Audeze EL-8: The EL-8 is a must-hear at CES 2015
Feb 4, 2016 at 3:53 PM Post #5,839 of 6,486
Just got word that they are in short supply of El-8's. They couldn't send me a replacement but instead they will ship me one from the batch that is currently being made within 48 hours! 2 days delay for the latest batch sounds good to me.

Feb 5, 2016 at 8:49 PM Post #5,845 of 6,486
@natalieann,
@klove4252
The EL8 was designed to be easy to drive so those with just cel phones could drive them, think it was a way for Audeze to get into a larger market, that's why they have them at the Apple store.

A few of my friends have iphones so I let them try my EL8-open and they all say that it sounds pretty good but most of them like the sound of Momentum better, my guess is that the bass on the Momentum is more present and the weight of the EL8 is a big problem, styling is also an issue to some, Momentum on-ears are a little more stylish, more so to like my GF and her friends.

Feb 6, 2016 at 5:30 AM Post #5,846 of 6,486
oleWhiskey said:
Ill try it again  but it seemed to make the highs more high and lows lighter,  if that makes sense

Is that the EL-8 open?

@DavidA. EL-8 is easy to drive but on a smartphone the Momentum is still quite a bit louder and a lot of people will prefer the Momentum. If you amp it to at least volume match maybe some will change their mind, but like you said the bass may still keep some preferring the Momentum

Feb 6, 2016 at 10:51 PM Post #5,849 of 6,486
Is that the EL-8 open?

@DavidA. EL-8 is easy to drive but on a smartphone the Momentum is still quite a bit louder and a lot of people will prefer the Momentum. If you amp it to at least volume match maybe some will change their mind, but like you said the bass may still keep some preferring the Momentum

Mine are open

Did comparison with two iPhone 5s, levels matched as close as possible using a third phone, used the same music so loudness not a difference maker.

Feb 13, 2016 at 6:55 PM Post #5,850 of 6,486
I've been lurking this thread for a couple of weeks, trying to decide on which model to order online. I've been looking mostly at the closed EL-8 since I want a new pair of headphones to use at work, but the review have been mixed. Today I finally had the chance to listen to the two models in person and compare the sound of the open vs. closed - the open EL-8 are just amazing!!!

To sum it up, I didn't care for the sound on the closed version at all. My fist reaction was that they sounded weird, but I still played through the 4 songs that I had picked out. I had to find something I liked with the headphones, but no, the closed version is not for me. I have to find another can for work.
With low expectations I switched to the open, and wow! The details, the soundstage... everything I wanted and have read about was there. Did not expect this big of difference between the two. But for me, they are like day and night. The only thing I missed with the open was that it had less punch in the bass, but I guess my Oppo HA-2 can take care of that part.

I ended my session with a quick listen to the LCD-2... speechless!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back