Audeze EL-8: The EL-8 is a must-hear at CES 2015
Apr 2, 2015 at 6:16 PM Post #4,246 of 6,486

Yeah, I noticed that, too. I place zero stock in anything Rockwell says.

Just visiting that vampire's site alone makes him money. If you click on any of Ken Rockwell's links, and even if you buy something from that site (say Amazon) in the next 60 days, and it's not even a product listed on his site, he still gets commission. His income is easily in the six to seven figures, simply because he is usually in the first 3-5 results of any camera Google search, and of course, he is expanding his "product reviews" to more niches.

Apr 2, 2015 at 7:45 PM Post #4,248 of 6,486
Mine get lose quite easily (maybe a good thing so nothing is damaged), sometimes just the plug (w/ 1/4 adapter) falling down is enough to get the connector to lose contact.  I had the headphone up high and had the cord suspended to straighten it out a little.
According to Tony at Audeze they are held in place with a magnet. I was concerned with mine because it didn't feel like they made a good solid contact. Although they are comfortable this headphone is heavy. Built like a tank.

Apr 2, 2015 at 7:46 PM Post #4,249 of 6,486

I received my Audeze EL8 open back this morning.  I am happy to report that it has fantastic synergy with my Metrum Octave MKII DAC, and Kenzie Headphone Amp.  I rolled a few tubes in the Kenzie, and I found that the Sylvania NOS 12SL7 dated 1-43 was a superior match with the EL8, I would say it scaled very well with this setup.  Sound is very emotional and involving, great bass response, neutral mids and treble.  I tried the EL8 on a few of my other amps, but when I put this combo together, I have been unable to stop listening.  Sound is very open and detailed with very good soundstage width and depth, black background and precise imaging.  I've previously had the LCD 2F, LCD 3F and LCD X, and I don't recall getting the synergy I am getting with my curfrent setup, although the DAC and Kenzie amp were recent additions.  I am totally satisfied with the EL8 at this time....but I am looking forward to the release of the Dharma soon!

Apr 2, 2015 at 7:48 PM Post #4,250 of 6,486
  I received my Audeze EL8 open back this morning.  I am happy to report that it has fantastic synergy with my Metrum Octave MKII DAC, and Kenzie Headphone Amp.  I rolled a few tubes in the Kenzie, and I found that the Sylvania NOS 12SL7 dated 1-43 was a superior match with the EL8, I would say it scaled very well with this setup.  Sound is very emotional and involving, great bass response, neutral mids and treble.  I tried the EL8 on a few of my other amps, and when I put this combo together, I have been unable to stop listening.  Sound is very open and detailed with very good soundstage width and depth, black background and precise imaging.  I've previously had the LCD 2F, LCD 3F and LCD X, and I don't recall getting the synergy I am getting with my curfrent setup, although the DAC and Kenzie amp were recent additions.  I am totally satisfied with the EL8 at this time....but I am looking forward to the release of the Dharma soon!

Very nice! Now I want the EL-8 even more.

Apr 2, 2015 at 7:51 PM Post #4,251 of 6,486
Oh dear... someone quoted Ken Rockwell. His site is full of nonsense, designed only to generate web traffic and ad revenue, not quality content. Please ignore his site in future.

Either he got the 4.5Ω measurement wrong, or he has no clue about output impedance (or both). 4.5Ω is actually rather HIGH.

Compare it to these other products, for example:

...posting a "graph" without a vetted source - brilliant!

Apr 2, 2015 at 8:23 PM Post #4,253 of 6,486

I received my Audeze EL8 open back this morning.  I am happy to report that it has fantastic synergy with my Metrum Octave MKII DAC, and Kenzie Headphone Amp.  I rolled a few tubes in the Kenzie, and I found that the Sylvania NOS 12SL7 dated 1-43 was a superior match with the EL8, I would say it scaled very well with this setup.  Sound is very emotional and involving, great bass response, neutral mids and treble.  I tried the EL8 on a few of my other amps, but when I put this combo together, I have been unable to stop listening.  Sound is very open and detailed with very good soundstage width and depth, black background and precise imaging.  I've previously had the LCD 2F, LCD 3F and LCD X, and I don't recall getting the synergy I am getting with my curfrent setup, although the DAC and Kenzie amp were recent additions.  I am totally satisfied with the EL8 at this time....but I am looking forward to the release of the Dharma soon!

Thanks for your feedback Cute!

It's reassuring to hear your positive comments 
wink.gif

Apr 2, 2015 at 8:57 PM Post #4,255 of 6,486
According to Tony at Audeze they are held in place with a magnet. I was concerned with mine because it didn't feel like they made a good solid contact. Although they are comfortable this headphone is heavy. Built like a tank.

good to known, thanks for passing on the info

Apr 2, 2015 at 9:01 PM Post #4,256 of 6,486

It's my album of the year so far!

You can buy the FLAC 24/96 here : https://www.burningshed.com/store/stevenwilson/product/144/6495/

Another option would be to buy the Blu-Ray from burning shed, particularly if you have a surround system in addition to headphones.  It includes the 24/96 stereo content pfillion mentions, plus 24/96 in 5.1 and the instrumental only version of the album in 24/96.  Plus some other content including alternate mixes and a "making of" video.

Of course, you have to wait (and pay) for shipping vs. the FLAC download.

I really like the instrumental version.  Either way you decide to go, it's a fantastic album.

Apr 2, 2015 at 9:26 PM Post #4,258 of 6,486
Hey all, if you want to hear something special go check out Hqplayer:

http://www.signalyst.com/consumer.html

Love to know if it helps improve sq on those el8s with desktop rigs.

Apr 2, 2015 at 9:48 PM Post #4,259 of 6,486
First off, I just want to thanksthe head fi community here. I'm a long time lurker who has benefited greatly from this community's knowledge, research, and insight.

After much deliberation, I took the plunge and ordered the EL-8 closed back. I know several on this thread have been dying to know more about the closed back el-8 so this is for all of you. I, like many of you, prefer open backs but live with a significant other who doesn't always enjoy listening to the music!

The El-8 closed back is an impressive headphone. Right from the start, you know you're in for a treat. Even the outer box is covered in a lovely soft touch material- yeah, I know...its a box, but it really just shows the attention to detail that has gone into the el-8, something I'll speak to more when it comes to its sound signature.

Several other members have had mixed reviews when it comes to the el-8's proprietary cable. Some found the connection too loose. In my experience the connector gives a satisfying click when it's in place, and holds itself in well. Not tight. You can pull it out with just a light tug, but this seems to be a design decision to protect the headphone itself. Consider me a fan. I like the look. I like the flat cord, and the length is optimal for both desktop use and travel.

Before we get to sound, let me just comment on the aesthetics and build quality. When you're spending this kind of money on a headphone, you naturally want something built to last 20 years, and make a great visual statement. I think audeze has done both here with the el-8. The hardware is an all metal and wood construction and it just feels outstanding. Nothing creaks, bends, or rattles here. It's solid. Finishing is just top notch, and vastly superior to my former headphone, the Hifiman he-400. It's no comparison here, the el-8 is a piece of jewelry in the headphone world, and sets a new bar for the company (even with its summit-fi lineup).

Okay...the sound. Yes.

The best word I can use to describe the sound signature is accurate. That's a high complement. There's very minimal coloration of the sound, letting the artists' vision ring true. Where my he-400s had a tendency to overdo it in the treble, and suppress the mids, the el-8 just feels balanced across the whole frequency spectrum, and the data seems to back this up.

Bass. So some on this thread have described the el-8 as bass light, or underwhelming in the bass. I disagree. Sure, it's not a bass monster, but the el-8 can hit the low note and really surprise you with bass energy when the song calls for it. The el-8 doesn't add bass where it shouldn't (as many phones often do). Again, it's accurate. And with a fast driver like the planars used in the el-8, the bass hits quick and doesn't linger longer than it should. Maybe this is where some more accustomed to dynamic headphones are feeling the bass is too light on the el-8?

Overall, the el-8s have a really lovely, easy to listen to sound. Highs are clear without being fatiguing, and mids are exactly what you want...true to the music. Both female and male vocalists position perfectly in the soundstage without that "veiled curtain" effect that too often occurs with headphones.

Speaking of soundstage. For a closed back headphone, these are stunners. There's no mistaking that these are closed back...because they do a great job of cutting out background noise and letting you bask in a lovely sea of silence. I honestly don't think I'm making any sacrifices going closed back with the el-8, and the benefits of the clear quiet environment may put this ahead of the open back headphones! (I have yet to hear the open back el-8s so take that for what it's worth...)

I still have a lot of testing to do with different amps and dacs, but I can confidently say that the el-8 pairs shockingly well with the iPhone 6 and the iPad Air. I've been blown away at how loud you can drive them on these devices, and how controlled the sound is. I've been using Tidal's flac steaming, and really enjoying the simplicity of managing fewer devices. I have a schiit stack 2U on the way and I'll provide my thoughts on that pairing later.

Okay, I'll stop now. Back to the music.

My impressions exactly.

Apr 3, 2015 at 12:09 AM Post #4,260 of 6,486
After spending almost a week with the EL-8's, I can briefly describle my initial impressions. Coming from the HD-800, I have two strong observations. First, it's so nice to have planar bass back. After spending so much time with the 800's I almost forgot what visceral bass sounded like. I didn't realize how much I was missing out on. The impact of the bass while maintaining clarity in the mids and highs are unique traits I remember from my brief time owning the LCD-2. Second, the layering on the headphone is good, but nowhere near the 800. This is obvious when comparing any phone to the 800, but worth mentioning.

Overall, I'm loving spending time with this headphone, and am looking forward to all of the "sub par" recordings I skipped out on with the Sennheiser.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back