Audeze CRBN Interview, Review, Measurements
Nov 11, 2023 at 6:35 AM Post #1,861 of 1,903
I'm having a listening session with my CRBN this afternoon, this time using Audeze CRBN linear preset @ 91%, and wow it sounds even better than plugging in Bob's PEQ values (as mentioned by @KMann earlier). It's weird, since previously I did find Bob's EQ to have better timbre and tonality. Still trying to pinpoint why this is the case, it could be that now I have a different DAC and this plays a factor.

In any case, with Audeze preset, I'm surprised (again) by the sheer amount of bass the CRBN is able to deliver, while having this super sweet midrange tonality and tremendous transparency across all frequency range. And this is without a dedicated estat amp, just using Mjolnir SRD-7 w/ my CFA3. It sounds really really incredible. Below is the album that I am enjoying so much with CRBN this afternoon, a fast paced album with amazing dynamics:

Screenshot 2023-11-11 at 18.19.38.png

Nov 19, 2023 at 9:05 AM Post #1,862 of 1,903
Just bought this album a few days ago in DSD512 format, and boy, CRBN is flawless in delivering Diana's vocals and nuances. The double bass takes center stage together with her vocals in such a vivid way. Huge quantity of bass but very tight, as it never bleeds into the mids. I used to feel that CRBN's timbre and tonality are still behind CA-1a, but now somehow it feels very very natural, and goes toe-to-toe with CA-1a in becoming my most favorite headphone. Neutral-warm, uber transparent sound with heaps of non-fatiguing details and delicious bass 👌🏼

Screenshot 2023-11-19 at 20.51.41.png

Nov 19, 2023 at 12:08 PM Post #1,863 of 1,903
The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Nov 21, 2023 at 11:43 AM Post #1,864 of 1,903
I'm having a listening session with my CRBN this afternoon, this time using Audeze CRBN linear preset @ 91%, and wow it sounds even better than plugging in Bob's PEQ values (as mentioned by @KMann earlier). It's weird, since previously I did find Bob's EQ to have better timbre and tonality. Still trying to pinpoint why this is the case, it could be that now I have a different DAC and this plays a factor.

In any case, with Audeze preset, I'm surprised (again) by the sheer amount of bass the CRBN is able to deliver, while having this super sweet midrange tonality and tremendous transparency across all frequency range. And this is without a dedicated estat amp, just using Mjolnir SRD-7 w/ my CFA3. It sounds really really incredible. Below is the album that I am enjoying so much with CRBN this afternoon, a fast paced album with amazing dynamics:

Screenshot 2023-11-11 at 18.19.38.png
Tonally they should be really close but from my experience, the difference is mostly in clarity and imaging. With a resolving setup, the difference in clarity between PEQ and linear filters becomes more obvious.

Feb 16, 2024 at 8:28 PM Post #1,865 of 1,903
Taking the CRBN out for a spin, after a long hiatus. Been rotating between the HE-90, which I had on an extended loan, and vintage Stax earspeakers. As well as exploring Audio Technica woodies like the L3000 and L5000.

Decided to try running the CRBN out of the Stax 007t that @spritzer had refurbished and overhauled. Nice way to start the weekend. :)

IMG_3211.jpeg

Feb 16, 2024 at 8:29 PM Post #1,866 of 1,903
Taking the CRBN out for a spin, after a long hiatus. Been rotating between the HE-90, which I had on an extended loan, and vintage Stax earspeakers. As well as exploring Audio Technica woodies like the L3000 and L5000.

Decided to try running the CRBN out of the Stax 007t that @spritzer had refurbished and overhauled. Nice way to start the weekend. :)

IMG_3211.jpeg
Where do you feel the crbn and he90 rank now among your collection ? I owned the crbn for a while and liked it but ultimately had issues with the timber - tempted to give it another go eventually

Feb 16, 2024 at 8:47 PM Post #1,867 of 1,903
Where do you feel the crbn and he90 rank now among your collection ? I owned the crbn for a while and liked it but ultimately had issues with the timber - tempted to give it another go eventually

Sadly, the HE-90 has gone back to its owner. :) @Uncle Wilson was most kind to extend the loan as part of his contribution to my well being during treatment.

I think HE-90 is quite different from the rest of the Stax earspeakers I have. Senn has a very different approach to presentation of music. Whilst admittedly coloured, I did come around to enjoying the richness and lush presentation. For the type of music I listen to, I would place it amongst the most enjoyable e-stat headphones for me. :)

As for the CRBN, I do enjoy it precisely because it is so different from the Stax earspeakers. It is the same way I enjoy the DCA Voce (with new earpads). Is it perfect? No…. But then again, what I am looking for simply variety in musical presentation. Whilst it does sound great out of the KGSSHV Carbon, it is also great listening out of the hybrid tube amps like the KGST and the 007t. :)

Feb 16, 2024 at 8:58 PM Post #1,868 of 1,903
few headphones have imploded in terms of peoples viewpoints as the CRBN has

Feb 16, 2024 at 9:15 PM Post #1,869 of 1,903
Perhaps because it reached out to folks who were otherwise alien to e-stats?

Feb 16, 2024 at 9:19 PM Post #1,870 of 1,903
no it seemed to be the so called "farting" issue that turned people off to the HP

Feb 16, 2024 at 9:21 PM Post #1,871 of 1,903
Exactly what I mean. I don’t think it is such a big issue in the Stax threads. Because folks are used to it. :)

Feb 17, 2024 at 1:00 AM Post #1,872 of 1,903
no it seemed to be the so called "farting" issue that turned people off to the HP

Well if anyone wants to live a less gaseous life without the CRBN I am open to a trade with my 007.

Feb 17, 2024 at 6:48 PM Post #1,873 of 1,903

IMG_3211.jpeg

I miss listening to my CRBN. My CFA3 is still on repair, so I don’t have an amp to be paired with my Mjolnir SRD-7. It’s a headphone that will stay in my collection for sure, the sound is just incredible on my system and Roon’s CRBN preset does an excellent job at improving the overall sound signature.

Feb 17, 2024 at 6:50 PM Post #1,874 of 1,903
The Corina deserves more attention too, IMO. It is an electrostatic Stealth (not Expanse), except open. It has a really enjoyable midrange and great clarity. Like with the CRBN, some folks will we disappointed that it does not have more of a typical electrostatic sound. I really like it. Especially with a little eq boost in the bass.

Feb 17, 2024 at 6:56 PM Post #1,875 of 1,903
The Corina deserves more attention too, IMO. It is an electrostatic Stealth (not Expanse), except open. It has a really enjoyable midrange and great clarity. Like with the CRBN, some folks will we disappointed that it does not have more of a typical electrostatic sound. I really like it. Especially with a little eq boost in the bass.
Absolutely agree. I like the CRBN, but prefer the Corina.

Excluding the Sennheiser HE1 those two would also rank #1 and #2 on my estat preference list

Users who are viewing this thread

Back