Audeze CRBN Interview, Review, Measurements
Aug 3, 2021 at 10:03 PM Post #166 of 1,894
Look forward to a listen on the BHSE. Been looking for a E-stat to complement my Stax 009s. Hope they do not sound to similar since I really like to switch between the two for different genre of music. $4500 is steep, but if worth it I will justify the cost. I already own the the rig. Look forward to the listen at canjam SoCal.

Aug 3, 2021 at 10:05 PM Post #167 of 1,894
I’m looking for a compliment to my Vocé. I think it will pair well with my BHSE.

Aug 3, 2021 at 10:05 PM Post #168 of 1,894
Interested to see how this performs in comparison to the HE60 and SR-007. Two estats I find vastly superior to the 009 in almost all respects. The emphasis around 1 -2k reminiscent of the SR-009 makes me a bit anxious of it sounding thin though!

Aug 3, 2021 at 11:51 PM Post #169 of 1,894
I have also witnessed a couple times in the past of an electrically-burnt stat diaphragm (once even on my own 007 when I used to have them years ago). Obviously guarding against any and all potential damages is nearly impossible when dealing with the high voltages of an estat headphone, but does the CRBN diaphragm have any slight advantages in this regard? Again, I'm not looking for absolutes. I don't expect that you've explicitly tested this sort of thing to destruction.

probably not with the 200Vppss amp promoted earlier ( ;-p ) but I suppose there are KG amps out there with enough power to cause arcing eventually although I suppose the apparently larger DS gap used here may mitigate the issue a bit. Now, I wonder that most severely burnt diaphragms are the result of using transfomer boxes with high power amps rather than dedicated amps ?

ps: from wikipedia, 1500Vppss would suffice for a 0.5mm DS gap…
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrical_breakdown
<<Partial discharge in air causes the "fresh air" smell of ozone during thunderstorms or around high-voltage equipment. Although air is normally an excellent insulator, when stressed by a sufficiently high voltage (an electric field of about 3 x 106 V/m or 3 kV/mm[3]), air can begin to break down, becoming partially conductive. Across relatively small gaps, breakdown voltage in air is a function of gap length times pressure. If the voltage is sufficiently high, complete electrical breakdown of the air will culminate in an electrical spark or an electric arc that bridges the entire gap.>>

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2021 at 12:44 AM Post #170 of 1,894
probably not with the 200Vppss amp promoted earlier ( ;-p ) but I suppose there are KG amps out there with enough power to cause arcing eventually although I suppose the apparently larger DS gap used here may mitigate the issue a bit. Now, I wonder that most severely burnt diaphragms are the result of using transfomer boxes with high power amps rather than dedicated amps ?

ps: from wikipedia, 1500Vppss would suffice for a 0.5mm DS gap…
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrical_breakdown
<<Partial discharge in air causes the "fresh air" smell of ozone during thunderstorms or around high-voltage equipment. Although air is normally an excellent insulator, when stressed by a sufficiently high voltage (an electric field of about 3 x 106 V/m or 3 kV/mm[3]), air can begin to break down, becoming partially conductive. Across relatively small gaps, breakdown voltage in air is a function of gap length times pressure. If the voltage is sufficiently high, complete electrical breakdown of the air will culminate in an electrical spark or an electric arc that bridges the entire gap.>>
Now now, Arnaud, they aren't pulling you back in, right? :stuck_out_tongue:

Aug 4, 2021 at 12:56 AM Post #171 of 1,894
Interested to see how this performs in comparison to the HE60 and SR-007. Two estats I find vastly superior to the 009 in almost all respects. The emphasis around 1 -2k reminiscent of the SR-009 makes me a bit anxious of it sounding thin though!
Although I own all the 'stats you mention (HE60, SR007, SR009), I wouldn't call HE60 "vastly superior." You are probably one of many people who are quite sensitive in that 1-3K range, and in that case, you definitely should avoid Audeze CRBN unless you plan to EQ that area down like Jude did...

Aug 4, 2021 at 1:29 AM Post #172 of 1,894
Did anyone noticed Shankar mentioning that they can/already have an IEM size version of the Medical version?

Maybe we will see an Audeze Electrostatic IEM soon. :)

Aug 4, 2021 at 1:31 AM Post #173 of 1,894
Did anyone noticed Shankar mentioning that they can/already have an IEM size version of the Medical version?

Yup, I got all excited when he mentioned that in the video.

I love headphones, but IEMs are more comfortable for me and won’t irritate my crown for longer listening sessions.

Aug 4, 2021 at 3:05 AM Post #174 of 1,894

Exciting times that we live in

Aug 4, 2021 at 3:44 AM Post #176 of 1,894
Would the ifi pro iesl do the job driving these with decent results?
Yes, from what I gathered in my Stax amp research, the iesl should run them at least decent.

Actual impressions of the iesl were always very positive.

Aug 4, 2021 at 4:11 AM Post #179 of 1,894
I honestly can't wait to use convolution filters that targets CRBN's response on my 009S. :beyersmile:
Guess you need to get a CRBN first and send it to Finland to have it measured by Jaakob and the needed Convolution files generated :wink:

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2021 at 6:01 AM Post #180 of 1,894
I must admit, it's nice to see, that the cable makes a fine impression.

Estat cables are not interchangeable for obvious reasons, with that cable there is probably no urge to change it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back