Audeze EL-8: The EL-8 is a must-hear at CES 2015
May 9, 2016 at 12:53 AM Post #6,061 of 6,486
  Since you like changing gear every few months I suggest a used EL8o or HE-400i, both are relatively easy to drive.  If I were you I would get the HE-400i and spend the difference from the EL8 on a decent amp, that way you would also be able to use it on your r70x.  For flexibility I suggest a amp from Garage 1217, some of the more flexible amps around and will not break the bank.

I just picked up two Nuforce HA200's to run in monoblock balanced mode with a TEAC 301 DAC so I should never have power problems in the future. I just like trying out new headphones and while I like my R70's, I feel like its not an endgame can and I can do better. The problem is that there are few options between $500 and $1000. I want an open can with good detail but a decent amount of bass. I know the 650's are 90% what I'm looking for but I just know the bass will be a disappointment. I'll probably just get the Omni's. 

May 9, 2016 at 7:07 AM Post #6,062 of 6,486

I just picked up two Nuforce HA200's to run in monoblock balanced mode with a TEAC 301 DAC so I should never have power problems in the future.

That should be an interesting combination. Let me know how they sound. I always wanted to try out balanced.

May 9, 2016 at 7:37 AM Post #6,063 of 6,486

I just picked up two Nuforce HA200's to run in monoblock balanced mode with a TEAC 301 DAC so I should never have power problems in the future. I just like trying out new headphones and while I like my R70's, I feel like its not an endgame can and I can do better. The problem is that there are few options between $500 and $1000. I want an open can with good detail but a decent amount of bass. I know the 650's are 90% what I'm looking for but I just know the bass will be a disappointment. I'll probably just get the Omni's.

Try a HD-700, better details than EL8 and a decent amount of bass that extends quite low.

May 9, 2016 at 9:29 AM Post #6,064 of 6,486
  Try a HD-700, better details than EL8 and a decent amount of bass that extends quite low.

And a cringe-inducing spike at 6kHz. Unless you like your 'sss' to become 'SSSHHHH' and your 'ck' to become 'CCCHHH'.

May 9, 2016 at 1:36 PM Post #6,066 of 6,486
I always wanted to try the HD700. Those and the Woo Audio WA7 were supposed to be my end game. I didn't intend to keep spending money for minimal gains.

Easily the most disappointing and frustrating headphone I've ever owned. The only advantage the HD700 has (and frankly the only good thing the HD700 has) over the EL-8 is the comfort factor. The HD700 is exceptionally comfortable on the head, and extremely uncomfortable in the ear.

May 9, 2016 at 1:53 PM Post #6,067 of 6,486

Easily the most disappointing and frustrating headphone I've ever owned. The only advantage the HD700 has (and frankly the only good thing the HD700 has) over the EL-8 is the comfort factor. The HD700 is exceptionally comfortable on the head, and extremely uncomfortable in the ear.

Well, it is no longer my "end game" headphone. I wanted it to be previously, until I heard so many bad reviews about it.  I'll stick with my EL-8 O and hopefully not feel like I need to upgrade for another 2 years.

May 9, 2016 at 2:45 PM Post #6,068 of 6,486

The problem is that there are few options between $500 and $1000. I want an open can with good detail but a decent amount of bass. 

Well the EL-8 might be good as others here have reinforced. I'd throw the HE-560 in the ring too. I never know what a decent amount of bass is to folks though. Might be helpful to compare to other headphones, which ones have you tried or researched that you don't think have enough bass?

May 9, 2016 at 3:02 PM Post #6,069 of 6,486

And a cringe-inducing spike at 6kHz. Unless you like your 'sss' to become 'SSSHHHH' and your 'ck' to become 'CCCHHH'.

Really depends on the individual, it bothers some and for others its perfect, only way to tell is to try.

Its like the HD-600 for me has highs that sometimes bother me, every one is different and hears different so the only way to know is to audition, unfortunately for some its difficult or impossible without actually buying.

May 9, 2016 at 3:02 PM Post #6,070 of 6,486

Don't believe everything you read without comfirming it yourself. I love the HD700 - they are ridiculously comfortable, and as long as your source isn't peaky, they won't sound peaky. They are very GIGO, so if your sources are MP3s or badly mixed pop, you're going to prefer a softer upper midrange headphone.

May 9, 2016 at 3:18 PM Post #6,071 of 6,486

Don't believe everything you read without comfirming it yourself. I love the HD700 - they are ridiculously comfortable, and as long as your source isn't peaky, they won't sound peaky. They are very GIGO, so if your sources are MP3s or badly mixed pop, you're going to prefer a softer upper midrange headphone.

Did you miss the "I've ever owned" bit? They're comfortable, and the 6kHz spike in my FLAC-only library is both documented and audible.

Really depends on the individual, it bothers some and for others its perfect, only way to tell is to try.

Its like the HD-600 for me has highs that sometimes bother me, every one is different and hears different so the only way to know is to audition, unfortunately for some its difficult or impossible without actually buying.

If the HD600 is too shrill, RUN from the HD700.

May 9, 2016 at 10:44 PM Post #6,072 of 6,486

Did you miss the "I've ever owned" bit? They're comfortable, and the 6kHz spike in my FLAC-only library is both documented and audible.

If the HD600 is too shrill, RUN from the HD700.

I find the HD-700 much better than the HD-600 and have no problem with the 6khz spike, it doesn't bother me or my GF at all while the HD-600 bothers both of us.  That's why I say that it depends on the individual and how every one hears different, what sounds good to you may not sound good to me.

The EL8 seems to be missing the smooth extended highs that I like from the HD-700, HD-800, T1v1, and a few other headphones that I have.

May 10, 2016 at 4:11 AM Post #6,073 of 6,486
I don't think anybody in the history of this earth has ever called the highs on any of those headphones "smooth". You may like it but they all objectivity have massive treble spikes and treble ringing in the csd.

May 10, 2016 at 9:40 AM Post #6,074 of 6,486
I don't think anybody in the history of this earth has ever called the highs on any of those headphones "smooth". You may like it but they all objectivity have massive treble spikes and treble ringing in the csd.

Indeed, calling them smooth is almost bewildering.

However, those cans do have a lot in common, so I totally get grouping them like that. But "smooth" is an interesting choice. Hence the struggle of subjectively describing objective measurements.

May 10, 2016 at 9:51 AM Post #6,075 of 6,486
Audeze EL-8C and Audio Technica ATH-M50x can be contrasted in terms of being closed headphones. I found the M50x excruciatingly painful at high volumes. I find the EL-8C in contrast to be smooth. The relative amount of treble in the EL-8C, I do take issue with. My preference is more along the lines of the NAD VISO HP50 or Oppo PM-3 (neither headphone sits well on my head or over my ears). But the treble that is there in the EL-8C, I certainly find to be smooth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back