Audeze EL-8: The EL-8 is a must-hear at CES 2015
Feb 14, 2015 at 5:38 PM Post #2,386 of 6,486
Yes, we're all hanging around waiting for Mike Mercer's next hyper excited post.
smily_headphones1.gif

yes... and this is how we like him 
dt880smile.png

Feb 14, 2015 at 6:15 PM Post #2,387 of 6,486
Back to topic.

How is it possible for a closed-back to sound thinner and brighter than the equivalent open-back? Assuming the same driver and housing except for the back cover.

I ask, since impressions seem to indicate closed back EL-8 is bright and thin :) So, I'm wondering technically how is that possible lol

Feb 14, 2015 at 6:22 PM Post #2,388 of 6,486
[Comment deleted by Mod]
Statement From Mod: as others have mentioned, keep this on topic.

Back to topic.

How is it possible for a closed-back to sound thinner and brighter than the equivalent open-back? Assuming the same driver and housing except for the back cover.

I ask, since impressions seem to indicate closed back EL-8 is bright and thin :) So, I'm wondering technically how is that possible lol

Easy. Extensions on the top end and enhancement. Rolled off or dark headphones with a mid bass hump usually give a thicker sound. Bright headphones are almost always on the leaner side.

Feb 14, 2015 at 6:56 PM Post #2,389 of 6,486
I hope the closed back El-8s are not thin/bright. I don't especially like dark/warm cans, but the opposite end does not do well to my treble sensitive ears

Feb 15, 2015 at 6:46 AM Post #2,390 of 6,486
Finishing (and will be doing more HERE ASAP) my up-coming Sonic Satori column at EnjoyTheMusic:

Sonic Satori
Impressions Sessions
Audezes' Transcendent EL-8

At $699 bucks, a first for this music-addict

Hope you guys dig it.
I had SO many people in the HiFi press say stupid s__ to me like: why are you posting all your EL-8 impressions on Head-Fi" and crap like that.

I'm like - that's our community. 
d___  A_____s..

last system configuration for these last EL-8 impressions I'm writing now - gotta finish TONIGHT:

Feb 15, 2015 at 7:27 AM Post #2,391 of 6,486
Nice pic Mike!! I have been working the ifi into my rig as well. What a great device...very analogue. Can't wait for the full review to hit.

Thanks for the everything brother. 
wink.gif

Feb 15, 2015 at 8:26 AM Post #2,392 of 6,486
  Nice pic Mike!! I have been working the ifi into my rig as well. What a great device...very analogue. Can't wait for the full review to hit.

Thanks for the everything brother. 
wink.gif

ThanX brother.

and I'll keep posting Impressions here too - just gotta pay the months bills first!

I gotta say this - 

The EL-8 & Woo WA7 Fireflies has been one of my favorite combinations for desktop,
and the Glove Audio A1 for portable (AK240 too).

It took a little over a week for these to really open-up though. I could only know that NOW.
I was impressed with their over-all musicality, especially for 699 bucks - which is why I'm gonna do it - but I don't think anybody should think of comparing these to the LCD-series - they were not designed nor intended for that at their price.

And its at that price where, thus far - next to my HD650, Alpha Dogs (have Prime now-thats close too) and Perfect Sound d901s - it really shines.

But, I think these guys should do headphone burn-in (I know I know, call me a wacko it's all good) at the factory - because these are still changing, though not as dramatically as the first week. Borrowing a bunch of HiFiMANs from a friend soon and others I used to own but don't anymore for some requested comparisons.
Can't do em all fellaz.

But i'm ON IT.
This combo KILLED:

admittedly, I'm a LIL harsh about NOT offering all-black!
What, you need wood to be Audeze? I call BS...

Feb 15, 2015 at 10:06 AM Post #2,393 of 6,486
  I don't think anybody should think of comparing these to the LCD-series - they were not designed nor intended for that at their price.

And its at that price where, thus far - next to my HD650, Alpha Dogs (have Prime now-thats close too) and Perfect Sound d901s - it really shines.

Thanks for your comments Mike.

I have to admit that I'm a bit disappointed that the EL-8 doesn't seem to compete technically with the LCD-2F.

I was not expecting the EL-8 to be a LCD-X and LCD-3 killer but I thought that they would sound at least 95% as good as the LCD-2F.

Feb 15, 2015 at 10:22 AM Post #2,394 of 6,486

I don't think anybody should think of comparing these to the LCD-series - they were not designed nor intended for that at their price.

I have to admit that I'm a bit disappointed that the EL-8 doesn't seem to compete technically with the LCD-2F.

I was not expecting the EL-8 to be a LCD-X and LCD-3 killer but I thought that they would sound at least 95% as good as the LCD-2F.

You can get a used LCD-2F, in very good condition for the cost of the EL-8!

Feb 15, 2015 at 10:32 AM Post #2,396 of 6,486

I know and I really like the sound of the LCD-2F but I sold them because of the weight.

I just want to have a pair of comfortable headphones with the sound quality of the LCD-2F.

The HE-560 was almost the perfect headphones for my tastes but at some point I started to have tinnitus problems. 
frown.gif

Feb 15, 2015 at 10:49 AM Post #2,397 of 6,486

To be 95% performance of a product that cost 43% more is a failed business strategy that I think Audeze clearly avoided. I personally like the new "look" of the EL-8 and the weight savings and would probably give them a try. I'm not fond of the veneer pattern though. Wish it was a better rose wood grain or perhaps black or silver brushed aluminum. It could be easily fixed with a strip of vinyl though.

Feb 15, 2015 at 10:53 AM Post #2,398 of 6,486

I know and I really like the sound of the LCD-2F but I sold them because of the weight.

I just want to have a pair of comfortable headphones with the sound quality of the LCD-2F.

The HE-560 was almost the perfect headphones for my tastes but at some point I started to have tinnitus problems. 
frown.gif

You can get a suspension strap for the LCD-2F from @lohb, that distributes the weight....only about 60 grams more than the EL-8.  I wear my LCD-2F as long as 8 hours a day.....Mike Mercer's pick for headphone of 2014!  I have aftermarket mini xlr cables, and the new proprietary connectors would negate the EL-8 from my list of headphones to audition!  I'll bet Mike Mercer would like to try his pile of Audeze mini xlr cables with the EL-8..... that would be on my mind anyway!

Feb 15, 2015 at 11:52 AM Post #2,399 of 6,486
What about that HE-560 comparison that was promised a few pages back 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back