Audeze EL-8: The EL-8 is a must-hear at CES 2015
Mar 10, 2015 at 12:25 AM Post #3,032 of 6,486
It'd be great if it really does have such low distortion, whether we can hear the difference or not. However, you have to be very careful about manufacturer specs like this and frequency response, they can be very misleading. For example, the spec doesn't mention at what volume or power input the 0.01% distortion was measured. I mean, technically you could measure any headphone at less than 0.01% distortion if it's turned off :wink:

I'll try to find out.

Meanwhile...

"The EL-8’s patent-pending Uniforce diaphragm employs an industry first - variable trace widths in the voice-coil to effectively capture variations in the magnetic field within the magnetic gaps by equalizing the forces of the individual traces, creating a uniform driving force across the entire diaphragm surface. This results in dramatically reduced distortion, higher resolution and improved imaging." (Emphasis mine.)

:)

Mar 10, 2015 at 12:38 AM Post #3,033 of 6,486
  Does anyone know if the pads are removable yet or do they adhere like the rest of the Audeze line?

...and is there a micro-suede/vegan option ?!

Mar 10, 2015 at 3:07 AM Post #3,034 of 6,486

Same goes for both directions. We really can't hear around 30hz at moderate volumes but we can definitely tell its there even on headphones. I'd imagine the same would be definitely true about higher than our ability to hear in the upper registers. I for one can hear up into the 16khz registers and can't definetly hear if a headphone is rolled off in that register. 

Oh we hear easily at 30hz. It is true that the sensitivity is lower at that FR than say 1khz, but it's not the same as we can't hear say above 20khz, which is a fact. Infrasonic bass can be felt through the body and the bones even if your ear can't hear it, there is no such mechanism for ultra high FR's. So to create a transducer to reproduce inaudible noise is just silly,since  there is no musical instrument that has any range up there.

Mar 10, 2015 at 7:37 AM Post #3,035 of 6,486
Hi all.
I just wanted to ask. Is this EL8 can be driven nicely just with ak240 alone? I love pm1 with ak240. I think 240 have enough juice to drive pm1. Will that be the same case to EL8?

Thanks

Mar 10, 2015 at 10:19 AM Post #3,037 of 6,486
Hi all.
I just wanted to ask. Is this EL8 can be driven nicely just with ak240 alone? I love pm1 with ak240. I think 240 have enough juice to drive pm1. Will that be the same case to EL8?

Thanks

Impedance 30 ohms
Efficiency 102dB / 1mW
Maximum power handling 15W (for 200ms)
Optimal power requirement 200mW – 4W

https://www.audeze.com/products/el-8-collection/el-8-open-back

Mar 10, 2015 at 10:24 AM Post #3,038 of 6,486
Package Includes
•2m (6.56 feet) Audeze headphone cable
•3.5mm to 1/4in stereo adapter
Impedance 30 ohms
Efficiency 102dB / 1mW
Maximum power handling 15W (for 200ms)
Optimal power requirement 200mW – 4W

https://www.audeze.com/products/el-8-collection/el-8-open-back
smily_headphones1.gif

there was some discussion on this thread about the cable length and audeze did seem to imply they may be changing the cable to 1.2m per the numerous requests.

I personally think that they should bundle a 1.2m cable along with the 2m cable, but if they only want to offer one cable, the 2m cable makes more sense as they will be releasing a shorter remote/mic cable for iDevices later on. Don't know if they will release a cable for Android/Windows phones.

Mar 10, 2015 at 10:43 AM Post #3,039 of 6,486
I would be a tad miffed if I purchased a premium can that came with a cable that was only 51 inches in length. But for portable use I can understand the reasoning.
I use a 20 foot balanced cable, so...

Mar 10, 2015 at 10:52 AM Post #3,041 of 6,486
  there was some discussion on this thread about the cable length and audeze did seem to imply they may be changing the cable to 1.2m per the numerous requests.

I personally think that they should bundle a 1.2m cable along with the 2m cable, but if they only want to offer one cable, the 2m cable makes more sense as they will be releasing a shorter remote/mic cable for iDevices later on. Don't know if they will release a cable for Android/Windows phones.

Wasn't it the other way around?  The original cable was described as 1.2M and Audeze responded by changing to a 2M cable - at least that's my recollection of cablegate....

Mar 10, 2015 at 10:54 AM Post #3,042 of 6,486

Wasn't it the other way around?  The original cable was described as 1.2M and Audeze responded by changing to a 2M cable - at least that's my recollection of cablegate....

lol you may be right. i honestly dont rmb.

Mar 10, 2015 at 11:17 AM Post #3,045 of 6,486
In my personal opinion and with my setup it goes like this:

3m < 2m > 1m 
     &
1m > 3m

Too long and it gets ran over by my chair or I have to roll it up so I'm listening to a half rolled up cable at my desk. If it's too short, I pull my amp off of my desk. I personally find my sweet spot to be about 4.5-5.5ft. 

That said, I hope they release adapters for these plugs so we can make our own cables. Can't wait to make some!

Like I say that's my opinion, it's like an ass, everyone's got one but nobody wants to hear from it. :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back