Audeze EL-8: The EL-8 is a must-hear at CES 2015
Apr 1, 2015 at 4:45 PM Post #4,141 of 6,486
While I find the EL-8 Open sounds quite good unamped overall - it does sound much better with the Modi 2 uber > Magni 2 uber. More bass, bass impact, clarity, and vocals are better (not sure how else to describe the vocals). The difference is easily noticed.

I haven't seen anyone mention this but initially there was this air pressure when it seals onto my ears, similar to closed headphones. That air pressure has reduced quite a bit in these 9 days of using the open EL-8. Not sure if that matters to anyone, but mentioning it incase they're sensitive to the air pressure as well.

Been quite happy with the open EL-8's thus far. Still not used to hearing music sound this good - it's addictive (been using the ATH-AD2000 for awhile, the older model not the newer X).

Apr 1, 2015 at 5:31 PM Post #4,146 of 6,486
Really curious how these connector issues with the el-8 are spreaded (maybe already fixed at production?) with possible loose contacs between the two plugs and the headphone and how tight they hold. Can they be easily popped out with a quick accidental jank on the cable or are they tight and hold well enough?

Apr 1, 2015 at 5:52 PM Post #4,147 of 6,486
  Really curious how these connector issues with the el-8 are spreaded (maybe already fixed at production?) with possible loose contacs between the two plugs and the headphone and how tight they hold. Can they be easily popped out with a quick accidental jank on the cable or are they tight and hold well enough?

Mine get lose quite easily (maybe a good thing so nothing is damaged), sometimes just the plug (w/ 1/4 adapter) falling down is enough to get the connector to lose contact.  I had the headphone up high and had the cord suspended to straighten it out a little.

Apr 1, 2015 at 6:11 PM Post #4,148 of 6,486

Thanks, man. I'm a big guy so the X's weight should be no problem.

I actually read about the mod by lobh. It looks cool. Have you tried it or the child seat wrap?

I have Lohb's suspension strap on my HE-6 and cannot recommend it highly enough. 

Apr 1, 2015 at 6:44 PM Post #4,149 of 6,486

Thanks, man. I'm a big guy so the X's weight should be no problem.

I actually read about the mod by lobh. It looks cool. Have you tried it or the child seat wrap?

I have Lohb's suspension strap on my HE-6 and cannot recommend it highly enough. 

Cool, that's good to know. Thanks for your feedback.

I've contacted lobh and he replied with current photos and info. His strap looks like quality stuff, an elegant solution. I'm definitely placing an order!

Apr 1, 2015 at 7:32 PM Post #4,150 of 6,486

I like it, but it doesn't blow me away, and I really want to try the EL-8.

I think you may be disappointed with the EL8 based on what you have been asking in these threads.  IMO the HD-700 has a much more interesting sound signature than the EL8.  My girlfriend and all of those who have tried my EL8, HD-700, HD=650, LCD-2, RS2e, SRH-1840 on my desktop DACs and AMPs have been really underwhelmed with the EL8 even when they didn't know the price and more so when they found out the price.  The only time they think the EL8 is good is when using a portable source (iphone/Fiio X3/Galaxy S5, Note3, ipad) where its easy to drive nature shines.  Another thing I noticed is that most of the females that tried the EL8 don't like the weight and fit, their hair gets caught in the joint between the pad and metal headband.
Anyway, hope you get to try a EL8 soon and it blows you away, off to the driving range......

Apr 1, 2015 at 8:11 PM Post #4,151 of 6,486

I like it, but it doesn't blow me away, and I really want to try the EL-8.

I think you may be disappointed with the EL8 based on what you have been asking in these threads.  IMO the HD-700 has a much more interesting sound signature than the EL8.  My girlfriend and all of those who have tried my EL8, HD-700, HD=650, LCD-2, RS2e, SRH-1840 on my desktop DACs and AMPs have been really underwhelmed with the EL8 even when they didn't know the price and more so when they found out the price.  The only time they think the EL8 is good is when using a portable source (iphone/Fiio X3/Galaxy S5, Note3, ipad) where its easy to drive nature shines.  Another thing I noticed is that most of the females that tried the EL8 don't like the weight and fit, their hair gets caught in the joint between the pad and metal headband.
Anyway, hope you get to try a EL8 soon and it blows you away, off to the driving range......

Yep. The desktop system experience parallels my own as well. The EL-8 does seem to like portable devices better.

Apr 1, 2015 at 8:17 PM Post #4,152 of 6,486
  Yep. The desktop system experience parallels my own as well. The EL-8 does seem to like portable devices better.

My Schiit Fulla is portable enough.
tongue.gif

(But I probably wouldn't be able to pull off getting an EL-8 soon anyway.)

Apr 1, 2015 at 8:24 PM Post #4,153 of 6,486

My Schiit Fulla is portable enough.
tongue.gif

(But I probably wouldn't be able to pull off getting an EL-8 soon anyway.)

The Fulla would probably work perfectly well with the EL-8. I think Audeze hit the mark with the "portable" EL-8 inasmuch as it works great with portable devices.

Apr 1, 2015 at 8:31 PM Post #4,155 of 6,486

The Fulla would probably work perfectly well with the EL-8. I think Audeze hit the mark with the "portable" EL-8 inasmuch as it works great with portable devices.

Aside from extra output power (which is not used at all at the same SPL level), what is different between the Fulla and, say, a Magni 2?

Not sure. That's a question best addressed to the folks at the Schiit Owners Unite forum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back