Audeze EL-8: The EL-8 is a must-hear at CES 2015
Jan 6, 2015 at 11:27 AM Post #421 of 6,486
Looks nice when folded for transport.

Jan 6, 2015 at 11:27 AM Post #422 of 6,486
  I could not care less what they look like as long as they have the best sound for the money.

+1

now that the looks have been beaten to death, which will never reach a consensus anyhow:
the hunt is on for some specs dB/mW, (dSPL at 1mW), ohms, etc.

Jan 6, 2015 at 11:29 AM Post #423 of 6,486
  But no one said that about the LCD. 

Quote:
  If Audeze were selling the LCD line primarily on looks and comfort...oh god. 

Sorry DreamKing,  I think I got the wrong idea from what you said above.   I just meant to say I love the look of the LCD series.  Comfort, yes that's another issue with definite room for improvement!    You're right, sonics are key. 

Exciting times. 

Regards

Jeb. 

Jan 6, 2015 at 11:31 AM Post #425 of 6,486

+1

now that the looks have been beaten to death, which will never reach a consensus anyhow:
the hunt is on for some specs dB/mW, (dSPL at 1mW), ohms, etc.

Impedance is 30 ohms. Only the sensitivity is not disclosed yet.

Jan 6, 2015 at 11:32 AM Post #426 of 6,486
Pre-orders for both open and close backs are up at Moon-Audio.com.... Late March/April delivery according to Moon Audio checkout.

Jan 6, 2015 at 11:33 AM Post #427 of 6,486
The CES show floor has been open for over 20 minutes and no reports yet? I seem to remember a distinct lack of user reports from CES last year. Anyone there today?

I've asked my brother to see if he can find the time in his schedule to check them out but he's probably pretty busy (there with his work), I'll update here if he reports anything back. 

I could not care less what they look like as long as they have the best sound for the money.

If two headphones sounded identical, would you not choose the one you preferred the look of?

Think the design is no more than OK compared to what's out there already. Oval shaped headphones are just, ugh...

Remains the best option for making phones more suitable for portable use.

The minimum height for a circumaural headphone that will fit any size ear is constricted vertically, since most ears are taller than they are wide.

If you have them circular, you either make them as tall as they are wide, or you make them smaller and offer a shrug at people with larger ears. 

The Focal headphones are roughly circular and small, but the circumaural models don't fit around a lot of people's ears. They could have made them oval and had them fit a much wider group of people.

Jan 6, 2015 at 11:36 AM Post #428 of 6,486
I hope they will put 2-nd cable (6.3mm plug) without mic and remote!

Jan 6, 2015 at 11:37 AM Post #429 of 6,486
Jan 6, 2015 at 11:40 AM Post #430 of 6,486

I've asked my brother to see if he can find the time in his schedule to check them out but he's probably pretty busy (there with his work), I'll update here if he reports anything back.

If two headphones sounded identical, would you not choose the one you preferred the look of?

-Can you name a pair that sounds the same but looks much different? not arguing, I just cant think of any :) (not counting colors of course)

Jan 6, 2015 at 11:46 AM Post #431 of 6,486
The first production run production includes standard headphone cable with 1/8” (3.5mm) stereo plug and 1/8” to ¼” stereo plug adapter.

:frowning2:

Jan 6, 2015 at 11:46 AM Post #432 of 6,486
I'm waiting for impressions on the closed back EL-8. A portable planar has to be closed IMO to be portable. Hopefully Audeze put a lot of effort into developing the sound of the closed model. At $699 seems like a bargain compared to what their other models cost

Jan 6, 2015 at 11:50 AM Post #433 of 6,486
If Alex has already said the EL-8 won't replace the LCD line, it seems like it would be confusing to price them close to $1000. Then they'd have two open headphones at about the same price, with the existing product at a higher level. If the EL8 was only closed back, that would make more sense, since the XC is a big step up in price.

Personally, I think the X is already confusing.  From the reviews, it's only "better" than the LCD-2f in certain circumstances, making the pricing somewhat confusing for me.  The XC, being closed, doesn't compete with the 2 or 3 so I'm just talking about the X.

I think the EL-8 is a different enough product that you could price it similarly and not confuse people.  At least based on the looks and the branding.  The only really valid reason (again in my humble opinion) to differentiate with price is if the sound is very similar to the LCD-2.  But then you're probably looking at the price going UP not down.

No, I suspect it's going to look better, be more comfortable and more portable but at the expense of SQ.  This will let them price it at $1k or less.  If the SQ is on par with the other cans, it'll have to be priced higher.

For me, the x is definition of the worlds best headphone that easily beats my lcd2 or the 3. The xc closed design allows me to hear more detail at lower volumes without disturbing those around me better fitting my personal use case. The x is better at higher volumes given its open design. The choice is yours.

Jan 6, 2015 at 11:55 AM Post #434 of 6,486

Currently Viewing

84 Members, 91 Guests

Not that head-fi thread view count is the ultimate predictor of success, but there is a LOT of interest in these.  Will be interesting to see what delivery times look like with what could be a large preorder volume.

Jan 6, 2015 at 11:59 AM Post #435 of 6,486
I like the look of the new cable / connectors.  The rest of the design seems middle of the road.  Cool price point compared to a lot of the huge $$$ products these days. 

Nice to see them have a semi-portable offering.  Hopefully they don't go nuts with a ton of new models, I liked their smaller product line.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back