Audeze EL-8: The EL-8 is a must-hear at CES 2015
Jan 7, 2015 at 7:02 AM Post #706 of 6,486

Thank you for the explanation. I notice in your signature you own the XCs and the LCD-2s -  are you keeping both because they serve two different purposes for you?  If the EL-8s live up to their promise of being a lighter, cheaper XC, how would they fit in with your line-up - would they supplant the LCD-2s?

Jeb. 

Jan 7, 2015 at 7:14 AM Post #707 of 6,486

Evil. Do you kick puppies after you bamboozle peoples expectations about high-end headphones, Dr. Doom?

Hey, a new headphone that stirs so much emotion only comes out once in a while, so I had to take a chance and troll a bit. 
L3000.gif

Jan 7, 2015 at 7:18 AM Post #709 of 6,486
Thank you for the explanation. I notice in your signature you own the XCs and the LCD-2s -  are you keeping both because they serve two different purposes for you?  If the EL-8s live up to their promise of being a lighter, cheaper XC, how would they fit in with your line-up - would they supplant the LCD-2s?

Jeb. 

The LCD-2 I use when I want to lose myself in the music. The XC I use when I want to hear more detail (I still lose myself in the music), plus it's so efficient that I can listen to it anywhere in the house with my portable gear. Had the LCD-2 with the Pan Am for a while, but always wanted a closed Audeze. Enter the XC which happened to sound much more detailed and faster in my opinion, but brighter. I just couldn't sell the LCD-2 as planned. Please don't tell my wife, LOL :)

I'd probably get the EL-8 for the bedroom or office if the reviews are good and keep the other headphones as well. I'm turning in to an Audeze addict. :blink:

Jan 7, 2015 at 7:27 AM Post #710 of 6,486
  i've always been curious about the hd700, and i've had, and loved the ps500, so this was comparision was very helpful , thanks !

You're very welcome. The 500's will always have a place in my flippant little audiophile  heart.
Id highly recommend the 700's with the price they are now. Let's say you can only listen to 50% (it will be more) of your music because of the hot treble. That 50% alone will make you fall in love.
I also use them with my ps4 and an o2 amp and they REALLY are something else.

Jan 7, 2015 at 7:39 AM Post #712 of 6,486
Am I the only one that thinks the wood on these new Audeze's is ugly as sin? Most probably to cut build costs obviously.
Don't get me wrong I'd quite happily slap cheeseburgers on my ears if they sounded as good what people are saying so far.

Jan 7, 2015 at 7:59 AM Post #713 of 6,486
  Am I the only one that thinks the wood on these new Audeze's is ugly as sin? Most probably to cut build costs obviously.
Don't get me wrong I'd quite happily slap cheeseburgers on my ears if they sounded as good what people are saying so far.

No, a lot of people have expressed this, particularly the light grain.

I find the light grain ugly, but the dark grain looks fantastic to me.

Funny how such a subtle difference can send my appreciation from one extreme to the other.

I don't think it is to "cut costs" though. Cutting costs would mean no veneer at all.

The headphones are aluminium, and the reason for that will be SQ based and is likely part of why they are reported to have similarities with the alumnium X range.

The veneer is an aesthetic flourish that will have added, not cut, costs.

Jan 7, 2015 at 8:13 AM Post #715 of 6,486

They would have been cheaper without the horrible veneer... I find this quite depressing.

I doubt we are talking about a huge difference in cost for two small strips of veneer, but in principle, yes. 

I'm interested to know, do you find the dark veneer unpleasant too? 

While I agree that the lighter wood is a mis-match and detriment to the aesthetic, I feel the exact opposite about the dark wood. I think it actually looks great:

Jan 7, 2015 at 8:22 AM Post #717 of 6,486

Hey, a new headphone that stirs so much emotion only comes out once in a while, so I had to take a chance and troll a bit. 
L3000.gif

Yeah, it'll be at least a week to 10 days till we see this kinda hype again...

Jan 7, 2015 at 8:40 AM Post #720 of 6,486
  Maybe they will :

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sennheiser-Reference-Class-Wired-Headphones/dp/B001OTZ8DA

Hmm. That's interesting. I was trying to pull these up for someone around Christmas and found almost no stores were still stocking them. I assumed they had sold out stock for the holiday season.

Kind of extreme to discontinue if a new flagship is out though, so I would guess this listing is wrong.

Either that or they are replacing the HD800 with an improved version as well as releasing the rumoured 'stat flagship?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back