Audeze EL-8: The EL-8 is a must-hear at CES 2015
Feb 16, 2015 at 11:23 AM Post #2,433 of 6,486
 But I don't hear anyone saying that they retain the Audeze house sound with deep extended bass and organic mids (this is what draws me to Audeze). 

X2.  I will probably cancel my pre-order if the Open-Back EL-8 don't have the Audeze house sound with deep extended bass and organic mids.

Shouldn't we be waiting on the first report based on an actual production model before attempting to determine what the EL-8 performance is?

Feb 16, 2015 at 11:54 AM Post #2,435 of 6,486
Mike does, but he really hasn't posted a detailed review yet.  Wasn't aware that others have a production unit.  Any links to commentary?

I'm just suggesting that a lot of "conclusions" around sound signature seem to be being drawn without much evidence.  Like any headphone, they won't be everyone's favorites but to reject them based on reports from pre-production models seems a bit hasty.

Hopefully, we'll all know soon!

Feb 16, 2015 at 1:06 PM Post #2,436 of 6,486
Shouldn't we be waiting on the first report based on an actual production model before attempting to determine what the EL-8 performance is?

I will wait until I read more feedback about the final version but honestly I know already that I will not like them if they don't have the deep extended bass and the organic mids of the LCD-2.

Feb 16, 2015 at 1:10 PM Post #2,437 of 6,486
Any new news on the closed back version yet?

Feb 16, 2015 at 3:28 PM Post #2,438 of 6,486

I will wait until I read more feedback about the final version but honestly I know already that I will not like them if they don't have the deep extended bass and the organic mids of the LCD-2.

OK - firstly - to THIS:

My first sub-column under Sonic Satori:
Impressions Sessions:
Audezes' Transcendent EL-8

At $699 bucks, a first for this Music Addict

should be up soon - it's being copy-edited RIGHT NOW
and I used a few systems - listed all the gear - and then did a couple track-by-track impressions per system...

So lets ALL remember fellas - the EL-8 (I so wish they didn't have the hyphen now, more than ever) - shoulda been "EL8" so people would naturally say "elate"

Also: I've been up for 2 days - finishing that piece, so I'm admittedly loopy - but after using multiple systems and doing track-by-track impressions of the open-back EL-8s, and then switching to my LCD-2 w/ Fazor, LCD-X, and then LCD-XC - I'm glad to say I'm still stickin' to the opinion that, while I'm going to do the comparisons - this was NOT designed to take the place of ANY LCD - it's $699 bucks!

That said -(and as said in my up-coming Impressions Sessions piece): They've most definitely got LCD DNA - like my John Cooperworks Mini has BMW DNA.
But - the've broken-in to the point where now - they exude that organic, textural, velvety mids of the 2s - not to the same degree - which they shouldn't - but lets say a high percentage.

The bass has also completely opened-up.

I'm rockin' Plastikman's EXposed (Dubfire Remix) via Amarra Symphony on my MacBook Pro SSD - and the new ALO International+ w/ the EL-8s and I can't believe the full-bodied-ness of the sway in this club-banger - on this lil' amp!! HOLY S___! This is a first-class amp/DAC fellas, at least through its USB DAC input - DAAAMMMN.

It sounds like a desktop unit!
I know - it sounds crazy - and today that maybe true - but its FUN...

Feb 16, 2015 at 3:33 PM Post #2,439 of 6,486
lol @mikemercer, sry to sound like a youtube video of broken record playin in front of a parakee that is being looped but.....

earpad dimensions???????

Feb 16, 2015 at 3:41 PM Post #2,441 of 6,486
oh, DAMN - earpad dimensions??
the size of the ring (height, width, depth) and size of hole??
size of the hole where your ear goes in. height/width/depth please. thanks!

Feb 16, 2015 at 3:44 PM Post #2,442 of 6,486
  Mike does, but he really hasn't posted a detailed review yet.  Wasn't aware that others have a production unit.  Any links to commentary?

I'm just suggesting that a lot of "conclusions" around sound signature seem to be being drawn without much evidence.  Like any headphone, they won't be everyone's favorites but to reject them based on reports from pre-production models seems a bit hasty.

Hopefully, we'll all know soon!

it's coming!

It's NOT my detailed review - that's coming for Audio360.org - but I just wrote a seriously in-depth impressions piece - which I've drawn some conclusions from.
It's being copy-edited right NOW - will supply link once UP:

Sonic Satori
Impressions Sessions: 
Audezes' Transcendent EL-8 

At $699 bucks, a first for this Music Addict

For: EnjoyTheMusic.com
By: Michael Mercer

I used a few system configurations - and then did track-by-track Impressions...

Headphone comparisons will be in the review - but, I do make some big statements that some of ya'll MAY not like - 
but, all that know me know I don't have a BS-meter when it comes to the sound of my music...

I'm from Brooklyn

Feb 16, 2015 at 3:49 PM Post #2,443 of 6,486
Mike, the most important thing for you to tell us is how they rate in the 700 buck range as compared to other headphones in the same category. Everyone here want to know how they rate against the HD-700, Sony Z7, HE-560, Oppo PM2/3 and the like. Is it really worth the asking price of 700 and how does it hold up to the other headphones in its class.

From your first impressions I may want to wait till the LCD-XC is modified to become lighter with the graphite headband instead of buying the EL-8 closed headphones. Although I may be waiting maybe months or years before the XC becomes lighter. 

Feb 16, 2015 at 3:56 PM Post #2,444 of 6,486
size of the hole where your ear goes in. height/width/depth please. thanks!

got it:

Height (and they are angular, like the larger LCD ear-pads, in order to insure that sound travels more naturally through the ear-canal (I wonder why some headphone manufacturers haven't figured this out yet!) - Master & Dynamic MH40s would be SO much better with thicker, angular pads!

Anyway -

Height at highest point: 1"
Height at lowest point: .5"

Width: bout 2.25"

Depth: (inside hole - across it): bout 3"

my small measuring tape is in my wifeys crafts box - so the measurements were a bitch w/ the bigger one...
Will try to get it when she wakes up...

OH:

I ALSO STOOD-UP FOR AN ALL-BLACK EL-8!!!! in my article - I said Audeze is selling this design short, IMHO, without an all-black version...

Feb 16, 2015 at 4:12 PM Post #2,445 of 6,486
THANK YOUU!!!!!! :)

That is great news to me. Those are some nice big cushy earpads. Really appreciate the info mike!

edit: YESSSS!!!! champion of the ppl, fight for that sexy all black design!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back