Audeze CRBN Interview, Review, Measurements
Sep 8, 2021 at 7:21 PM Post #571 of 1,903
The extremely fast, lightweight and often time bright combination could make some albums really shine.
I'm of a mixed opinion on this. Disregarding level (because that's also a major contributing factor to the perception), all things being equal, I sometimes hear estats as having a kind of 'flatness' to the treble frequencies. I know this is a meaningless metaphor that's not anchored to anything, but this is what I perceive as the negative aspects of the typical estat timbre. On the flip side, I'm in love with the benefits to detail and clarity that they provide, so I see why people like them too.

headphones.com Stay updated on headphones.com at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.headphones.com/ andrew@headphones.com
Sep 8, 2021 at 8:40 PM Post #572 of 1,903
I'm actually a little disappointed that it doesn't have the common "e-stat timbre". If I want a pair of e-stat without "estat-timbre", I'll just get a pair of planars instead. The extremely fast, lightweight and often time bright combination could make some albums really shine.

I do get this perspective. But thinking of it a bit differently, a couple things come to mind. It would be really, really hard for any new e-stat to best the 009 or HE60, for example, at what they do best..particularly for a new company/brand entering the space. With the traditional sound of Audeze headphones often described, I assumed that it would be somewhat closer to the 007, which avoids all issues with highs, has great contrasting timbre compared to most stats, with a compelling bottom end--while still doing a LOT of what the 009, HE60, etc. do technically.

Not at all saying the CRBN can perform at the same level of the 007 (have to hear them first), but trying to position a headphone closer to it, at lest to me.. makes a lot of sense. It's closer to what they already excel at and it fills a void that many are likely to care about. I do hope it takes some of the technical prowess the 009 has, but I'm definitely not expecting it to replace it or be a step above. But these are all assumptions and may all be rubbish after hearing over a few weeks lol, but we'll see. :)

Sep 8, 2021 at 10:41 PM Post #575 of 1,903
This thread is making me want to try the LCD-R more than the CRBN!
CRBN is definitely worth a listen if you're curious about an alternative take on an estat - at least that's how I'm into it so far. But I'm also very curious about the R. Kinda hope they revisit that idea sometime in the future.

headphones.com Stay updated on headphones.com at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.headphones.com/ andrew@headphones.com
Sep 8, 2021 at 10:50 PM Post #576 of 1,903
CRBN is definitely worth a listen if you're curious about an alternative take on an estat - at least that's how I'm into it so far. But I'm also very curious about the R. Kinda hope they revisit that idea sometime in the future.
I'll send you my LCD-R if you send me your CRBN!

Sep 8, 2021 at 10:51 PM Post #577 of 1,903
I predict the R is going to achieve mythical status, just due to how limited the quantities were. Gone in a flash!
(Maybe that’s why they went with the Lichtenberg pattern)

Very much looking forward to listening to the CRBN, as well as the new Stealth and the Meze Elite.

Supposedly the Stealth is great but a lacking a bit of bass slam, whereas the Elite has an interesting tuning but may lack some resolving power compared to others at its price.

Sep 9, 2021 at 10:43 PM Post #578 of 1,903
I predict the R is going to achieve mythical status, just due to how limited the quantities were. Gone in a flash!
(Maybe that’s why they went with the Lichtenberg pattern)

Very much looking forward to listening to the CRBN, as well as the new Stealth and the Meze Elite.

Supposedly the Stealth is great but a lacking a bit of bass slam, whereas the Elite has an interesting tuning but may lack some resolving power compared to others at its price.
It already is in that status as it is sold out and only 67 were built according to the Audeze website.

Sep 9, 2021 at 10:53 PM Post #579 of 1,903
I guess I will be quite shocked when I get a chance to hear the CRBN as with my 009S and my A-10, I don't even think like these discussions. I just hear the most natural presentation of the music I have ever heard with no regrets. The only thoughts I have is would a different DAC really improve it further. I upgraded to the DirectStream DAC not much earlier than jumping into the electrostatic rabbit hole. I've started looking at Bricasti's M3.

Sep 9, 2021 at 10:57 PM Post #580 of 1,903
I had a Directstream Dac for years. It is a great Dac. If you have not kept up a whole new DS MKII will be out this year of 1st quarter next year.

Sep 9, 2021 at 11:37 PM Post #581 of 1,903
I had a Directstream Dac for years. It is a great Dac. If you have not kept up a whole new DS MKII will be out this year of 1st quarter next year.
I recall at the 1st ZMFestival you having the DS and the Liquid Gold if memories serve me. I thought the new MK II was going way upscale with a 2 box design? What are you using now since you used the past tense "had'?

Sep 10, 2021 at 1:32 AM Post #582 of 1,903
This thread is making me want to try the LCD-R more than the CRBN!
I will make sure to compare CRBN and LCD-R.

LCD-R both off Jot A and speaker amp; CRBN both off a custom SR-X with BHSE output & a simple mjolnir audio energizer.

It genuinely is a magical headphone, I’ve come to be a Audeze fanboy almost..

Right up there with Susvara/ Raal SR1a imho. Outclasses Utopia, D8000 Pro, LCD4 in overall performance.
2EDFC2F7-1C2A-4801-A798-EE64F4F7E334.jpegE9216233-E607-4D5E-BAA8-580862B68066.jpeg

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Sep 10, 2021 at 1:39 AM Post #583 of 1,903
I will make sure to compare CRBN and LCD-R.

LCD-R both off Jot A and speaker amp; CRBN both off a custom SR-X with BHSE output & a simple mjolnir audio energizer.

It genuinely is a magical headphone, I’ve come to be a Audeze fanboy almost..

Right up there with Susvara/ Raal SR1a imho. Outclasses Utopia, D8000 Pro, LCD4 in overall performance.
2EDFC2F7-1C2A-4801-A798-EE64F4F7E334.jpegE9216233-E607-4D5E-BAA8-580862B68066.jpeg
Is that TWO LCD-R’s?!

Sep 10, 2021 at 7:38 AM Post #584 of 1,903
Is that TWO LCD-R’s?!
I assume one is to play off of the Jot-A, and the other off of the speaker amp? Are you using an attenuation circuit/L-pad?

Sep 10, 2021 at 9:16 AM Post #585 of 1,903
I recall at the 1st ZMFestival you having the DS and the Liquid Gold if memories serve me. I thought the new MK II was going way upscale with a 2 box design? What are you using now since you used the past tense "had'?
There are two new DACs in development: the DS MkII a successor to the DSD with larger FPGA and other improvements. The price will be 15-20% higher than the DSD with release in 4-8 months. The second is the TSS (Ted Smith Special) which will be a two box special that moves way upscale with a projected price anywhere from 15-25K. That box is still far in the future. I went with a dCS Rossini with Clock wanting to eliminate a separate streamer and reduce footprint.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back