Audeze EL-8: The EL-8 is a must-hear at CES 2015
Jan 6, 2015 at 4:34 PM Post #528 of 6,486

Bamboo LCD-2 is now down to $916. Rosewood is up to $1066.

Rosewood was $1150 last time I checked about two weeks ago.  They both seem to have dropped by $83.

Jan 6, 2015 at 4:37 PM Post #530 of 6,486
  BTW, the Audeze site is back up with all the EL-8 information.

http://www.audeze.com/products/el-8-collection

Gotta love the quote from Forbes about the LCD-X on the EL-8 pages...

Jan 6, 2015 at 4:47 PM Post #531 of 6,486
WOW, 149 posts since I went to sleep six hours ago!! LOL.

Jan 6, 2015 at 4:53 PM Post #532 of 6,486
For me, as much as I'd love to own a mini LCD-X, this pair (EL-8) has a very tacky strip of wood, dark or light, and it is simply too heavy (more than twice the weigh of my Momentum, which I use as a portable if I want over-ear), and that cable looks like the cheap Sony headphones' cables one buys at grocery stores and supermarkets. It is definitely not portable in my book, but YMMV obviously.

Also, the design cues from the BMW designworks team is too obviously German, and reminds me of the HD518/558/598 lineup from Sennheiser.

And barely anybody has heard it or measured it, so all our assumptions about the sound quality is pure speculation and hype.

And once again, seriously that wood strip must have been an afterthought. It is so disjointed from the rest of the design, perhaps simply there to make it seem like part of the family?

Jan 6, 2015 at 5:01 PM Post #534 of 6,486
TL;DR  Lots of posts about the veneer, since we haven't heard it yet.

Don't forget the posts about IEMs in a planar thread. :ph34r:

Jan 6, 2015 at 5:03 PM Post #535 of 6,486
I can't believe that none of the handful of people that have actually heard these headphones have spared a thought for us, taken a time-out and written an in-depth review.  

Shameful.  

bigsmile_face.gif

Jan 6, 2015 at 5:05 PM Post #536 of 6,486
For me, as much as I'd love to own a mini LCD-X, this pair (EL-8) has a very tacky strip of wood, dark or light, and it is simply too heavy (more than twice the weigh of my Momentum, which I use as a portable if I want over-ear), and that cable looks like the cheap Sony headphones' cables one buys at grocery stores and supermarkets. It is definitely not portable in my book, but YMMV obviously.

Also, the design cues from the BMW designworks team is too obviously German, and reminds me of the HD518/558/598 lineup from Sennheiser.

And barely anybody has heard it or measured it, so all our assumptions about the sound quality is pure speculation and hype.

And once again, seriously that wood strip must have been an afterthought. It is so disjointed from the rest of the design, perhaps simply there to make it seem like part of the family?

Speculation is based on -

1. Jude saying it sounds great
2. Mike from 360 saying it sounds great
3. Audeze never making a headphone that didn't sound great

Yeah. It *could* be terrible, but this is the most unrealistically negative post on this thread yet.

When companies with a flawless track record like Audeze make a new model people are entitled to be interested and even excited about it.

Jan 6, 2015 at 5:05 PM Post #537 of 6,486

I guess their looking less expensive is a good argument for the veneer-less option, but seriously though, no one is going to try and rob me on the commuter bus. 

I already have some IEMs I like in the IE800, I'd like a full-sized headphone option of the same or better quality.

I have no interest in CIEMs. Over complicated, no resale value and I can't let anyone experience how nice they sound. Part of this hobby is turning other people on to great audio for me. 

Universals are the future, and now we are getting genuine high end universals starting to appear I think we are getting closer too that. Still a few advancements needed to get them there, but they will take over.

I disagree, all universals I've tried feel terrible to me and don't fit in any comfortable way especially on the go while moving. CIEM's on the other hand are locked into my ears for as long as I have them in. CIEM's also sound better by a very noticeable amount. You'd have to try them to realize what they offer.

Jan 6, 2015 at 5:10 PM Post #538 of 6,486
I was hoping from CES would have posted some impression, nothing till now. Expect for first post.

Jan 6, 2015 at 5:10 PM Post #539 of 6,486
  I disagree, all universals I've tried feel terrible to me and don't fit in any comfortable way especially on the go while moving. CIEM's on the other hand are locked into my ears for as long as I have them in. CIEM's also sound better by a very noticeable amount. You'd have to try them to realize what they offer.

Please take the IEM debate to another thread, there's enough to keep up with here already with all the new posts on the EL-8.

Thanks.

Jan 6, 2015 at 5:13 PM Post #540 of 6,486
Speculation is based on -

1. Jude saying it sounds great
2. Mike from 360 saying it sounds great
3. Audeze never making a headphone that didn't sound great

Yeah. It *could* be terrible, but this is the most unrealistically negative post on this thread yet.

When companies with a flawless track record like Audeze make a new model people are entitled to be interested and even excited about it.

I have not called it terrible sounding, because I have not read a single detailed impressions or heard it myself.

My one line of not wanting to get on the hype train was "the most unrealistically negative post in this thread"? Yours must be the most unrealistically exaggerated statement I've read in this thread then. :p

Either way, Audeze only had the LCD line until now, and the driver tech in the EL-8 is quite a departure from the previous headphones they've made. All companies, especially smaller ones, are capable of flawed products. Take the HD700 perhaps.

I never said the EL-8 sounds terrible, and did not criticize it at all. All I said was none of us has heard it, and people like Jude and Mike like many and say a lot of headphones sound great, as evident in the Head-Fi buying guide and Audio360's many reviews. Neither of them gave a very descriptive explanation of how it sounds, and they weren't exactly "Wow'ed".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back