted and replied to your post without even recognizing or realizing your username. I was only responding to the content typed itself.

Jun 3, 2015 at 10:55 PM Post #5,347 of 6,486

hahahahah dude no.

I think the EL-8 are a beautifully designed headphone and hold out hopes for auditioning them soon. I know Audeze will eventually make a planar electrostatic hybrid with different, lighter ergonomics than the LCD line, and it will be glorious. Hopefully it will be able to sound great without a huge expensive importable amp too, like the K812.

My participation in the thread has nothing to do with you.

Word to God, I actually quoted and replied to your post without even recognizing or realizing your username. I was only responding to the content typed itself.

Okay XD  That's happened to me before where someone just followed my posts and stuff.  That, plus I didn't think that you'd be subscribe to a planar thread, because of that one comment you made about planar technology.

Jun 3, 2015 at 11:19 PM Post #5,348 of 6,486
Okay XD  That's happened to me before where someone just followed my posts and stuff.  That, plus I didn't think that you'd be subscribe to a planar thread, because of that one comment you made about planar technology.
Planar technology is old and has big limitations in soundstage and with high frequencies, but the one huge advantage is flat bass response. So paired with an electrostatic, with an appropriately placed crossover, and housing design to accommodate the characteristics of both, and to maximize soundstage of both simultaneously, is a big challenge.

The fist outfit to execute that combination well, on both a consumer level and professional level, will get a very large boost to their brand identity amongst hardcore enthusiasts, which in this smartphone user forum era.....means more than ever.

So it's no mystery as to why this small step in Audeze's history interests me.

Jun 3, 2015 at 11:25 PM Post #5,349 of 6,486

Planar technology is old and has big limitations in soundstage and with high frequencies, but the one huge advantage is flat bass response. So paired with an electrostatic, with an appropriately placed crossover, and housing design to accommodate the characteristics of both, and to maximize soundstage of both simultaneously, is a big challenge.

The fist outfit to execute that combination well, on both a consumer level and professional level, will get a very large boost to their brand identity amongst hardcore enthusiasts, which in this smartphone user forum era.....means more than ever.

So it's no mystery as to why this small step in Audeze's history interests me.

It would be very difficult to create a planar/electrostat hybrid, because you'd have to be a company adept in many different kinds of technology.  You'd need to know a lot about both types, as well as be able to combine the two without taking up waay too much room.  Then you'd have to make a proprietary design amp specifically designed to amp both parts of it.  It would probably be much easier to combine planar and dynamic if that type of design is even possible.  If your idea is even possible, we're a while away from being able to do that, however, it's that kind of imaginative thinking that could make this technology exist.

Jun 3, 2015 at 11:38 PM Post #5,350 of 6,486
  It would be very difficult to create a planar/electrostat hybrid, because you'd have to be a company adept in many different kinds of technology.  You'd need to know a lot about both types, as well as be able to combine the two without taking up waay too much room.  Then you'd have to make a proprietary design amp specifically designed to amp both parts of it.  It would probably be much easier to combine planar and dynamic if that type of design is even possible.  If your idea is even possible, we're a while away from being able to do that, however, it's that kind of imaginative thinking that could make this technology exist.

dharma is doing electrostatic+dynamic hybrid pair of headphones.

Jun 3, 2015 at 11:53 PM Post #5,352 of 6,486
Yes, I used the term big challenge, because it will be. But what's to stop the brains and wills of say Austrians and Germans, to take an impossible combination, and make it not only exist, but perfectly ? The correct answer is nothing.

But AKG successfully created a Dymanic / electrostatic hybrid back in the 1980's.......35 years ahead of the runner up at trying this....Enigma Acoustics.

More and more outfits will continue on that path, as well as the more difficult planar/stat hybrid. The future is bright (-er than planar alone) ! Ha!

Jun 4, 2015 at 6:18 AM Post #5,353 of 6,486
... But AKG successfully created a Dymanic / electrostatic hybrid back in the 1980's.......35 years ahead of the runner up at trying this....Enigma Acoustics.

Successful ??
Really ??

If this AKG product was successful, how long was it sold for, and in what quantity?

And if it was widely accepted and not a technological dead end, then where is this AKG product, or its descendants available for sale now?

Jun 4, 2015 at 8:42 AM Post #5,354 of 6,486
Just got my open version today. Anyone notice something off about either cup? My left one seems to feel a little "enclosed". When I press on the side it puts air pressure on my ear, and the right one doesn't, almost like air is having trouble escaping the left cup... They still sound incredible though, but I may take them to the store and see if i can swap them out.

Jun 4, 2015 at 8:54 AM Post #5,355 of 6,486

Ummm, take em back, that's not supposed to happen

Users who are viewing this thread

Back