Audeze EL-8: The EL-8 is a must-hear at CES 2015
Jan 11, 2015 at 1:25 AM Post #1,246 of 6,486
To my ears at least, yes. However, I'm not sure if I would say the HE-400i is better than the EL-8 is all fronts, but I definitely think that the HE-400i is at least not worse than the EL-8 in any way.
sweet Thanks for your honest impressions, I really like the HE-400i, when I demonstrated it, and would be surprised if it were outclassed by the EL-8. I need to demo a pair before I can make an honest comparison. :)

Jan 11, 2015 at 1:29 AM Post #1,247 of 6,486
I had the LCD2 (not the F version) for couple of years and was my go to phone during that time, so I am pretty familiar with that sound signature. The EL-8 is better with a tighter bass. I feel I am closer to the music. slightly brighter but yet musical. I have the feeling that I can look into the music without a veil.

Jan 11, 2015 at 1:31 AM Post #1,248 of 6,486
It only shows how much audeze's influence in the community. Which is a positive sign for the company.

Mostly due to the price I think. Ever since the HD800 came out there is a huge price gap between $500 to the $1300+ headphones. In my honest opinion no headphone is worth cost of a 4K LED TV. I hope with these and the new Oppo PM3 flag ship headphone price will drop.

Buttt... I know it is not going to happen. The market is accustomed to paying $1500 to $5000 for headphones/gear. Hell some people spend $500 on cables!

Jan 11, 2015 at 1:32 AM Post #1,249 of 6,486
I had the LCD2 (not the F version) for couple of years and was my go to phone during that time, so I am pretty familiar with that sound signature. The EL-8 is better with a tighter bass. I feel I am closer to the music. slightly brighter but yet musical. I have the feeling that I can look into the music without a veil.

Great impressions man, I appreciate it.

Jan 11, 2015 at 1:34 AM Post #1,250 of 6,486
If you could compare the bass vs a mad dog pro that would be most helpful. I think the rest of its signature is understood. So far impressions of the bass have been somewhat grey. Do they have less bass than the pro?

I totally forgot to get back at ya on this!!

Got them lined-up  and going through tracks for this A/B for you - and I love the Mad Dog Pro!
Could be my new fave MrSpeakers headphones!

Just during set-up for this test - I can say the bass on the EL-8 had far better detail retrieval while selecting tracks like Hecq's "Bette Noire" off Avenger
or Daft Punks "Get Lucky" - but the Pros may go a bit deeper...
You made this VERY interesting - THX!!!

Results ASAP!!

Thank you very much! I think the pro has good bass quantity. It's pretty close to what id settle for. I think the pro has more than the 400i if I had to guess. :popcorn:
That would be a good marker interms of assessing quantity.

Jan 11, 2015 at 1:35 AM Post #1,251 of 6,486

But LCD2 Fazor has huge improvements over the non Fazor one. Need to see how well EL-8 compares to the Fazor LCD2.

Jan 11, 2015 at 1:41 AM Post #1,252 of 6,486
  So...we have to buy the lcd-x or we can save money for the el-8?

right now...

I would still pick the LCD-X in a New York minute for studio work,
IF that's a consideration, or any kind of creation/console/producing kinda-work.

For recreational use ONLY??

If I could afford both, (which I'm sellin' some old Hi-fi to get the EL-8s) because - and again I'm on very little sleep - listening and chatting w/ friends that were there is keeping me up - but I'll fall soon enough:

If I could afford both I would do so - because, personally, I've been eagerly awaiting a more portable set a cans that were closer to my LCD-series!!
I dig my MrSpeakers Prime and Mad Dog Pro very much, but they're still too big for me to walk outta the house with em on (and this is ALL about TASTE - which, in the end, is true of all of this). The EL-8s have been a pleasure to wear around town - sonically and fit-wise.

But the LCD-X is like having the larger Maggies, especially when driven by something like my ALO Studio Six.
The EL-8s are the smaller Maggies - transparency, clarity, and wonderful dynamic contrasts, but they're just like the little brother (or, like I said, a smaller pair of Maggies).

So if you're lookin' for the edge of the personal audio arts at home - I still say LCD-X.
If you need the same as above, but you need it on-the-go too - you gotta go EL-8.

And thus far they've been doing a better job with isolation than I remember at the booth - though that comes down to fit, as I was using the closed-back EL-8s and the SubPac while FreQ nasty was spinning at the Audeze party - and I was lost in my world w/ no leakage there! 

Think Alexandra is right here - she's like "get 8 hours of sleep before more detailed impressions"

But she loves the EL-8s! - especially the closed-backs. And Alexandra has GREAT ears - they used to call her the "Queen of A&R" at RCA - 
She signed Cherry Poppin' Daddies, then Wheatus at Sony (who offer their albums in DSD for those interested) and was always in the studio with the bands,
as she was a musical theater chick - and she does NOT like most of my headphones (cept LCD-3s and X) - but she says she's buying a pair!

Just wanted to drop that in there - as woman hear further into the higher frequencies than men
biggrin.gif

But LCD2 Fazor has huge improvements over the non Fazor one. Need to see how well EL-8 compares to the Fazor LCD2.

THIS is my next test - as I LOVE my LCD-2 w/ Fazor! I'm with ya - gotta check that comparison.

Jan 11, 2015 at 1:44 AM Post #1,254 of 6,486

I think my LCD-2f is much more technically proficient, but it's more laid back.  The EL-8 with its hot treble is more lively sounding, but overall I feel that the sound isn't as coherent as the LCD-2f.  

Some folks might prefer the sound sig of the EL-8 even though it's not technically as good as the LCD-2f.  In a similar way, I prefer the sound of the LCD-X to the LCD-3, even though I can clearly tell that the LCD-3 is objectively better.  Of course, the LCD-X is still one of the best headphones you can buy.  The EL-8 isn't on the same level as the LCD-2 IMO so you're sacrificing a lot for the sound sig. 

EDIT - And I agree with Mercer on this:  the LCD-X is far better than the EL-8 and it's no competition between the two.  If you can afford the LCD-X and don't need the portability of the EL-8, it's a no-brainer. 

Mercer, can you please confirm that the EL-8 is actually harder to drive than the LCD-X?  When swapping between the two, I felt that I need to crank the volume a little on the EL-8.

Jan 11, 2015 at 1:55 AM Post #1,255 of 6,486
  Mostly due to the price I think. Ever since the HD800 came out there is a huge price gap between $500 to the $1300+ headphones. In my honest opinion no headphone is worth cost of a 4K LED TV. I hope with these and the new Oppo PM3 flag ship headphone price will drop.

Buttt... I know it is not going to happen. The market is accustomed to paying $1500 to $5000 for headphones/gear. Hell some people spend $500 on cables!

Some people spend two to four times the price of their headphones on their cables :p

Jan 11, 2015 at 2:03 AM Post #1,256 of 6,486
I know there's not much competition at $699 (or at least I can't think of any at that exact price) but I had the HE-560 in my mind as my official introduction to the planar sound for my desktop. I guess I should go for them if I just plan to use them at home and the EL-8's sound competes with headphones like the 400i in terms of sound.

$699 is really an odd price when people are comparing headphones that are $200 or more below the EL-8 directly to it, like the 400i, Mad Dog Pro's, etc. it's really confusing because to me that just translates to them not being priced right...Reminds me of when the HD700 were announced. Then there's the TH600 that was around $700 at launch too or something. Divisive cans that are now well below their initial price. Well, February-March will be an interesting time.

Jan 11, 2015 at 2:07 AM Post #1,257 of 6,486
  I think my LCD-2f is much more technically proficient, but it's more laid back.  The EL-8 with its hot treble is more lively sounding, but overall I feel that the sound isn't as coherent as the LCD-2f.  

Some folks might prefer the sound sig of the EL-8 even though it's not technically as good as the LCD-2f.  In a similar way, I prefer the sound of the LCD-X to the LCD-3, even though I can clearly tell that the LCD-3 is objectively better.  Of course, the LCD-X is still one of the best headphones you can buy.  The EL-8 isn't on the same level as the LCD-2 IMO so you're sacrificing a lot for the sound sig. 

EDIT - And I agree with Mercer on this:  the LCD-X is far better than the EL-8 and it's no competition between the two.  If you can afford the LCD-X and don't need the portability of the EL-8, it's a no-brainer. 

Mercer, can you please confirm that the EL-8 is actually harder to drive than the LCD-X?  When swapping between the two, I felt that I need to crank the volume a little on the EL-8.

YES.

I found the same thing - and dropped Alex a message - the impedance is 10ohms more
I realized (lil' sleep will do that) that I neglected to mention the EL-8 is also single-sided remember:

which is why I stated earlier that comparing it to the LCD series is tricky, but I think it's necessary in a way (for Audeze devotees) - but also provides us reviewers with a nice challenge - in terms of judging it against other cans in the price range - instead of just the LCD-series

I gotta get the updated specs - they posted em here but then they said there was an error right??
I'll write em...

Jan 11, 2015 at 2:33 AM Post #1,259 of 6,486
I have fully digested the thread so far (and its a meal that's surprisingly hard to keep up with) and I like what I've read about the new Audeze EL-8 so far. Purchasing it or its successor seems inevitable. However it seems clear that a large part of the allure is simply having an Audeze in a new smaller, more comfy form factor. When compared to the LCD series it's seemingly a fine balance of ultimate sound vs a measure of portability.

I was excited about the idea of owning a high end Audeze or Planer Magnetic headphone for some time now. At first blush (like most I'd imagine) I thought this EL-8 might have it all. Sound quality that rivals the upper end of the LCD series, improved comfort, better pricing, smaller form factor, and better aesthetics. I took the LCD-3 off the Amazon Wish List and put the EL-8 in its place.

Well I just put the LCD-3 (or possibly the LCD-X instead) back on the wish list in addition to the EL-8. From reading here I'm pretty sure that at home I'd still rather have the LCD-3 / LCD-X on my head and when I'm on the go I'd rather have the EL-8. My future walet hates me.

As to which I'm going to buy first I think the EL-8 wins. The vast majority of the forum posts here has been focusing on sound quality alone (and wood trim - guilty as charged!!). Is the EL-8 better than other $700 headphones, do they better the LCD-2F, can they even replace or touch the LCD-XF, how about the LCD-3F, and is the wood trim more classic on the LCD series? But I think the real excitement lies in the sound quality within the context of the more comfy and portable package. Plus I'd rather buy the EL-8 first and see if a LCD series redesign happens by the time I get that LCD money saved up. Not to mention the EL-8 is only $700.

Jan 11, 2015 at 3:09 AM Post #1,260 of 6,486
thanks to all folks...so I have to raise the money for the lcd-x. Can the headphone section of the oppo 105d drive them good?thanks

Get the HA-1!! :wink: Seriously, it would be best to ask in the respective threads as this is for the EL-8.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back