Audeze EL-8: The EL-8 is a must-hear at CES 2015
Jan 11, 2015 at 11:08 PM Post #1,352 of 6,486
  Jude praises everything...

...Jude is positive about all headphones...

These comments assume that the headphones I discuss in the videos or forums represent every headphone I come across. As anyone who's visited my office can confirm, more headphones and other audio gear come through here than I could ever cover in the videos, or post about on the forums--far more. Different things motivate different people; but what motivates me to step in front of the camera (and/or to hammer out text) more than anything is sharing my feelings about (and experiences with) products I think sound good, products that excite me.

Like I've said before, at any given time--and even more so in the weeks before we update the gift guide--it looks like the 4th floor of Yodobashi Akiba blew up in here, and most of it is gear I'll probably never utter a word about (on posts or video).

Quote:
  Altho I do remember Jude saying he didn't like the Shure 1540/1840 so there's always that.  Or it mighta been the 940.

Actually, it was the Shure SRH940 and SRH1440 that I didn't much care for--both are too bright to my ears. I didn't review either (see the two paragraphs above), but did mention this in a video we shot about the Shure SRH1540 (which I do like very much).

Yeah, I don't think the impressions of Jude or Tyll's are relevant to the ranking of the el-8 we will see after they get released among headphones in a similar price bracket. Nothing concrete is gonna come out of this but at least you know more or less what to expect so I'm thankful of everyone's impressions. Without them I would be clueless as to what to expect and generally people are more prone to impulsively buy the new thing from a brand with a strong track record...

@DreamKing, I'm certainly more inclined to agree with what you're saying. Mine is still just one opinion, and I've never claimed otherwise. Tyll's is also just one opinion. Mike Mercer's is just one opinion. Digital Trends' is just one opinion. John Darko's (digitalaudioreview.net) is just one opinion. Etc., etc. They're early opinions of pre-production headphones.

There's only one set of ears and opinions I trust 100% of the time--mine. I haven't heard the AKG K3003 yet, but I've read enough opinions (rather wildly varying opinions) about the K3003 to have some expectations; but I'll only know my truth when I've heard it.

I feel I've seen an increasing tendency to try to find the truth too fast, too easy. Whether it's reading different early impressions, and then conclusion-waffling with each; or expecting (and often counting on) measurements to give firm answers on how a headphone sounds. (I've commented on some of the different headphone measurement systems and methods we've seen in use around here (CLICK HERE to read my post about several headphone measurement rigs), and will be expressing more opinions and thoughts about that down the road.)

The answers don't come that easy. Read. Wait. Or dive right in and buy. It's up to you how you go about it. But stop expecting the answers to become crystal clear--much less the unassailable truth--with each early post.

As for the EL-8, here's what I think so far (and will post as much in my CES recap and thoughts in the next day or so): The only open EL-8 I've heard is the one I have here. It is pre-production--which is why I'm very hesitant to say too much about it--but it sounds quite ready (to my ears) to call done. At CES, I heard two different closed EL-8's at Audeze's exhibit. Those closed ones did not sound done to me. They were bass-lighter and not as refined through the upper mids and treble as the open EL-8 prototype I currently have here. The closed EL-8's I heard at CES reminded me of one of the prototype LCD-XC's I heard early on (which I felt sounded similarly unfinished), and which I felt came around very nicely as it approached its production form (enough so for me to buy one). I expect and hope the closed EL-8 will come around similarly before production.

It's early. Stop trying so hard to figure it out so fast. I've read several impressions of the headphones so far (here and elsewhere), and almost as many opinions. Give it time. Let it breathe. It'll sort itself out. But stop looking for cheap, fast answers, as you're not likely to find them.

Jan 11, 2015 at 11:27 PM Post #1,353 of 6,486
Good advice and well said Jude, I think there is a lot of anticipation for this headphone but I think everyone needs to temper their expectations too. It takes a time for a headphone to establish it's place in the head-fi world, so let's just wait and see where this one ends up.

Jan 11, 2015 at 11:31 PM Post #1,356 of 6,486
no, seeing as these are supposed to be portable headphones,  they are actually supposed to be the easiest to drive Audeze's to date, though how easy exactly still remains to be determined.

Jan 11, 2015 at 11:33 PM Post #1,357 of 6,486
  no, seeing as these are supposed to be portable headphones,  they are actually supposed to be the easiest to drive Audeze's to date, though how easy exactly still remains to be determined.

The specs have already been published. I did a brief run-down of the power requirements here. They should be driven well by virtually anything.

Jan 11, 2015 at 11:37 PM Post #1,358 of 6,486
  Comments from Tyl in another forum :

"Now, did anyone else hear the Enigma Acoustics Darma headphone? No? We'll, holy **** you missed out. A real stunner.  Hybrid dynamic w/estat tweeter.  Crossover at 8kHz. Expected price at $1.5k, I think. This and the HE-1000 were the best things I heard at the show."

Off topic- The Enigmacoustics Dharma has my interest, big time.  Part Time Audiophile also really liked it, and said retail will be $1,200 and possible release in March.  I've now refocused my attention squarely on the Dharma.  The only kicker.... will it be necessary to use the Enigmacoustics Athena amp to drive it (being a hybrid electrostat)?

The HE-1000 sounds interesting as well, but appears to be priced in the stratosphere.

Did anyone here on the forums listen to the Dharma, and if so, can you please provide impressions?

Jan 11, 2015 at 11:55 PM Post #1,360 of 6,486

Off topic- The Enigmacoustics Dharma has my interest, big time.  Part Time Audiophile also really liked it, and said retail will be $1,200 and possible release in March.  Forget this EL-8, I've now refocused my attention squarely on the Dharma.  The only kicker.... will it be necessary to use the Enigmacoustics Athena amp to drive it (being a hybrid electrostat)?

The HE-1000 sounds interesting as well, but appears to be priced in the stratosphere.

Did anyone here on the forums listen to the Dharma, and if so, can you please provide impressions?

+1...Usually Tyll and I have the exact opposite taste (only exception is the Beyer 1350), but that aside, the Dharma looks very interesting. 

Such an amazing time to be into head-fi...lots of new shiny toys coming out like the EL-8. 

Jan 12, 2015 at 12:04 AM Post #1,361 of 6,486
I've been reading a lot of comments like this.  I think it's important to note that "bass-light" isn't the same as "not enough bass" and "strident treble" isn't the same as "too bright".  

Personally, I find the LCD-2 to be somewhat "bass-light" compared to my HE-4.  And "strident treble" isn't necessarily a bad thing if you prefer a brighter sound.  But it's up to each of us to take Tyll's one sentence of objective observations and decide whether we think that's good or bad for our uses.

No truer words. I took my HE-4 (with pad mod) to an Audeze dealer, as they wanted to compare planar technologies vs price points. Having never heard of Hifiman, there as no expectation bias. The guys said they sounded on the quality between the LCD-2 and the LCD-X, with a more similar sound to the LCD-X, but not nearly as good as the LCD-3, as it had too much distortion and leaned a bit too much on the top end in comparison. Now I found none of the Audeze's had nearly as tight, deep, punchy bass as my HE-4, but rather, more boomy and lush bass, all leading to a more musical sound.

The only time I've experienced better bass (to my ears) was from an HE-6 driven by a SPL Auditor run from a high end vinyl setup. What that tells me is to trust my ears, and be careful about reading to into impressions. There's too many factors that get in the way. Btw, bass isn't everything... The HE-4's bass hits so deep and so hard, that it gives me a headache, even at reasonable volumes. I ended up modding the to be more similar to the LCD-X sound.

On a side note, I took the same configuration to a Grado and B&W hifi shop. The salesman liked the bass on the HE-4, but sad the treble was too hot, and he preferred his B&W P5s. The owner said the over all sound was too bright and he preferred his Grado PS1000s... Go figure, not bright at all, right?. But as soon as I turned around, I caught him grinning and dancing as he jammed out!

I have my ideas where I hope the EL-8s sound, but I think I'll wait and see where it lands. I've found I enjoy a lot of headphones and equipment that many people knock. No sense in closing doors to a headphone that hasn't even been release yet...

Jan 12, 2015 at 12:13 AM Post #1,362 of 6,486
Originally Posted by jude /img/forum/go_quote.gif

...Jude is positive about all headphones...

These comments assume that the headphones I discuss in the videos or forums represent every headphone I come across. As anyone who's visited my office can confirm, more headphones and other audio gear come through here than I could ever cover in the videos, or post about on the forums--far more. Different things motivate different people; but what motivates me to step in front of the camera (and/or to hammer out text) more than anything is sharing my feelings about (and experiences with) products I think sound good, products that excite me.

Like I've said before, at any given time--and even more so in the weeks before we update the gift guide--it looks like the 4th floor of Yodobashi Akiba blew up in here, and most of it is gear I'll probably never utter a word about (on posts or video).

Actually, it was the Shure SRH940 and SRH1440 that I didn't much care for--both are too bright to my ears. I didn't review either (see the two paragraphs above), but did mention this in a video we shot about the Shure SRH1540 (which I do like very much).

Sorry, I guess my statement was a bit inaccurate. What I meant was that Jude only mentions headphones he likes & he has a positive outlook, so his impressions are generally positive. He usually chooses to focus on the strengths of the headphones when he is reviewing, which is totally fine. A lot of flaws that people have with certain headphones are personal preference oriented, so it makes sense that he doesn't dive into those types of discussions as it would simply rating headphones based on his own personal sound signature preferences, which may not be applicable to everyone here. As such a well-known figure in the community, I am sure he does not want to present his own subjective preferences as fact. He also refrains from talking about headphones he dislikes like Tyll. 

Of course, my comments are not meant to be offensive at all. I applaud what he does for the community & agree with his sentiment that there is no easy universal answer for headphones. Always fun to read a variety of impressions & share in our hobby :)

I like to find reviewers with similar tastes & similar views on headphones, and those reviews are the ones I trust the most. I think reviews with comparisons to gear I own is helpful due to the shared reference point. Reviews with positive & negative points highlighted indicates to me that the reviewer is spent the time to get to know the headphones intimately as all headphones have both strengths & flaws if you look hard enough. Information about both the strengths & weaknesses really give me a clearer picture on whether a certain pair of headphones will suit me personally as we are all looking for different things in this hobby.

Jan 12, 2015 at 2:10 AM Post #1,364 of 6,486
Yeah, he thought the TH900 was "too bright." I almost chocked on my food when I read it.

Well, I think Tyll's ears have no hearing damage/deterioration.

Jan 12, 2015 at 2:40 AM Post #1,365 of 6,486
  Anyone just a bit puzzled as to why Jude would praise the EL-8, comparing it to the LCD-X, and Tyll has it sounding like crap?

Tyll says it honestly, without caring about hurting headphone manufacturers' feelings. He cares about us, consumers. Besides his and my tastes are very similar. If he doesn't like EL-8, I most likely won't. Bass-light and strident are the worst words for a headphone for me. So I'll pass...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back