Audeze EL-8: The EL-8 is a must-hear at CES 2015
Jan 29, 2015 at 6:40 AM Post #1,967 of 6,486
Where is Mike with the production model?

I'm jonzing like an audible junkie!!!!

Alex wrote me tonight - and thought I had them already  - so I imagine they'll arrive SOON!

But - I am constantly checking the front porch...
biggrin.gif

Jan 29, 2015 at 6:58 AM Post #1,968 of 6,486
I'm jonzing like an audible junkie!!!!

Alex wrote me tonight - and thought I had them already  - so I imagine they'll arrive SOON!

But - I am constantly checking the front porch...
:D

Hope your wife gets better really soon and I can totally relate as I was recently ill with sore throat and coughing etc, I honestly thought I was going to die so there's no rush for your review and I think everyone here totally understands that your wife's wellbeing is your major concern firstly :)

Jan 29, 2015 at 8:05 AM Post #1,969 of 6,486
  true portability depends on a variety of factors including weight, comfort, easy to drive, size, noise isolation... etc.

audeze does have the closed el-8 described as portable headphones. how truly portable they are does seem a bit questionable with their weight, but audeze is marketing them as portable headphones.

Weight is not an important factor for me, but if the phones can't fit into my coat pocket, they're not portable. YMMV.
By that definition, the EL-8 is certainly not portable. I can't think of any situation where I could use the EL-8 and not the LCD-X/C.
None of that matters to me anyway as I'm interested purely in the SQ.

Jan 29, 2015 at 9:23 AM Post #1,970 of 6,486
Hope your wife gets better really soon and I can totally relate as I was recently ill with sore throat and coughing etc, I honestly thought I was going to die so there's no rush for your review and I think everyone here totally understands that your wife's wellbeing is your major concern firstly
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm not sure if I would compare a cold/flu with autoimmune disorder though... But +1 on the get-better-wishes! 

Jan 29, 2015 at 10:39 AM Post #1,971 of 6,486
This. We can wait!

Quote:
Hope your wife gets better really soon and I can totally relate as I was recently ill with sore throat and coughing etc, I honestly thought I was going to die so there's no rush for your review and I think everyone here totally understands that your wife's wellbeing is your major concern firstly
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 29, 2015 at 10:43 AM Post #1,972 of 6,486
Yeah, but...30 ohms, closed back, cups rotate flat, and a 1.2m cable spells out the intentions pretty clearly IMO. Maybe transportable at least.

Quote:
  We won't know if its portable until Audeze gives their final design to a reviewer.

Jan 29, 2015 at 11:02 AM Post #1,973 of 6,486
Okay my question here is if you're walking at a time or in a place where you could seriously be mugged, why would you consider wearing headphones in the first place?? Might as well just carry a sign that says: "Hey I'm completely oblivious to my surroundings, please steal my stuff!"

I could see the closed EL-8s being good commuter headphones for those who use public transit to get to work. Walking with them though? That'd be pretty heavy on longer walks. That said, I'm not the target customer, the only headphones I bring if I'm leaving the house are my RE-600s, IEMs work perfectly for portable so I've never considered a full-size headphone for on-the-go situations.

Jan 29, 2015 at 1:56 PM Post #1,975 of 6,486
A million times, this. Just use common sense. Walking around in your small town, maybe between the public library and the corner store? Why not. Wearing them around Hollywood at night? Don't be stupid.

Don't wear ANYTHING obviously expensive in a neighborhood that doesn't seem nice that you don't know!

For the less experienced/unfamiliar with urban areas, here are some key things to watch for in areas you should NOT be wearing expensive headphones in plain sight (ie if you see this, at least stuff them in your bag/case):

-Bars on windows (this is the big one)
-Houses with really bad paint jobs
-Lots of chain link fence
-Lots of faded signs
-Boarded up windows
-Multiple empty buildings
-Car parts on lawns (lol)

Major areas to avoid wearing expensive headphones:

-Anywhere in NYC
-Anywhere in LA south of the 10 / east of La Brea (spose you'd be OK in a few places like Culver City, Manhattan Beach, Palos Verdes, etc)
-South side of Chicago - to err on the side of caution, let's say west of Lawndale/Observatory and south of Little Italy
-Generally speaking, anywhere outside of major commercial areas or middle-class or wealthier neighborhoods in major cities

Be smart and safe!

Quote:
  Okay my question here is if you're walking at a time or in a place where you could seriously be mugged, why would you consider wearing headphones in the first place?? Might as well just carry a sign that says: "Hey I'm completely oblivious to my surroundings, please steal my stuff!"

I could see the closed EL-8s being good commuter headphones for those who use public transit to get to work. Walking with them though? That'd be pretty heavy on longer walks. That said, I'm not the target customer, the only headphones I bring if I'm leaving the house are my RE-600s, IEMs work perfectly for portable so I've never considered a full-size headphone for on-the-go situations.

Jan 29, 2015 at 3:25 PM Post #1,977 of 6,486
Good to hear.

So stoked to hear as closer ear's take...hearing them at CES was good and all but your ears are mine for now!

Thanks bro
I greatly appreciate that - and SORRY to be off-topic

But just KNOW that we've got Alexandra into a medical routine that seems to be keeping her somewhat mobile again!!

And she wants to hear the EL-8 BADLY too!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back