Audeze EL-8: The EL-8 is a must-hear at CES 2015
Jan 6, 2015 at 3:36 PM Post #496 of 6,486

So it's a bit of a tangent for this thread but I'd like to very quickly explore this:

If you had a set of customs, and a set of universals and they were:

1) Identical in sound quality
2) Identical in comfort
3) Identical in isolation

Why would you not go for the universals?

I would choose universals, but I'm not sure how a universal could ever be as comfortable as a custom. For some reason the pressure from universal tips just kills my ears. Customs feel almost like nothing is there at all.

Jan 6, 2015 at 3:45 PM Post #498 of 6,486

I would choose universals, but I'm not sure how a universal could ever be as comfortable as a custom. For some reason the pressure from universal tips just kills my ears. Customs feel almost like nothing is there at all.

Yeah there are still problems to solve. However...

Universal IEMs, up until a year or two ago, topped out at mid-fi. Everyone thought of them as mid-fi, they were made to top out a certain quality and hence they did not develop as a category of headphones like some others did.

There just hasn't been the R&D there we have seen on flag ships in the full sized headphone category, or custom IEMs.

Now that the market is starting to turn on to universal IEMs, I think we will see a lot more research and hence innovation there in the next few years. I think those gaps will be bridged over the next decade.

I have a few ideas myself as to how the comfort/isolation gap between customs and universals could be bridged, but don't want to share in case I win the lottery and actually get to try and develop them!

Anyway, back on topic.

Jan 6, 2015 at 3:47 PM Post #499 of 6,486

Jan 6, 2015 at 3:47 PM Post #500 of 6,486
Most great designs have been somewhat divisive - it's a love / hate thing.  But there seems to be more of a so-so "meh" reaction to the EL8 so far.  Having said that, I do agree with one of the posts above about seeing it in the flesh first - sometimes seemingly simple and uncluttered designs can only really be appreciated this way.  In other applications i've found this to be particularly true when wood veneer is used. 

Based on the tiny sound impression we have so far from Jude.... if the EL8 comes close to matching the LCD-X at half the price, well then thats rather spectacular. 

Jan 6, 2015 at 3:52 PM Post #502 of 6,486
There has to be an equation somewhere about how many posts a thread can last on the internet before it descends into negativity. 

Anyway, just to remind people focusing on the light grain veneer... this is what the headphones you will likely actually own if you buy an EL8 will look like:

Stunning...

Jan 6, 2015 at 3:54 PM Post #503 of 6,486
Interesting thread.

To correct an earlier post about the weight of T1's, they weigh 350g. You have to add the entirety of the cable and the plug to get to 550g. In my normal listening position, only the first two feet of the cable are weighing on the cans.

I am another who is blessed with big ears. Even with the T1, I find it requires a bit of faffing about to get them to the one position where they are not pressing on either the top or bottom of my ears. Once set I can wear them for a long time but it is a pain every time I take them off and then have to find that position again.

For this reason, the EL-8 is interesting. Yes it would look dorky on the bus but at home it might be just what I need. However, that wood veneer (or any wood veneer) simply has to go. It would stick out like a sore thumb here. I would like to see some other options for that band. Leather is a good suggestion. Metallic silver would be good. A range of colours would be ace. I would buy a set immediately in metallic turquoise :cool:

If Audeze are trying to appeal to a younger and more style conscious audience here, it would appear they have missed a trick. They got the basic shape right but wood veneer is so pipe and slippers. A range of "skins" to personalise the headphone is where its at.

Jan 6, 2015 at 3:54 PM Post #504 of 6,486
For me
1-st Sound quality
2-nd Comfort
3-rd Look

But when you paying for look, it must have a look!

Jan 6, 2015 at 3:58 PM Post #505 of 6,486
Jan 6, 2015 at 4:00 PM Post #507 of 6,486
  The website is back up with the product information.

http://www.audeze.com/products/el-8-collection

Bamboo LCD-2 is now down to $916. Rosewood is up to $1066.

Jan 6, 2015 at 4:01 PM Post #508 of 6,486
Jan 6, 2015 at 4:05 PM Post #510 of 6,486
Closed-back specs:

Specifications

StyleClosed-back circumaural
Transducer typePlanar magnetic
Magnetic structureFluxor magnets
Magnet typeNeodymium
Driver Size100 mm
Maximum power handling15W (for 200ms)
Maximum SPL>130dB 
Frequency response10Hz – 50kHz
Total harmonic distortionLess than 0.01% (1KHz, 1mw)
Impedance30 ohms
Efficiency100dB / 1mW
Optimal power requirement200mW – 4W
Weight480g

Open back:

Specifications

StyleOpen circumaural 
Transducer typePlanar magnetic
Magnetic structureFluxor magnets
Magnet typeNeodymium
Driver Size100 mm
Maximum power handling15W (for 200ms)
Maximum SPL>130dB
Frequency response10Hz – 50kHz
Total harmonic distortionLess than 0.01% (1kHz, 1mW)
Impedance30 ohms
Efficiency102dB / 1mW
Optimal power requirement200mW – 4W
Weight460g

Users who are viewing this thread

Back