Audeze EL-8: The EL-8 is a must-hear at CES 2015
Jun 5, 2015 at 10:36 AM Post #5,371 of 6,486
For what it's worth I cleaned half the carpets in my house last night with a Bissel Carpet cleaner and with Closed EL-8 on my head and NEVER had a connector problem....

valid point. I also have no issues with the connectors so far. however, I think ppl raising concerns are really more worried abt the long term durability of the connectors. Don't want to restart that whole debate, but just smtg for owners who travel a lot with the el-8 to keep an eye out for. ppl who just leave the el8 on a headphone stand shldnt have a problem

Jun 7, 2015 at 8:19 AM Post #5,373 of 6,486
  Anybody played with the new El-8 apple cable and notice any difference in sound quality compared to the standard ones? Also...does it stay in place and not detach as easily too?

Feel free to link this cable. I for one have no idea what you're talking about.

Jun 7, 2015 at 9:16 AM Post #5,374 of 6,486
I think he's talking about this: https://www.audeze.com/12m-single-ended-cable-1

Jun 7, 2015 at 12:40 PM Post #5,376 of 6,486
  Cool! But 60 bucks for a cable is a bit silly. 

For a $700 headphone? For a well made cable I think that's very fair.

Cheers,
K

Jun 7, 2015 at 3:17 PM Post #5,377 of 6,486
Originally Posted by Koolpep /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Cool! But 60 bucks for a cable is a bit silly. 

For a $700 headphone? For a well made cable I think that's very fair. Cheers, K

Audeze charges $80 for replacement earpads... so yeaa. that's the pricing of all their products compared to the rest of the market.

Jun 7, 2015 at 3:21 PM Post #5,378 of 6,486
Audeze charges $80 for replacement earpads... so yeaa. that's the pricing of all their products compared to the rest of the market.

For the cable, well, I think it's fair. The pads are crazy priced indeed. You can get great headphones for that money.....

Jun 8, 2015 at 2:55 AM Post #5,379 of 6,486
if you enter Audeze territory you have to pay the price of their accsessories 
the cable is not just wires form end to end it contens electronics and  a payement licence to use with apple products

Jun 8, 2015 at 5:08 AM Post #5,380 of 6,486
I didn't say that it's a lot compared to their other stuff. I just said I think it's silly. You do get full sized headphones for that price and one could make a cable at home for like, 2 dollars that sound the same. Just my opinion.

Edit: I would value the cable they provide at about $20, tops. A regular flat cable with cable noise and propriatary connectors.

Jun 8, 2015 at 5:55 AM Post #5,381 of 6,486
It's not silly it's business, and everyone that makes proprietary cables and accessories does the same thing. 

Jun 8, 2015 at 8:42 AM Post #5,383 of 6,486
True. Nobody should be an Apple; I'm not supporting this practice, I'm just stating how it is. Would I like to pay $5 for cable instead of $80? Sure, who wouldn't? But this goes a lot deeper than just cables. For instance, why do we pay $2000 for a headphone that costs $150 (max) to make? Why do we all jump on Monster for charging $400 for a $20 headphone and not jump on Sennheiser, who've been doing it for decades? (along with guess what? Proprietary cables and accessories!)

Jun 8, 2015 at 12:22 PM Post #5,384 of 6,486
  True. Nobody should be an Apple; I'm not supporting this practice, I'm just stating how it is. Would I like to pay $5 for cable instead of $80? Sure, who wouldn't? But this goes a lot deeper than just cables. For instance, why do we pay $2000 for a headphone that costs $150 (max) to make? Why do we all jump on Monster for charging $400 for a $20 headphone and not jump on Sennheiser, who've been doing it for decades? (along with guess what? Proprietary cables and accessories!)

starting to get really OT discussion though. perhaps start PMing if wanting to continue to address points. put my response in spoilers to try to keep the noise level lower.

well, also brand name of course & sonic tuning. people get upset at Monster/Beats because of their ridiculous mark-ups on build quality & sound quality that is noticeably poorer than cheaper alternatives with a non-neutral, bassy-heavy (w/ low quality bass boost) orientated sound. Monster was also one of the more mainstream pioneers in making ridiculously expensive cable options available to the uninformed general consumer. they practiced a bit of shady stuff with improperly set-up direct comparisons that were not correctly controlled or volume-matched that basically was a way to fool the consumer.

Jun 8, 2015 at 2:34 PM Post #5,385 of 6,486
PLEASE stop with mentioning Apple or we get another flame war. Headphone producers should adopt a standard they all follow (but they never will).

Also: Cost of parts to make something is not the cost creating something. Otherwise software should always be free, right? Costs nothing to produce a single copy.

Cheers,
K

Users who are viewing this thread

Back