Audeze EL-8: The EL-8 is a must-hear at CES 2015
Apr 26, 2016 at 10:55 PM Post #5,928 of 6,486
Just got a balanced cable for the EL-8 to use with my Pono and I just say, it sounds great! Aren't I such a noob? I mean, who could actually like the Pono or the EL-8?

Apr 28, 2016 at 6:42 AM Post #5,929 of 6,486
I received a pair of 2016 EL-8Cs yesterday.  Here are my impressions.

COMPARED TO THE 2015 EL-8

My April 2015 EL-8Cs had the following issues: 

1) Loose EL-8 connectors

2) Easily broken 1/8" TRS jack

3) The plastic plates on the underside of the headband first cracked and then failed after daily use for 11+ months.  

They were replaced under warranty (with a scant two weeks left!). That's why I have the new 2016 EL-8Cs. 

NOTE ABOUT CUSTOMER SUPPORT RESPONSIVENESS

In January, it took Audeze 21 days to initially respond and 10 additional days to get me a replacement cable. This time I got a pre-paid FedEx label from Audeze Support on the same day, shipped the next day and received a replacement  EL-8C less than 5 days later.  That's a monumental improvement - on par with Amazon and other top-tier customer support organizations.

2016 PRODUCT IMPROVEMENTS

I have the new "white box" EL-8s. I am happy to report that Audeze has made significant progress on the loose and wobbly connector that I initially complained about a year ago.  The magnets and spring contacts on the headphones are much better than any previous EL-8.  

How much better?  Let's just say this vvvvv would have been impossible with the original EL-8s.

Aside: Audeze shipped me a prototype of the new model last winter.  It was not much better than the original - and I told them so.  I almost wonder if I was shipped an incorrect set of prototype phones?  The good new: the 2016 production model is much better than the prototype I evaluated.

IMHO: the latest version of the EL-8 solves the loose connector problem once and for all.

One thing to note: The improvement requires both new EL-8 headphones and the new cable. Using my 2015 cable resulted in a less firm connection. FWIW: The new cable is noticeably stiffer. It is a little harder to rollup for storage but I have a feeling it will be more durable. I have no idea if the 1/8" TRS connector is any better.  The previous model had a plastic core that was not very strong.

PLASTIC HEADBAND PARTS

The plastic headband plates don't appear to be different. They could be - I just won't know until I take them apart :).  With that in mind, you should consider EL-8s to be somewhat fragile.  Home users probably won't notice but I use my EL-8s everyday at work.  I am not rough on them. They just get lots of use. I think the plastic headband parts are a weak point in an otherwise decent design.

SONIC DIFFERNCES

I think the 2016 version sounds better: Slightly cleaner and more dynamic base.  Better treble extension without sibilance on my SS amps. I am in the initial 7 day honeymoon period so my comments should be taken in the proper context. Anyways, I like the new sound signature.  It is now similar to my HD800s. I now use the same EQ settings with both my HD-800s and EL-8s (for the time being at least).

Soundstage width - I mean - phone stage width is quite good for a set of planars but nothing exceptional. Perhaps, marginally better than before.  

EFFICIENCY

Here is one measure I can comment on: The 2016 EL-8s are less efficient than the previous model. Comfortable listening level on my OPPO HA-1 was -18 dB. It is now -13 db. My portable OPPO HA-2 rig is now maxed out at 0 db when I formerly had a click or two in reserve. Still OK for me but cell phone users may want to be careful.

OTHER THINGS

I might be wrong but the 2016 EL-8C seems heavier than before. My scale say 480 grams for phones + cable.  I don't remember my 2015 EL-8C measurements. 

FINAL VERDICT

People with other Audeze products will probably agree: Early production runs have quality and durability issues. To their credit, Audeze Support works hard (although sometimes slowly) to fix problems. Eventually, Audeze gets the bugs out and starts producing models with much higher quality. The EL-8 fits this pattern. My original EL-8 was mediocre at best. The new 2016  'white box' version is a better product. 

Welp I ordered mine directly from Audeze last night so hopefully (and should) get the most recent revision. Dude lol i would NOT be hanging a 480g 700$ headphone from its cable :joy:, def puts my mind at ease after reading about the lcd3 failure fiasco. Now to wait for Audeze to sell the cipher for the el-8 separate.

Apr 28, 2016 at 6:46 AM Post #5,930 of 6,486
Similar experience to me, but I found that it was a toss up between the LCD-2 and open EL-8.  In my honest opinion, they are both at the same level in terms of audio quality but the LCD-2s had a bit more bottom end and width at the expense of a little neutrality (it was pulled back more than the EL-8).  I think the styling and build of the EL-8s is a step up personally, the LCD-2s are just huge, bulky and don't sit flat or even lay down properly, you need a headphone stand to avoid them falling over.

Overall though, you just can't go wrong with either of  the two.  Next time I'm at the store, I will listen to the LCD-3, LCD-X and LCD-4 (only because I can, not because I will shell out the cash for em, hehe).

I was at a toss up over lcd2 or el8 also. Decided on the el8 because they were a bit cheaper, looked better and cipher compatible. Id soooooo like a LCD4....... I just cant justify 4k for a headphone though at my current pay grade, esp with occasionally little cousins being around.

Apr 28, 2016 at 9:17 AM Post #5,933 of 6,486

There is a waiting list, lol
biggrin.gif
, if you sign up now you would be number 21.  Now if you are a cute hot female, we can advance you a few places up
wink_face.gif

Apr 28, 2016 at 9:24 AM Post #5,934 of 6,486

There is a waiting list, lol
biggrin.gif
, if you sign up now you would be number 21.  Now if you are a cute hot female, we can advance you a few places up
wink_face.gif

Wait, you would adopt... I'll just leave that alone.

Anyway, I'm going to be comparing my LCD-2.2 and EL-8 this weekend, although according to snobs I don't know anything since I like the EL-8....

Apr 28, 2016 at 9:45 AM Post #5,936 of 6,486

Anyway, I'm going to be comparing my LCD-2.2 and EL-8 this weekend, although according to snobs I don't know anything since I like the EL-8....

I don't think you "don't know anything" for liking the EL8, to me its fits a niche for easy to drive planar, sort of portable since its on the heavy side.  I still have mine and use it once a day at least, rotate it with RS2e and X1 at our dinning room table system.  I think the LCD-2f has a better all around sound but if on the go EL8 wins.

As for adopting, first in line is my GF's daughter, she's already asked and my GF said no way, her daughter graduated from college last Dec, makes more money than the mom and still wants to be adopted (and is a hot looking chick to me), so if you have better credentials . . . .

Quote:
For a 560 ill be whatever you want
wink.gif
hahahaha just have to shave the beard off first :joy::flushed:

the beard is instant disqualification
tongue.gif

old picture of daughter

Apr 28, 2016 at 9:48 AM Post #5,937 of 6,486

I hear ya. Apparently I dont know anything because i like the stock T50rp sound, also apparently because i went with a 700$ el8, instead of a 2000$ bulky stax, a 5 frickin k$ abyss, or a harsh 1500$ hd800.
When i bought the he-400, i was stupid, should've bought a audeze, i bought a Audeze, and apparently im stupid for not buying a hek, ill buy a hek, and ill be stupid for not buying some form of a t50rp thats overpriced into oblivion, i could buy a boeing for the money. :unamused:

Apr 28, 2016 at 9:56 AM Post #5,938 of 6,486
I hear ya. Apparently I dont know anything because i like the stock T50rp sound, also apparently because i went with a 700$ el8, instead of a 2000$ bulky stax, a 5 frickin k$ abyss, or a harsh 1500$ hd800.
When i bought the he-400, i was stupid, should've bought a audeze, i bought a Audeze, and apparently im stupid for not buying a hek, ill buy a hek, and ill be stupid for not buying some form of a t50rp thats overpriced into oblivion, i could buy a boeing for the money. :unamused:

A little too much caffeine?

Apr 28, 2016 at 10:07 AM Post #5,939 of 6,486

Yep, I was ashamed of myself when I heard the HE-400 and went "holy crap, this is great!", since everyone ****s all over them too. And apparently an ear-bleeding stab at 6kHz (HD700/HD800) is better than a scoop.

My only complaint thus far is that the EL-8 is a little small for my comically massive, size 8 head. However, they're comfortable as far as small headphones go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back