ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF
May 12, 2024 at 6:33 AM Post #9,721 of 9,748
May 12, 2024 at 2:17 PM Post #9,722 of 9,748
IMG_8038.jpeg
[ZMF Eikon (Camphor)]

May 12, 2024 at 5:06 PM Post #9,723 of 9,748
Is the Atticus supposed to be like a closed version of the Aeolus? I'm very tempted on one I'm seeing on CAM now.

May 12, 2024 at 6:09 PM Post #9,724 of 9,748
Is the Atticus supposed to be like a closed version of the Aeolus? I'm very tempted on one I'm seeing on CAM now.
They share the same driver and have a very similar tuning. There's differences for sure, but same base profile. Warm, lush, thick, smooth. Pad rolling will of course alter that. I found they sounded so similar I only needed one.

May 12, 2024 at 6:14 PM Post #9,725 of 9,748
They share the same driver and have a very similar tuning. There's differences for sure, but same base profile. Warm, lush, thick, smooth. Pad rolling will of course alter that. I found they sounded so similar I only needed one.

Hmm okay. I sold my Aeolus a while back. My only ZMF at the moment is the Bokeh. But I also have the Aeon 2 Noire and Sennheiser HD600 and HD6XX. I don't exactly need this many headphones but I know others have more than me. I guess I'm just curious about the Atticus at what seems to be a good price.

https://www.canuckaudiomart.com/det...cus-ltd-cocobolo-wood-1-of-30-mint-condition/

May 12, 2024 at 6:18 PM Post #9,726 of 9,748
Hmm okay. I sold my Aeolus a while back. My only ZMF at the moment is the Bokeh. But I also have the Aeon 2 Noire and Sennheiser HD600 and HD6XX. I don't exactly need this many headphones but I know others have more than me. I guess I'm just curious about the Atticus at what seems to be a good price.

https://www.canuckaudiomart.com/det...cus-ltd-cocobolo-wood-1-of-30-mint-condition/
I would say if you're missing the Aeolus bad the Atticus would be an excellent replacement with a slightly thicker midrange. It's going to be softer and smoother than the Bokeh, with more forward mids and much less forward treble. To me the Bokeh sounds like an maturing and evolution of the Atticus. I kept both but listen to my Bokeh way more.

May 12, 2024 at 6:22 PM Post #9,727 of 9,748
I would say if you're missing the Aeolus bad the Atticus would be an excellent replacement with a slightly thicker midrange. It's going to be softer and smoother than the Bokeh, with more forward mids and much less forward treble. To me the Bokeh sounds like an maturing and evolution of the Atticus. I kept both but listen to my Bokeh way more.

Hmm interesting take. I don't want too much "thickness" in the sound as it seems like it could lose some detail. I'm listening to my Bokeh right now on my Schiit Midgard via XLR. Certainly a great headphone. Hate to base a decision on looks but those Atticus look amazing in that colour and wood. Given the thicker midrange and softer/smoother sound would the Atticus be too much on a tube amp such as my Feliks Echo Mk2?

May 12, 2024 at 6:31 PM Post #9,728 of 9,748
Hmm interesting take. I don't want too much "thickness" in the sound as it seems like it could lose some detail. I'm listening to my Bokeh right now on my Schiit Midgard via XLR. Certainly a great headphone. Hate to base a decision on looks but those Atticus look amazing in that colour and wood. Given the thicker midrange and softer/smoother sound would the Atticus be too much on a tube amp such as my Feliks Echo Mk2?
Actually quite the opposite. The Atticus/Aeolus driver thrives on tubes, moreso than most ZMFs. The Bokeh is pretty decent on the Midgard, but the Atticus will sound very overdampened and dull. Move it to amps like the Echo 2 and it will sound much much better. I love the Atticus, I can't bring myself to sell it, so it's a keeper for me for sure. If the price is good and it's calling you like it seems to be, I'd take a chance and give it a try. Worst case just sell it.

May 12, 2024 at 7:23 PM Post #9,729 of 9,748
Actually quite the opposite. The Atticus/Aeolus driver thrives on tubes, moreso than most ZMFs. The Bokeh is pretty decent on the Midgard, but the Atticus will sound very overdampened and dull. Move it to amps like the Echo 2 and it will sound much much better. I love the Atticus, I can't bring myself to sell it, so it's a keeper for me for sure. If the price is good and it's calling you like it seems to be, I'd take a chance and give it a try. Worst case just sell it.

Yes I remember my Aeolus sounding very good on my Echo Mk2. The Bokeh also sounds very good on my Echo Mk2 as well as my Singzer SA-1 amp. Perhaps I’ll go for the Atticus. I would really like another open back though.

May 12, 2024 at 7:28 PM Post #9,730 of 9,748
May 12, 2024 at 9:10 PM Post #9,731 of 9,748
Now it is Atticus' (LTD Bocote) turn:
IMG_8039.jpeg
• To @MacMan31, Atticus is fundamentally a closed-backed version of Aeolus. The soundscape is spacious, bass / midbass is warm, the midrange is deadly delightful & dimensional, the treble is airy & extended.
• The last trait may not be immediately apparent due to the lower register warmth. Worry not!
• As for whether Atticus is more suited to particular music genres .... ask yourself if Atticus' sound profile is what you seek. Suitability may actually be a consideration on a recording-by-recording basis -- not on a genre basis.
• EDIT: to elaborate on a cogent point by @erics75, Atticus / Aeolus thrive on higher output impedance tube h/p/a such as Echo MkII -- as do all ZMF dynamic-driver headphones.

Last edited:
May 12, 2024 at 11:22 PM Post #9,732 of 9,748
Yes I remember my Aeolus sounding very good on my Echo Mk2. The Bokeh also sounds very good on my Echo Mk2 as well as my Singzer SA-1 amp. Perhaps I’ll go for the Atticus. I would really like another open back though.
.... psst .... with a nice OTC or OTL tube headphone amplifier (of higher output impedance), Atticus scarcely sounds like a closed-back. Ambience, reverberation, space retrieval & rendition are impeccable.

May 13, 2024 at 12:17 AM Post #9,733 of 9,748
Now it is Atticus' (LTD Bocote) turn:IMG_8039.jpeg • To @MacMan31, Atticus is fundamentally a closed-backed version of Aeolus. The soundscape is spacious, bass / midbass is warm, the midrange is deadly delightful & dimensional, the treble is airy & extended.
• The last trait may not be immediately apparent due to the lower register warmth. Worry not!
• As for whether Atticus is more suited to particular music genres .... ask yourself if Atticus' sound profile is what you seek. Suitability may actually be a consideration on a recording-by-recording basis -- not on a genre basis.
• EDIT: to elaborate on a cogent point by @erics75, Atticus / Aeolus thrive on higher output impedance tube h/p/a such as Echo MkII -- as do all ZMF dynamic-driver headphones.
.... psst .... with a nice OTC or OTL tube headphone amplifier (of higher output impedance), Atticus scarcely sounds like a closed-back. Ambience, reverberation, space retrieval & rendition are impeccable.

Thanks for these replies. I'm going to inquire about those Atticus. I still want to get another open back though. Currently my only open back is my HD600.

May 13, 2024 at 9:46 PM Post #9,734 of 9,748
If I get the Atticus I'm looking to get and at some point need to replace the pads which is the default and/or preferred pads on these?

May 13, 2024 at 9:53 PM Post #9,735 of 9,748
If I get the Atticus I'm looking to get and at some point need to replace the pads which is the default and/or preferred pads on these?
For Atticus, the 'stock' pads are Ori.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back