Audeze EL-8: The EL-8 is a must-hear at CES 2015
Jan 6, 2015 at 1:37 PM Post #466 of 6,486

Awesome. I think we are going to see a lot of LCD-X and XC on the for sale section.

Pfft.  You'll have to pry mine off my cold dead ears.

Agreed, the X and the XC are the best, most engaging headphones I have ever heard for my signature preference and I have listened to pretty much all the TOTL headphones - directly, side by side. They really stand out in a TOTL HP lineup, try it.

Am I missing something - is there a reason for all this X/XC bashing other than the stupid price?

Jan 6, 2015 at 1:40 PM Post #467 of 6,486
  Agreed, the X and the XC are the best, most engaging headphones I have ever heard for my signature preference and I have listened to pretty much all the TOTL headphones - directly, side by side. They really stand out in a TOTL HP lineup, try it.

Am I missing something - is there a reason for all this X/XC bashing other than the stupid price?

It's based on Jude commenting that they are almost as resolving as, and have a similar sound signature to, the LCD-X. 

He also said they were more open-sounding.

I find it hard to believe that they will have as big a sound and as good transients as a larger double sided planar driver though, but I guess we'll have to see. 

Jan 6, 2015 at 1:48 PM Post #469 of 6,486
High weight actually works better for portable because you're moving around more and most likely won't be having them on your head as often as you would at home.

That being said I use my 460g DR-Z7 all day every day and I've never gotten neck pain from it. You can condition yourself to it, especially if the weight distribution is done correctly...

How does high weight work better for portable in any application?? I'm confused. Not only do I have to bear more weight on my head and neck, I also have to deal with lugging them around outside.

Jan 6, 2015 at 1:52 PM Post #470 of 6,486

How does high weight work better for portable in any application?? I'm confused. Not only do I have to bear more weight on my head and neck, I also have to deal with lugging them around outside.

I agree it's not weight, it's how secure they are on your head.

If you trying going out and about in AKG style elasticated headband phones, or Audio Technica's "wing system" - those things fly off your head at the slightest little brush against them.

But weight does come into it in some aspects. Lighter headphones are secure with higher clamping force, while a slightly weightier headphone can stay secure with a lighter clamp. 

Jan 6, 2015 at 1:52 PM Post #471 of 6,486
This is the ONLY style of the EL-8 I'd consider buying.

Might I suggest this handy-dandy mod?

Seriously tho, black is easy to mod after the fact.  Wood less so.  I'd rather have the harder one included then I can make it black later if I decide I don't have any class (kidding!).

Jan 6, 2015 at 1:59 PM Post #472 of 6,486

I agree it's not weight, it's how secure they are on your head.

If you trying going out and about in AKG style elasticated headband phones, or Audio Technica's "wing system" - those things fly off your head at the slightest little brush against them.

But weight does come into it in some aspects. Lighter headphones are secure with higher clamping force, while a slightly weightier headphone can stay secure with a lighter clamp. 

Ah that's what was meant. Yeah I can agree with that, but I think that any headphone in the 300-400g weight class is going to be secure enough on the head. A headphone that's >400g doesn't seem all that portable. I would say that they're more transportable than portable.

Jan 6, 2015 at 1:59 PM Post #473 of 6,486
Some of y'all need to either man up or just forgo these 'phones as a "portable" option. Bunch of babies around here.

Just my .02

Jan 6, 2015 at 2:08 PM Post #474 of 6,486
by the way whats up with AUDEZE support. I emailed them regarding an issue with my LCD-XC. I haven't gotten any emails back. I even call them directly which went directly to voicemail. I was certainly thinking about getting the new headphone but not with this kind of service.

VERY VERY DISAPPOINTED.

Jan 6, 2015 at 2:17 PM Post #476 of 6,486
by the way whats up with AUDEZE support. I emailed them regarding an issue with my LCD-XC. I haven't gotten any emails back. I even call them directly which went directly to voicemail. I was certainly thinking about getting the new headphone but not with this kind of service.

VERY VERY DISAPPOINTED.

They're at CES?

Jan 6, 2015 at 2:22 PM Post #478 of 6,486
I may be in the minority but I think this is not a very pretty headphone in the posted pictures and it looks even worse on Jude's head in the video (who generally had a good head for headphones). I had to chuckle a bit as Jude was going on and on about the styling. Fortunately, I don't really care for the looks of a headphone, it's all about sound quality and comfort. I really like the Audeze sound and I am thrilled about the prospect of a comfortable version of their phones. I hope it will be available soon, and that we don't have to overpay too much over here in Switzerland.

Jan 6, 2015 at 2:39 PM Post #479 of 6,486
  I may be in the minority but I think this is not a very pretty headphone in the posted pictures and it looks even worse on Jude's head in the video (who generally had a good head for headphones). I had to chuckle a bit as Jude was going on and on about the styling.

I completely agree.  I'm definitely one of the crazy people who prefer the look and style of the LCD series over these.  These seem like they're trying too hard to look like Sennheisers.  Both flavors of veneer look incredibly tacky on top of it.

Jan 6, 2015 at 2:46 PM Post #480 of 6,486

It's all relative isn't it? 

Audeze are a high end company, so a $700 Audeze model is welcome. 

Every headphone suits different applications and isn't for everyone.

For me, I spend an hour every morning and an hour every evening sat on a bus going to and from work. That's one of the key times I get to sit with myself and enjoy music these days, and listen pretty much exclusively through speakers when at home, so quality portable products are always on my radar. It doesn't matter how big they are, I'm ultimately going to be sitting in a seat with them, so long as they isolate and sound good they tick my boxes.

Before these showed up I was about to pull the trigger on some JH Audio Roxanne universals to offer some listening options alongside my IE800. 

These are cheaper than they would have been and offer a genuine different option in form and function to another set of IEMs, so if the closed ones turn out to the good for me, I've saved some money going for them.

Can you really hear the subtleties of a $700 headphone on a bus though?  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back