Audeze EL-8: The EL-8 is a must-hear at CES 2015
Jan 16, 2015 at 4:48 PM Post #1,622 of 6,486
  I'm staying neutral on this one until it's released and I can hear it for myself... but I can attest to noisy environments being absolutely dreadful for trying out gear.  Had my AudioGD amp delivered to my store so the my employess/co-workers could listen, as they've been curious about this hobby (in the 'you're crazy as hell' kinda way).  I will say, bass was completely lost and tI had to crank the volume about 4 times  louder than I would normally listen at...

I trust Stillhart to keep the thread grounded.  That said, we've got a long way to go before last word reaches us...
popcorn.gif

Knowing now that the ones I heard aren't a final revision, I'm relatively checked out on this thread.  My first impressions were of some weaknesses that detracted from the package as a whole.  If they can remedy those weaknesses, it could potentially transform these.  I'm just as curious as everyone else how the final units will turn out.

popcorn.gif

Jan 16, 2015 at 4:50 PM Post #1,623 of 6,486
Tyll's impressions was just posted:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/ces-2015-audeze-introduces-new-el-8-open-and-sealed-planar-magnetic-headphones

Sound Quality
Unfortunately, the EL-8 cans were still in pre-production form and final voicings are yet to be done. I heard both cans as being a bit bass-light, and slightly strident, with the sealed version being rougher sounding than the open model. Surprisingly, however, the sealed version, despite its sonic flaws, sounded much more like an open headphone than a sealed one. That said, I've got quite a bit of confidence that when Audeze releases the final version of these cans we'll hear something quite different.

Styling
Audeze worked with BMWDesignWorks USA on the design of these cans, and boy does it show...these look lovely! Not only are they much lighter in weight than the other Audeze headphone, they're also just miles sexier in appearance. The proprietary magnetic cable connections to the headphones are also very nice—I hope Audeze will consider offering these connectors to select after market cable makers.

EDIT: Does sounding much more like an open headphone mean that it has no isolation?
rolleyes.gif

Knowing now that the ones I heard aren't a final revision, I'm relatively checked out on this thread.  My first impressions were of some weaknesses that detracted from the package as a whole.  If they can remedy those weaknesses, it could potentially transform these. I'm just as curious as everyone else how the final units will turn out.

Usually, headphones are in R&D for years before being released, no? I sort of doubt they can make any groundbreaking changes to the sound signature, given they are aiming for Q1 launch and have already begun preorders. But we can always believe they will :D I am certainly hopeful.

Jan 16, 2015 at 5:02 PM Post #1,624 of 6,486
  Tyll's impressions was just posted:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/ces-2015-audeze-introduces-new-el-8-open-and-sealed-planar-magnetic-headphones

EDIT: Does sounding much more like an open headphone mean that it has no isolation?
rolleyes.gif

Usually, headphones are in R&D for years before being released, no? I sort of doubt they can make any groundbreaking changes to the sound signature, given they are aiming for Q1 launch and have already begun preorders. But we can always believe they will :D I am certainly hopeful.

Well, both Tyll and I heard the same weaknesses.  As he's a lot closer to these guys than I am and he seems pretty confident that they're going to work out the kinks, I feel comfortable trusting him.

"I've got quite a bit of confidence that when Audeze releases the final version of these cans we'll hear something quite different." -Tyll

That said, if it doesn't change enough to make a difference, I won't be particularly surprised either.  lol

Jan 16, 2015 at 5:03 PM Post #1,625 of 6,486
Very interesting read,  most definitely a departure in style from most everything else Audeze. If I saw someone wearing EL-8's  and hadn't already seen photos of them I'd not think they were Audeze.  All the other Audeze models  till now seemed to be instantly recognizable as Audeze. 

Jan 16, 2015 at 5:16 PM Post #1,626 of 6,486

Well, both Tyll and I heard the same weaknesses.  As he's a lot closer to these guys than I am and he seems pretty confident that they're going to work out the kinks, I feel comfortable trusting him.

"I've got quite a bit of confidence that when Audeze releases the final version of these cans we'll hear something quite different." -Tyll

Back to the drawing board? "Quite different" would mean major changes. 

Jan 16, 2015 at 5:41 PM Post #1,628 of 6,486

Back to the drawing board? "Quite different" would mean major changes. 

I agree. At most they can change a few of the materials or add vents or different dampening. I highly doubt they can redesign the driver and the housing, as all of that is finalized.

I don't claim to know anything about how to design and build a headphone.  But Tyll seems to know quite a bit about it.  If he thinks it can be done, I'm sure it can be done.  Whether it *will* be done is the question IMO.  We can be sure that Audeze is motivated to get it sounding as good as possible...

Jan 16, 2015 at 8:27 PM Post #1,632 of 6,486
Gilly87:
Yeah the EL-8s are definitely tuned to be more "fun" IMO; LCD series is definitely more neutral. More bass quantity on the EL-8s for sure.

Tyll:
Unfortunately, the EL-8 cans were still in pre-production form and final voicings are yet to be done. I heard both cans as being a bit bass-light...

Fascinating how divergent opinions are thus far. That everyone isn't even in the same ballpark regarding bass quality/quantity is telling.

Also, welcome datstrayan!

Jan 16, 2015 at 8:38 PM Post #1,633 of 6,486
deleted

Jan 16, 2015 at 8:47 PM Post #1,634 of 6,486
Datstrayan...first welcome to head-fi man!! First words of advice...take a big ole' breath brother...now, take another one.
biggrin.gif
  Seriously though, that was quite a wall of text!! Throw a paragraph or something in there, anywhere please sir.

I enjoy your enthusiasm and wish you the best on your journey to enjoy hi quality music. If we can help you out don't hesitate to ask.

Matt

Jan 16, 2015 at 9:12 PM Post #1,635 of 6,486
I wonder what source Tyll was using...
ph34r.gif

I'm getting the feeling that the different units probably weren't uniformly produced, which I can understand; one of my demo units was pretty ghetto too 
tongue.gif
 Pre-production FTW!

Quote:
Gilly87:
Tyll:
Fascinating how divergent opinions are thus far. That everyone isn't even in the same ballpark regarding bass quality/quantity is telling.

Also, welcome datstrayan! In the future, you may want to use paragraphs to break up your stream of consciousness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back