Audeze EL-8 Closed Version Impressions Thread
Feb 21, 2016 at 5:39 PM Post #196 of 711
  Have you heard the Deckard? Per my text above, I am always seeking more insight.

I own the Deckard and it's my main amp. I also own the Asgard 2, but I loaned it to a Head Fi member in November, I may ask for it back soon, but not missing it. 

Feb 21, 2016 at 5:43 PM Post #197 of 711
If the sound performance b/w the two rigs is near equal, the only difference is if you want seperate components or not. Having them apart is nice if you expect to upgrade just one section, but when they're housed together it's a shorter signal path that's already matched to itself.

Feb 21, 2016 at 6:15 PM Post #198 of 711
  Considering how efficient the EL-8C is, power is a non-issue. I've used the Asgard 2 and Bifrost 4490 and the pairing is good. But here's what I believe you are truly looking at:

1. Bifrost: a DAC that will stay with you forever, in that it will have updates from Schiit ad infinitum.
  2. Deckard: a likely cleaner, clearer amplifier. Yes, it has more power - but you're not running an HE-6. Also for the high resolution believers, you can play with 352.8kHz and 384kHz sample rates.

I wish there was more written regarding the Deckard amplifier, but from my experiences with the Asgard 2, I'll admit it can be a little hard. That is not to say that it is terrible - quite the contrary, I find it to be very enjoyable! But my guess is the Deckard beats it in certain audible qualities, which go beyond sheer power.

Have you heard the Deckard? Per my text above, I am always seeking more insight.

So Deckard is the better combo over all? Would you say the Dac in the Deckhard is comparable to the Bitfrost or also slightly better?

Yes it seems the Bitfrost and Schiit combo is easier to upgrade. 

Not sure if this changes your thoughts but considering adding audio engine speakers to the set up as well.

Feb 21, 2016 at 6:28 PM Post #199 of 711
  So Deckard is the better combo over all? Would you say the Dac in the Deckhard is comparable to the Bitfrost or also slightly better?

Yes it seems the Bitfrost and Schiit combo is easier to upgrade. 

Not sure if this changes your thoughts but considering adding audio engine speakers to the set up as well.

I'd wait to hear more from @inthere with regards to the DAC. No changes to my opinion - Asgard 2 and Deckard both have pre-amplifier outputs.

The Schiit combination is easier to upgrade, say to sell the amplifier when you find something better. But seems the amplifier in the Deckard is already something better. Perhaps, if the DAC is decent, get Deckard and think about a DAC down the road?

I said I'm happy with Asgard 2, but it was an experiment (bought used for $180) - I'd never heard something that was 100% class-A. And it drove certain headphones of mine with more authority than my Meier Audio Corda Rock. Not knocking the Corda Rock either - Asgard 2 simply had more power. But I have better amplifiers than either for when I really want to dig into the music. Why not get yourself an excellent amplifier, if you don't have something approaching at least midlevel?

There will always be a better DAC down the road.

Feb 21, 2016 at 6:39 PM Post #200 of 711
  I'd wait to hear more from @inthere with regards to the DAC. No changes to my opinion - Asgard 2 and Deckard both have pre-amplifier outputs.

The Schiit combination is easier to upgrade, say to sell the amplifier when you find something better. But seems the amplifier in the Deckard is already something better. Perhaps, if the DAC is decent, get Deckard and think about a DAC down the road?

I said I'm happy with Asgard 2, but it was an experiment (bought used for $180) - I'd never heard something that was 100% class-A. And it drove certain headphones of mine with more authority than my Meier Audio Corda Rock. Not knocking the Corda Rock either - Asgard 2 simply had more power. But I have better amplifiers than either for when I really want to dig into the music. Why not get yourself an excellent amplifier, if you don't have something approaching at least midlevel?

There will always be a better DAC down the road.

well the good news is I use to have first Gen Schiit Stack Modi Magni but sold that probably 8 months ago. Haven't had time to get back into this until now so I am starting fresh.

Looks like over all the Deckard is better, but the Schiit stack is easier to upgrade. I would most likely start with the Bitfrost 4490 don't want to buy the multi bit. Asgard 2 would easily be upgraded to the next amp level up by schiit.

Just deckard looks like a good deal right now in comparison. 

Feb 21, 2016 at 6:58 PM Post #201 of 711
  Audeze Deckard I think, never heard the Bifrost but Deckard is way more powerful than the Asgard 2 and slightly better sound quality imo, I had the Asgard and loaned it to a friend but i compared them when I had it. 

Bitfrost is the Dac that I was planning to pair with the Deckard.

Bitfrost link - http://schiit.com/products/bifrost

Feb 22, 2016 at 4:08 AM Post #202 of 711
  Bitfrost is the Dac that I was planning to pair with the Deckard.

Bitfrost link - http://schiit.com/products/bifrost

I know very well what the Bifrost is, I've just never owned one. Not really a need for a DAC for me because my DA conversion is handled by my pro units-Metric Halo ULN-8, Prism Orpheus, and Prism Lyra. 

Feb 22, 2016 at 5:43 PM Post #203 of 711
Here is another question for the group.

I pulled the Trigger on the Deckard.

I am also looking for a travel amp and potentially dac that I can pair with my iphone 6 or macbook retina to drive these and sound to the level of the Deckard (might be wishful thinking). Any suggestions would be great. From what I can tell might only need a amp like the FiiO E12

Feb 22, 2016 at 5:53 PM Post #204 of 711
If you can, step up to the Cayin C5. The bass boost is smoother, the staging is more open, lower noise floor, and similar power. There's very little to complain about, other than that the low gain could be a little lower.

Feb 22, 2016 at 8:51 PM Post #206 of 711
I also have the Cayin C5 and highly recommend it for the EL-8

Feb 22, 2016 at 11:00 PM Post #208 of 711
Personally, I've never heard of somebody enjoying the E12 over the C5. They're both very popular in basshead threads of this forum that I frequent. Some think the E12's bass boost might possibly hit harder, but the main contributors to the community use the C5 with its smoother and more open, detailed sound.

Feb 23, 2016 at 6:20 AM Post #209 of 711
  Over the Fiio E12?

Definitely. I have both. They're very close in sound quality and power but the Cayin has a better soundstage and better battery life. I think my Fiio E12 is down to like an hour and a half battery life, it degraded quickly. The Cayin still does a good 4-6 hours.

If you want better battery life, look into the iFi iCan Nano, which I

also have, it gets 70+ hours on a single charge, but the Cayin sounds better and is more powerful. 

Feb 23, 2016 at 4:04 PM Post #210 of 711
Does anyone heard about the Xduoo XD-05? I think it should pair quite well with the EL-8s

It is supposed to move up to Audezes LCD2s...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back