Audeze EL-8 Closed Version Impressions Thread
Sep 7, 2020 at 4:55 PM Post #676 of 711
Hello everyone,

I have an opportunity to get these used for around 270$ (when calculated from GBP to USD), lightly used with a little pad scuffing, but otherwise in perfect condition.
I would say that's a pretty good deal but would like a second opinion on that one, I've also found a place to get a spare cable for 50$ and now I'm interested if anyone has experience in swapping the pads?
If I'm not mistaken they are glued on, has anyone tried anything apart from the Audeze replacement kit?

I'm in search of decent closed-backs, pairing with the Topping E30 DAC and A50 amp and for say 400$ with a spare cable and new pads these seem to be the best deal.
I think so. I bought a pair recently--also used--and think them well worth that price. Good sound. Good detail and imaging. Good isolation.

Dec 1, 2020 at 12:42 AM Post #677 of 711
Hello

something weird is happening to my left driver. Recently I find out that sometimes the left cup has no sound coming out of it, especially if I don’t use it for approximately a week. However if I use it everyday, it works fine.

Here are what I find out and the summary.

- If I don’t use my EL-8 for approximately a week, the left cup or channel has no sound. The right channel is normal however.
- I thought the left channel may be gone or broken. Then I use a digital multimeter to test and measure DC ohm at left and right channel. There is some tiny crack sound coming out of both channels.
- I plug the headphone cable to my headphone amp and left channel is back to normal.

and if I keep and don’t use the headphone 4-5 days, I have to repeat this loop again.

Dec 1, 2020 at 12:56 PM Post #678 of 711
Hello

something weird is happening to my left driver. Recently I find out that sometimes the left cup has no sound coming out of it, especially if I don’t use it for approximately a week. However if I use it everyday, it works fine.

Here are what I find out and the summary.

- If I don’t use my EL-8 for approximately a week, the left cup or channel has no sound. The right channel is normal however.
- I thought the left channel may be gone or broken. Then I use a digital multimeter to test and measure DC ohm at left and right channel. There is some tiny crack sound coming out of both channels.
- I plug the headphone cable to my headphone amp and left channel is back to normal.

and if I keep and don’t use the headphone 4-5 days, I have to repeat this loop again.

It's that stupid proprietary connector, I'm sure. I find mine develops a -3db channel imbalance in the left channel that either resolves itself over time or gets fixed by some slight and arcane adjustment to how the cable connector is seated in the cup. I can't even tell. But, when they're firing on all cylinders, they do sound lovely. I wish Audeze would revise these to use a simple mini-XLR like the LCD series.

Dec 1, 2020 at 1:35 PM Post #679 of 711
It's that stupid proprietary connector, I'm sure. I find mine develops a -3db channel imbalance in the left channel that either resolves itself over time or gets fixed by some slight and arcane adjustment to how the cable connector is seated in the cup. I can't even tell. But, when they're firing on all cylinders, they do sound lovely. I wish Audeze would revise these to use a simple mini-XLR like the LCD series.
I love my EL-8 but the loose connection is driving me nuts. I ended up just picking up an Aeon 2 Closed. Besides the bad connection and difficulty in getting cables, it's such a good headphone.

Dec 1, 2020 at 2:38 PM Post #680 of 711

Yeah, and the weird thing is Audeze made a big deal about this new connector being some great new thing they planned to continue to use in other products if I remember correctly -- definitely didn't turn out that way. :sweat_smile:

I'm fortunate I've not had any of those issues yet but I do have the occasional, plain ol' cut out once in a while and I have to reseat the cable carefully, but generally it's not been a big problem for me ... so far.

Dec 1, 2020 at 2:59 PM Post #681 of 711
Yeah, and the weird thing is Audeze made a big deal about this new connector being some great new thing they planned to continue to use in other products if I remember correctly -- definitely didn't turn out that way. :sweat_smile:

I'm fortunate I've not had any of those issues yet but I do have the occasional, plain ol' cut out once in a while and I have to reseat the cable carefully, but generally it's not been a big problem for me ... so far.

I can't imagine anyone using that connector for a significant length of time and thinking, "yes, this is the future." Could have been worse, I suppose. They could have used micro-USB. :sweat_smile:

It's a shame too. The EL-8C has exceptional isolation, excellent sound and aesthetics, and very good comfort. It could have been a real nice portable(ish) option. But as it is, I'm hesitant to ever unplug those cables and I'm sure as hell not stuffing them into a case while the cables are still plugged in.

Dec 1, 2020 at 5:41 PM Post #682 of 711
I love my EL-8 but the loose connection is driving me nuts. I ended up just picking up an Aeon 2 Closed. Besides the bad connection and difficulty in getting cables, it's such a good headphone.
I have a extra pair of standard 3.5mm cable and a new unpacked Cipher one, if interested. I'm also selling a yet repaired and driver replaced, almost like new condition El8 Titanium for sale, if interested, with full warranty by Audeze 3 years if something bad happen! And the price is nuts for such. Pop-Corns! Good price! xD

Jan 20, 2021 at 8:00 AM Post #683 of 711
Does anyone know a reputable source where I could get a new el-c? I like mine so much that I want to find one to put away in case mine breaks. I just don't want to pick any up from that stolen batch.

Jan 20, 2021 at 8:14 AM Post #684 of 711
Does anyone know a reputable source where I could get a new el-c? I like mine so much that I want to find one to put away in case mine breaks. I just don't want to pick any up from that stolen batch.

I don't think there's anything more you can do other than watch ebay, which is how I got mine this spring. Mine was mint. The good news is that whatever you find is likely to be far cheaper than the MSRP.

I like them a lot and definitely intend to move up to an LCD-2 or X one of these days, as I'm sold on the Audeze sound.

Jan 20, 2021 at 8:19 AM Post #685 of 711
I don't think there's anything more you can do other than watch ebay, which is how I got mine this spring. Mine was mint. The good news is that whatever you find is likely to be far cheaper than the MSRP.

I like them a lot and definitely intend to move up to an LCD-2 or X one of these days, as I'm sold on the Audeze sound.
Thanks. Do you remember what seller you used?

Jan 20, 2021 at 8:52 PM Post #686 of 711
Does anyone have a cable from Moon? I'm hoping their connector are a tighter fit. I'm hoping someone has some experience with them.

Jan 22, 2021 at 7:13 AM Post #687 of 711
Thanks. Do you remember what seller you used?

A person named ibmquality. I paid $275. I got the "Titanium" model, which as far as I know is nothing more than the Closed model, but with a dac/amp dongle designed for iPhones. This set was missing the dongle, which suited me fine since I have an Android phone, and in any event I use an Asgard3 on my desk, and a BTR5 on the road. No dongle needed.

I don't know enough to know how these stack up in the world of closed cans. I'm 100% confident that for the price I paid these are a steal, and in my eyes they're certainly worth up to up to 50% of the MSRP. After that, I don't know. My closed cans previous to these were DT770/32 Ohms, and these are in a whole other league.

https://www.ebay.com/usr/ibmquality?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2754

Jan 30, 2021 at 11:04 AM Post #688 of 711
Just bought a pair of these from Wallmart (2016 El-8C's - wood version) for about $350 new. They appear to be genuine! I have to say, I am very impressed by their performance. I have Verite Closed Camphor Burls, LCD -XC's (maple 2020), and have previously owned the Elegias and the Aeon 2 Closed as well. In comparison, the EL-8 C's is one of the best closed backs I have heard to date. Excellent detail retrieval, good dynamics, and competitive soundstage (no Verite closed, but that's not a fair comparison). Their stock tonality is very good, especially for an Audeze. Just missing a bit too much in the lower midrange (250-500 hz), and a little too hot at 3k and 8k. Overall, these are one of the best closed backs I have heard. Handily beat the Aeons 2's and the Elegia's, and still hold a candle to the XC's (just missing that last bit of resolution). At $350 brand new, these are a steal!

Honestly, I am confused as to how these were reviewed so terribly by the community at large. These sound nothing like so many of the reviews say they do.

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2021 at 5:36 AM Post #689 of 711
... Overall, these are one of the best closed backs I have heard. Handily beat the Aeons 2's and the Elegia's, and still hold a candle to the XC's (just missing that last bit of resolution). At $350 brand new, these are a steal!
Honestly, I am confused as to how these were reviewed so terribly by the community at large. These sound nothing like so many of the reviews say they do.
There seems to be some variation(s) in the tuning AUDEZE released over the time.
The reviews mainly refer to the earlier version(s).
The latest, including the Titanium, sound like you describe them.

I do have the Titanium and I am very satisfied too.
Cipher is a nice addition that allows some personal tuning if you run an iOS device.

Mar 6, 2021 at 12:06 PM Post #690 of 711
There seems to be some variation(s) in the tuning AUDEZE released over the time.
The reviews mainly refer to the earlier version(s).
The latest, including the Titanium, sound like you describe them.

I do have the Titanium and I am very satisfied too.
Cipher is a nice addition that allows some personal tuning if you run an iOS device.
The headphones do suffer from sensitivity due to pressure changes, which I think contributed to the perception that they were "broken", or cut-out in one ear. But for me, I haven't been bothered by this as I am not too active while listening to music. And from what I can tell, the only difference between the titanium and regular version, is the addition of frontal damping in the reg (wooden version). There's a cotton cloth beneath the pads on the regular version, and this reduces the resolution and detail retrieval a bit, but helps dampen those high frequencies. The titanium version forgoes the damping, and instead uses the cipher dsp cable to correct for this. I think this is how they got the resolution to be better on the titanium. I cut-out the cloth on mine, and used some EQ to fix the highs and they are much more resolving now. A decent mod to get these to sound their best!

Attachments

• PXL_20210306_170403449.jpg
    PXL_20210306_170403449.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back