Audeze EL-8 Closed Version Impressions Thread
Feb 14, 2016 at 12:34 PM Post #166 of 711
Just purchased some EL-8s less than a month ago and yet somehow already the right ear seemed to have stopped playing sound completely. I love these things but the fact it was that quick for this to happen is seriously concerning. 

Feb 14, 2016 at 1:07 PM Post #167 of 711
  Just purchased some EL-8s less than a month ago and yet somehow already the right ear seemed to have stopped playing sound completely. I love these things but the fact it was that quick for this to happen is seriously concerning. 

I knew it... Doesn't matter what batch your headphones came, there will be some defectives. Quality control is really bad on the El-8s.

Feb 14, 2016 at 1:15 PM Post #168 of 711

Happens after a month for some guys, 3 months for others, even was told one guy had his for 6 months before ear cup failure. It's so hard defending these headphones. 

It's such a shame because they were so close to nailing portable high end cans with these. 

Feb 14, 2016 at 6:26 PM Post #169 of 711

Happens after a month for some guys, 3 months for others, even was told one guy had his for 6 months before ear cup failure. It's so hard defending these headphones. 

It's such a shame because they were so close to nailing portable high end cans with these. 

Really yes, you have the batches with defective sound, then the ones with thack tape sound, then the ones with ear cups failing, then the connectors failure. It looks like getting a good one is like a lottery ticket! ...and I am talking by experience :frowning2: maybe they will release in the coming months an EL8 II with these issues fixed, because its usual for the first production batches to have some issues, but this seems to be going on and on

Feb 15, 2016 at 12:04 AM Post #172 of 711

My first pair had that issue on both earcups, but the noise is when playing music or only when you push them in/out wearing them? In my case only when pushing them in/out, is like the air movement inside the headphone caused that thack thack sound.

Exact same issue I am experiencing but only on my left earcup. 

Feb 15, 2016 at 11:24 AM Post #173 of 711
OK, so has Audeze changed the sound signature on the EL-8 closed? Keith Howard's review of the open EL-8 in UK Hi-Fi News mag, and he speaks of "reticent treble" an "emollient touch", "warm tonal cast", "bell like clarity of Emma Kirkby's voice with well-controlled sibilants"...mine are shrieking in the top end.

Feb 15, 2016 at 11:55 AM Post #174 of 711
  OK, so has Audeze changed the sound signature on the EL-8 closed? Keith Howard's review of the open EL-8 in UK Hi-Fi News mag, and he speaks of "reticent treble" an "emollient touch", "warm tonal cast", "bell like clarity of Emma Kirkby's voice with well-controlled sibilants"...mine are shrieking in the top end.

Keith Howard was correct, if your highs are shrieking you have a defective pair. 

Feb 15, 2016 at 3:01 PM Post #175 of 711
So all of the first edition were defective then? Everyone that I knew had a bright pair...

Just for the record, the date on my Certificate Of Authenticity is 4-1-15

Feb 15, 2016 at 3:04 PM Post #176 of 711
  So all of the first edition were defective then? Everyone that I knew had a bright pair...

Just for the record, the date on my Certificate Of Authenticity is 4-1-15

The date doesn't matter. A lot of them are defective, many different issues though. My Certificate Of Authenticity is 2-10-16 and it has a thack noise in the left earcup and that was a replacement for the pair that had piercing highs.

Feb 15, 2016 at 4:45 PM Post #178 of 711
I just hope Audeze responds quick to my request to return them. Its been less than 30 days and I hope they don't try to wait until right after 30 days to respond.

I don't think it's going to matter, was 3 months before I returned mine, they know they're defective. Turn around time for me averaged around 10 days

Feb 15, 2016 at 5:33 PM Post #179 of 711
I don't think it's going to matter, was 3 months before I returned mine, they know they're defective. Turn around time for me averaged around 10 days

I wonder if they are going to improve the El-8 like they did with the LCD-4 and give everyone a free upgrade. They both seem to have the same issues and they both use the new Fluxor magnets (Though the El-8 is only single sided).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back