Audeze EL-8: The EL-8 is a must-hear at CES 2015
Jan 18, 2015 at 6:31 PM Post #1,711 of 6,486
All I can say is, I'm rooting for the final tuning being a just *slightly* more fun version of the traditional LCD sound sig. That appears to be the MO among these demi-flagship cans - T90 is a more affordable, more colored version of the T1 with lower impedance; HD700 is a less expensive, more fun version of the HD800 with lower impedance; HE560 is a lower cost, warmer, easier-to-drive variant of the HE-6 sound (BTW I doubt it's a coincidence that the EL8 MSRP is below that of the HE560; capitalism at its finest!)...

...anyone else see this pattern or am I going schizo :p

In a sentence, I think more people, other than just the ultra-critical, detail-obsessed listeners, are started to get interested in real high fidelity, and the manufacturers are taking notice.

And I couldn't be happier, because I'M ONE OF THEM! ^_____^

I'm unsure whether it's the case that people upgrade from the HD700 to the HD800 to get a lesser fun experience as your comment infers tbh?

Shouldn't it be reverse?

Jan 18, 2015 at 6:31 PM Post #1,712 of 6,486
I totally disagree! I think people should trust their own ears. If someone wants to listen out of their iPhone, and has tried abunch of stuff and decides they like the sound of EL8s out of their iPhone the best, why shouldn't they go on listening to what makes them happy?

But to do that would break all the rules by showing an indication of contentment and that would be so anti-Head-Fi. We would lose our members en masse
biggrin.gif

Jan 18, 2015 at 6:42 PM Post #1,713 of 6,486
I'm unsure whether it's the case that people upgrade from the HD700 to the HD800 to get a lesser fun experience as your comment infers tbh?

Shouldn't it be reverse?

I think he means that the HD800 is more analytical than the HD700, which is a bit more colored and fun sounding.

Jan 18, 2015 at 6:42 PM Post #1,714 of 6,486
By the way, I think Audeze is really going to start killing this segment with the EL-8, not just because I love the sound but MOSTLY because everything is going portable/transportable these days, and the EL-8s are the most designed like a true portable can; the cups swivel, and are low-profile and just the right size; isolation is very respectable on the closed model; the headband stays discreet by using that interesting inner-hammock design; and they have the lowest impedance of the demi-flagship tier (30 ohms).

I really can't wait to get my hands on these *-*

Jan 18, 2015 at 6:46 PM Post #1,715 of 6,486
^^ Except I think that they did not get the weight down to a reasonable weight to be considered portable. They are heavier than most hp's that are considered home use only...in fairness. 

Jan 18, 2015 at 6:47 PM Post #1,716 of 6,486
  By the way, I think Audeze is really going to start killing this segment with the EL-8, not just because I love the sound but MOSTLY because everything is going portable/transportable these days, and the EL-8s are the most designed like a true portable can; the cups swivel, and are low-profile and just the right size; isolation is very respectable on the closed model; the headband stays discreet by using that interesting inner-hammock design; and they have the lowest impedance of the demi-flagship tier (30 ohms).

I'm mostly concerned about how it compares to other closed pseudo-summit-fi cans, like the TH600, especially now that you can pick up the TH600 for ~$450 used.  It's gonna face some stiff competition for sure.

Jan 18, 2015 at 6:50 PM Post #1,717 of 6,486
I think he means that the HD800 is more analytical than the HD700, which is a bit more colored and fun sounding.

I guess I understand that.

I think Audeze should be totally applauded for making hp's that are super portable :)

Jan 18, 2015 at 6:50 PM Post #1,718 of 6,486
  ^^ Except I think that they did not get the weight down to a reasonable weight to be considered portable. They are heavier than most hp's that are considered home use only...in fairness. 

The B34t5 Pr05 are heavier than most home cans and some people use them on the go.  I really don't care about how heavy a portable can is, more about how well it's built.  I would gladly sacrifice 1 more pound or so for them to be able to take some abuse.

Jan 18, 2015 at 6:53 PM Post #1,719 of 6,486
[snip]
I think Audeze should be totally applauded for making hp's that are super portable
smily_headphones1.gif

ehh...
I wouldn't say super portable, they're still pretty big in comparison to other portable cans, especially on ears.
They look more like cans that are equally good for home and portable use.

Jan 18, 2015 at 6:57 PM Post #1,721 of 6,486

It's very possible.  
smile.gif
  To the best of my knowledge, there are no final-tuning versions of the EL-8 (whether open or closed) anywhere in the world right now.  And the pair that Tyll heard could easily have been a singular unit that is farther away from the expected final tuning than most.

Whatever the case may be,  I think it would be a good thing of we all take a little chill pill to gain some perspective.  Or, alternatively, we can just keep going on as we have been, as this thread is tremendously fun (for me) to read.  It - in spirit if not in form - reminds me of...

@warrenpchi - dude i hate you..... I CANT STOP WATCHING THIS(on my 23rd replay). too funny xD. Also where does this cow live, i need dance lessons like that.

P.S. - I don't really hate you...glad to meet you and your sense of humor. :p

what exactly is a demi-flagship?....im not really that educated but google didn't have the answer (shocking i know). 

Jan 18, 2015 at 6:59 PM Post #1,722 of 6,486
Well, really I don't think either one is an "upgrade" to the other, unless you have the wrong one for you :p because they're made for different listening styles. The HD700 is wide, exciting, has a little more bass and warmth, and is generally more for "fun" listening, while the HD800 is ultra-analytical and all about the details.

Don't get me wrong; the HD700 is still a VERY technically proficient headphone, with a large soundstage and amazing imaging, but I doubt it was designed with pure transparency in mind; it's more of an immediately impressive sound that is good for listening to complex, well-produced electronic music and rock (think Liquid Tension Experiment, Amon Tobin, Mars Volta, Explosions in the Sky), IMO, whereas the HD800 excels moreso with larger ensembles, orchestras, and complex jazz due to it's superior separation and more natural timber.

Quote:

Shouldn't it be reverse?

Contentment? How cute :p Notice how even the more budget-conscious Head-Fiers are always finding a new giant-killer to rave about!

But to do that would break all the rules by showing an indication of contentment and that would be so anti-Head-Fi. We would lose our members en masse
biggrin.gif

Exactly.

Jan 18, 2015 at 7:00 PM Post #1,723 of 6,486
It's not anything, officially; just what I'm calling these new $500-$900 cans that seem to be more "fun" versions of the flagships.

Quote:

what exactly is a demi-flagship?....im not really that educated but google didn't have the answer (shocking i know). 

Jan 18, 2015 at 7:01 PM Post #1,724 of 6,486

@warrenpchi - dude i hate you..... I CANT STOP WATCHING THIS(on my 23rd replay). too funny xD. Also where does this cow live, i need dance lessons like that.

P.S. - I don't really hate you...glad to meet you and your sense of humor. :p

Think of it like a runner up in a race. The 2nd place in terms of top of the line within a single manufacturer. HD700 to HD800. TH600 to TH900. But then, others go and group flagships of some companies as "demi-flagship" or "pseudo-flagship" just because they aren't up to par with a HD800 or LCD-3F. >_>. Audiophiles are not known for consistency :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back