Audeze closed-back prototypes! Yeah, this is one of the headphones at the top of my wish list.
Nov 15, 2013 at 1:13 AM Post #781 of 820
Can do, I'll let you know.

Nov 15, 2013 at 4:26 AM Post #782 of 820
If you need isolation, the XCs are the best (fully) closed cans out there right now. If you don't, then there are more appealing options (like the X).

Good to hear that the XC provides Good isolation because i am looking for à "non Leaking" to replace my TH900 when i need isolation.

But... I believe that à SigPRO or AlphaDOG Will provide even better isolation ? Right ?

Nov 15, 2013 at 6:42 AM Post #783 of 820
The Signature Pro and DJ leak bugger all, they seal rather well from my tests with them. One of the most impressive aspects about them.

Nov 16, 2013 at 1:11 AM Post #784 of 820
Curious to know if you've listened to the XCs using the headphone out of the OPPO BDP105, and what you thought of it? I have some other amps for headphone use, but, just curious since I am using the 105 as source.

Thanks!

They sound very nice together, the amp section in the 105 does a wonderful job with the XCs. It's maybe a little sweet/warm, yet super clean. They're a good combo, IMO.

Nov 16, 2013 at 1:13 AM Post #785 of 820
Good to hear that the XC provides Good isolation because i am looking for à "non Leaking" to replace my TH900 when i need isolation.

But... I believe that à SigPRO or AlphaDOG Will provide even better isolation ? Right ?

They isolate much better than TH-900s, I consider the Fostex to be more like open cans, really. Still love them to death, though.

Nov 16, 2013 at 3:39 AM Post #786 of 820
They isolate much better than TH-900s, I consider the Fostex to be more like open cans, really. Still love them to death, though.

when you say "They isolate much better than TH-900s", do you refer to the LCD-XC or the SigPRO / Alpha ?

thanks

Nov 16, 2013 at 7:51 AM Post #787 of 820
Oppo plus XC sounds like one of several potential combos for me then. Thanks!

You say you still 'love the TH900s to death'. Haven't heard that headphone, but will demo the XC soon. You did mention that you now think the Audeze is the 'best' closed back headphone. For listening to rock, blues, acoustic, some jazz but no classical.......does that assessment still stand?

thanks!

Nov 16, 2013 at 2:17 PM Post #788 of 820
when you say "They isolate much better than TH-900s", do you refer to the LCD-XC or the SigPRO / Alpha ?

thanks

Was talking about the XCs.

Nov 17, 2013 at 2:17 PM Post #789 of 820
In best to worse isolation it's
Alpha Dog > XC > TH900

Nov 17, 2013 at 2:50 PM Post #790 of 820
Nov 19, 2013 at 11:54 PM Post #793 of 820
It's more expensive, so yes. :wink:

Have you heard other planars?  Audezes specifically?  I'm 99% sure it's going to be objectively better than the Sig Pro, but whether or not you think it's better than the T5p is a matter of whether or not you like the Audeze sound more than the Beyer sound.  I'm about 50% sure it's better.

This is strictly based on my opinion, formed by reading the forums and using some common sense.  I haven't heard any of these.  I did have a T1, and I did have an LCD-3, and I think, comfort aside, the LCD-3 was better. 

Nov 20, 2013 at 4:53 AM Post #795 of 820
In the world of Head-Fi, or any-Fi, there is usually a big gap: between the impatience of members to get something NOW, and the more-often-than-not long waiting periods to get that something from the manufacturer... When I ordered my LCD-XC, I had already settled for the long haul, again.

One nice thing about SoCal is this: come home from work late one evening and find a Fedex shipping from Audeze, then the next day hold your shiny new toy in hand, or even better:
darthsmile.gif

And for good measure, here's the most succinct unboxing around here:

And that's all folks: a couple of pamphlets, some pretty cool stickers, in an envelope, a bag with cables and wood care oil, and the headphones (with a nifty spacer, unlike the one I had to make for my LCD-3) No frequency chart though, for expedience probably and also probably generally to avoid throwing more fuel on some potential fires ^_^;;

I bought them sight unseen (or rather sound unheard) because I always told myself if Audeze EVER releases a closed headphone...

After a recent absence from my Head-Fi gear, and coming back to it, there still is no contest for me with all the gear I've heard: nothing I love more than my (wide-open) LCD-3 fed by my WA-22 with the occasional variation of tube flavoring (fed in turn by my M-DAC, balanced of course) I guess for open headphones there might be some experimentation left (though I doubt I'd much like the brightness of the HD800, and Stax' 009 (and the Abyss) are priced beyond good and evil for my finances...)

For closed headphones, I've loved the tone of my slightly modded AT-W3000ANVs, and eventually the Fostex TH900 took over as my favourite, after a somewhat cool start. But now, after even just a brief listen, I can say already that for me it's pretty much a done deal: the LCD-XC is it, it's closed & still has the Audeze sound! Audio bliss.

Yes, it does have a different signature than the LCD-3, but it's still all there, including the bass (on the same WA-22 setup I listened to just last night) It is definitely brighter, but still keeps sibilant records in check as well as can be expected, and more importantly it's pretty even throughout, without a weird spike like the T1, or the Ed8 to a lesser extent, or the u-shaped increase of the TH900 (which is admittedly still well-managed) It is also well within tube-adjustability.

As far as comfort goes: it's Audeze, either it feels comfortable to you or it doesn't, I've always been fine, maybe for not being of scrawny neckage  -_-;;. Though one issue I had with the LCD-3 pads was the rather pronounced suction effect, which was so uncomfortable to me that I added a tiny anti-suction/pressure-equalization mod to it. The texture of the new pads seems to be very slightly rougher, so interestingly enough I have not experienced the same issue yet.

UPDATE: Isolation: very good indeed, better than most closed cans I have, except maybe the HP100 or the Ed8.

These are first impressions of course, and IMHO always applies. I'll certainly spend some quality time with these, and to that: Yay! (even in light of my handle...)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back