Audeze EL-8: The EL-8 is a must-hear at CES 2015
Apr 9, 2015 at 9:15 PM Post #4,591 of 6,486
I have read about several people who have heard more than one pair of the same model Audeze and say they sound different, whether LCD-X, 3, or EL-8. I've read people saying they went through 2-3 different sounding pairs, some bad sounding. I have no idea if this has any truth, but it does have basis for truth with how thin Planar membranes are, and FR measurements of both Audeze and Hifiman showing similar discrepancies.  So I'm steering clear of Planars for now, I don't think they are built to the standard their price suggests with current production tech.

Apr 9, 2015 at 9:17 PM Post #4,592 of 6,486
  I have read about several people who have heard more than one pair of the same model Audeze and say they sound different, whether LCD-X, 3, or EL-8. I've read people saying they went through 2-3 different sounding pairs, some bad sounding. I have no idea if this has any truth, but it does have basis for truth with how thin Planar membranes are, and FR measurements of both Audeze and Hifiman showing similar discrepancies.  So I'm steering clear of Planars for now, I don't think they are built to the standard their price suggests with current production tech.

This phenomenon applies to virtually all headphones, not just planar magnetics.

Apr 9, 2015 at 9:41 PM Post #4,594 of 6,486
 Looks similar to the Beyer T1 graph..IIRC

Apr 9, 2015 at 9:43 PM Post #4,595 of 6,486
   Looks similar to the Beyer T1 graph..IIRC

Actually the treble is more tame (and goes down deeper), and the distortion is much, much better in the bass. Funny, it costs 1/2 as much, but yet measures noticeably better (including the square wave plots too).

Apr 9, 2015 at 9:59 PM Post #4,596 of 6,486
  Actually the treble is more tame (and goes down deeper), and the distortion is much, much better in the bass. Funny, it costs 1/2 as much, but yet measures noticeably better (including the square wave plots too).

you can easily find the T1 for $600-650 though.

Apr 9, 2015 at 10:01 PM Post #4,597 of 6,486
Right on cue, my Johnny on the spot...Thanks!!  Sounds good...I'll bet that the first guy I was talking to was referring to the general headphones they have available being hardwired...My understanding is that the "high-end" headphone room is relatively new, so that's good to hear.

Thanks to both of you! I will be checking out B&H soon.

Apr 9, 2015 at 10:09 PM Post #4,598 of 6,486

T1 can be had for same price as EL-8 actually (when on special). The EL-8 has a pretty large dip at 7khz, the distortion also seems to rapidly rise in treble, at 7khz its at 1%, but the graph cuts off, I'd bet distortion keeps rising through the treble range. So it's horses for courses, the Planars have higher treble distortion and some funky treble resonance, but lower bass distortion and more bass extension.

Overall, one can conclude that the distortion, impulse, squarewave etc is not so imortant when comparing the headphones, but rather what sounds better to the individual, no doubt there will be people in both camps.

Apr 9, 2015 at 10:11 PM Post #4,599 of 6,486
  you can easily find the T1 for $600-650 though.

That's used. I haven't seen them new at that price. Have you? If they are, then I'd still go with the EL-8s...if they aren't available at that price new, then that's not a fair comparison IMO.

Apr 9, 2015 at 11:08 PM Post #4,601 of 6,486
  That's used. I haven't seen them new at that price. Have you? If they are, then I'd still go with the EL-8s...if they aren't available at that price new, then that's not a fair comparison IMO.

yup, i've seen them new at that price. $650 from j&r. $750 and $800 from buydig. $750ish from sonicsense. $850 from massdrop. $799-$899 from buysonic. the t1 can be found at discount prices quite often if you are patient and tracking multiple sites. Pretty common to see it at $700 to $750. hell, the hd800 was available for $800 once. I really should have sniped that deal.

Apr 10, 2015 at 12:46 AM Post #4,603 of 6,486
Holy Cheezburgers ... Look at that distortion above 3khz ...
blink.gif

Apr 10, 2015 at 1:47 AM Post #4,604 of 6,486
Having owned the EL-8 open-back and now the LCD-X, there is no comparison between the two IMO. The X delivers a massive soundstage, far more detail, great imaging, much more AI riness and vastly superior SQ than the EL-8. Plus, the X scales gorgeously with more power.

The description of the EL-8 as the "baby brother" of the X is greatly exaggerated.

I don't know about that...listening to both right now for my EL-8 review and I stand by the "baby LCD-X" comment. They hold up pretty well with my GS-X Mk2/Metrum Hex main rig and on my Concero HP too. My GS-X is putting 5+W into them if I crank it up (which I won't as I'll go deaf). The LCD-X are one of my favourite headphones ever, but for those on a sub $1k budget, the open EL-8s are a great option.

That's fine. You're entitled to your opinion. As for me, I detect vast differences in sound quality between the two models, irrespective of price points, hence my disagreement with the baby brother glibness.

To be clear, I'm not urging that anyone should buy an LCD-X over an EL-8. Instead, I, like you, have shared personal impressions and opinions.

C'est la vie.

Apr 10, 2015 at 1:57 AM Post #4,605 of 6,486
I agree crixnet, I think the difference is quite substantial also, if you abstract money from the equation, which is what you are doing and he is not. MH is not really responding to your point, as he is factoring in value for money/lesser budgets - when pushed to make statements on absolute SQ relative to the rest of the Audeze line I note most reviewers are shying away from answering directly. I don't really know why all the prevarication, I think it's fine to come straight out and say unequivocally that these are definitively inferior to the 3 and X given the price point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back