ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF
Feb 23, 2022 at 1:00 PM Post #8,821 of 9,716
i just bought a pair of ltd atticus with fancy wood ,i also have aeolus and i find them less fatiguing.
maybe i don't like the ori pads very much,too much space between my ears and the drivers perhaps?. i owned a pair of atticus years ago and i remember them more organic and with sweet mids.
which pads could i choose in order to get that sound?
thx
I have a barnyard cherry (softer wood) and with the ori leather i'd describe them as organic with sweet mids. I wonder if the harder woods have noticeably faster/harder transients which can cause fatigue? I found going ori suede softens everything a touch, but I miss the thunderous midbass punch of the leather. The Eikon leather sound brighter to me, causing some fatigue. Is the unit you got broken in? The TPE driver in the Atticus/Aeolus does need time to mellow out.

Feb 24, 2022 at 8:02 PM Post #8,822 of 9,716
I have a barnyard cherry (softer wood) and with the ori leather i'd describe them as organic with sweet mids. I wonder if the harder woods have noticeably faster/harder transients which can cause fatigue? I found going ori suede softens everything a touch, but I miss the thunderous midbass punch of the leather. The Eikon leather sound brighter to me, causing some fatigue. Is the unit you got broken in? The TPE driver in the Atticus/Aeolus does need time to mellow out.
yes they are burned in.
i ordered universe pads and an eikon. i am trying using my integrated with dac as a preamp to my echo2. but they are still too hard striking for me.
i think i will still stick with my aeolus. and sell the atticus. hoping i will like eikon best. in the summer i need a closed hp.

thanks

Mar 10, 2022 at 10:29 AM Post #8,823 of 9,716
This thread has been quiet for a while so how bout some love. . . I for one have been enjoying my Atticus so much this past week, that haven't even touched my VC. There is just something very special about the Pendant SE and Atticus pairing that just keeps me engaged like no other. I recently rolled in a different driver tube (12BH7) and it's taken the Pendant SE and Atticus pairing to a level I did not know either was capable of. This pairing is so perfect, it's as if the amp and headphones were made for each other. . . :o2smile:

20220309_172437.jpg

+

20211029_134157.jpg

=

Pure Bliss.

Mar 10, 2022 at 10:58 AM Post #8,824 of 9,716
This thread has been quiet for a while so how bout some love. . . I for one have been enjoying my Atticus so much this past week, that haven't even touched my VC. There is just something very special about the Pendant SE and Atticus pairing that just keeps me engaged like no other. I recently rolled in a different driver tube (12BH7) and it's taken the Pendant SE and Atticus pairing to a level I did not know either was capable of. This pairing is so perfect, it's as if the amp and headphones were made for each other. . . :o2smile:

Pure Bliss.
Man I want that Atticus! Easily the nicest set i've seen. I've been dying to grab a nice cocobolo Atticus, but they're so rare. Not that I don't love my barnyard cherry, but it's a bit bland in comparison. I've been running my Atticus on a Tuba at work for space savings and I gotta say it's a nice combo. Not quite as good as my Kenzie but not far off either, in a much smaller package. I'm not a regular edm listener but lately i've been addicted to Infected Mushroom on the Atticus. That bass slam is so addictive.

When I sold my VC i worried i'd regret it. I agonized over it for weeks, typing out the listing then cancelling it. But i have to admit the Atticus is more than enough to keep me happy, i'm not missing the VC much at all. I stand by my belief there's something very special about the Atticus, it resonates with me like nothing before it.

Mar 10, 2022 at 3:35 PM Post #8,825 of 9,716
20220310_150933.jpg

I got this Atticus Cherry in on Monday and have really been enjoying it. I love the soundstage for a closed back and love its tone. It really has surpassed my expectations so far. It's so easy to listen to for long periods of time.

Though it really sounds great on my Bottlehead Crack, I'm really enjoying it on my Lyr 2. The Lyr really controls the bass while retaining slam. My pair also came with some Eikon suede pads. I have to say I'm enjoying it so much with the Ori lambskin pads I haven't felt the need to try the Eikon suede pads yet.

Mar 12, 2022 at 5:01 AM Post #8,826 of 9,716
20220310_150933.jpg
I got this Atticus Cherry in on Monday and have really been enjoying it. I love the soundstage for a closed back and love its tone. It really has surpassed my expectations so far. It's so easy to listen to for long periods of time.

Though it really sounds great on my Bottlehead Crack, I'm really enjoying it on my Lyr 2. The Lyr really controls the bass while retaining slam. My pair also came with some Eikon suede pads. I have to say I'm enjoying it so much with the Ori lambskin pads I haven't felt the need to try the Eikon suede pads yet.
That's an interesting rod assembly on your Atticus. Is that a 3rd party set?

I'd agree with all of the recent comments on the low-end capabilities of the Atticus - the bass texture and slam is rather impressive. For lack of a better term, the appropriate word I'd use to describe the lows on the Atticus is... addictive. It's certainly fun and engaging. :)

Mar 12, 2022 at 5:32 AM Post #8,827 of 9,716

I'd agree with all of the recent comments on the low-end capabilities of the Atticus - the bass texture and slam is rather impressive. For lack of a better term, the appropriate word I'd use to describe the lows on the Atticus is... addictive. It's certainly fun and engaging. :)
That is the rod used when Atticus first released. Early zmfs had that rod. Actually my Atticus African Padauk and Eikon Blackwood both have the same rod. I'm glad they changed it though because they're a little annoying to adjust.

You can see the same rod on pictures of the Atticus on the first page of this thread.

Mar 12, 2022 at 8:45 AM Post #8,828 of 9,716
Hy. Which one sound better with the Atticus. Idsd signature? Or hugo2?

If anybody test this combination , let me know

Mar 12, 2022 at 1:05 PM Post #8,829 of 9,716

Definitely so. Addictive is a great way to describe the Atticus. That and fun! As the others have alluded the rods are the older style even though this particular Atticus is only about 1.5 years old according to the original owner. I'll have to go back and check the owners card to confirm. Anyways I definitely prefer the newer style rods as they are easier to adjust. I like the aesthetics of the old rods however.

Mar 12, 2022 at 9:50 PM Post #8,831 of 9,716
That's the original rod assembly ZMF used on Eikon & Atticus, then the only 2 dynamics ZMF made. I had an Eikon with the exact same rods.

Some of us prefer those original rods w/out the detente grooves that prevent you from micro-adjusting length for best fit.

Mar 13, 2022 at 4:23 AM Post #8,832 of 9,716
@omega1990 @Dawgfish @Pharmaboy

Thanks for the info, my friends! My first contact with ZMF was through the Vérité Closed, and it came with the updated rod assembly; thus, I've never known of the original design. TIL. :)

The old rod looks sleek and clean; however, my preference for the current design probably stems from my utter familiarity with them.

Mar 17, 2022 at 11:42 AM Post #8,833 of 9,716
Does anyone know if the Ori or the Atticus has better subbass? I ask because I remember almost taking my head off when I got the Atticus because it's midbass punch hit so hard, to the point where it was encroaching on the mids. Changing pads changed the sound too much hence why I sold them.

Mar 17, 2022 at 11:59 AM Post #8,834 of 9,716
Does anyone know if the Ori or the Atticus has better subbass? I ask because I remember almost taking my head off when I got the Atticus because it's midbass punch hit so hard, to the point where it was encroaching on the mids. Changing pads changed the sound too much hence why I sold them.
The Ori has better subbass. The middbass bleed is not really an issue with a proper amp pairing with Atticus by the way, and I don't have that issue at all using the Pendant. I really feel using a more neutral sounding higher end tube amp is the only way to listen with the Atticus. The Ori might just best the Atticus in the subbass, but that is the only area where they are better in my opinion, and why I still own an Atticus and sold the Ori. The Ori can also hit hard in the middbass as well, and can take your head off and it can feel like someone literally smacking you in the side of the head. One can do some serious damage to your hearing with bass like that, as it can really hit that hard. Of course the Ori need to be properly amped as well to get that kind of bass. I actually feared I would damage my hearing while listening with the Ori back in the day, when I had them hooked up to a Liquid Platinum w/ Raytheon 7730 Square Getters. Talk about some bass!

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2022 at 12:08 PM Post #8,835 of 9,716
The Ori has better subbass. The middbass bleed is not really an issue with a properly amped Atticus by the way, and I don't have that issue at all using the Pendant. I really feel tubes is the only way to listen with the Atticus. The Ori might just best the Atticus in the subbass, but that is the only area where they are better in my opinion, and why I still own an Atticus and sold the Ori. The Ori can hit so hard, they can take your head off and it feels like someone literally smacking you in the side of the head. One can do some serious damage to your hearing with bass like that, as it can really hit that hard. Of course the Ori need to be properly amped as well to get that kind of bass. I actually feared I would damage my hearing while listening with the Ori back in the day, when I had them hooked up to a Liquid Platinum. Talk about some bass!
Haha that sounds like fun actually. I’ll pair those up with those Raytheon 5814s we talked about. Found a small supply of them (non matching unfortunately) but the LP isn’t too picky about that.

I don’t recall what I had with the Atticus but I believe it was a Dragon Inspire Amp. Don’t recall if it was an OTL. I do know it didn’t have a lot of gain so that could explain the mid bass bleed. The other thing is the Ori is a little easier on my head and they don’t look as goofy. Those Ori pads are huge on the Atticus so didnt really like that too much. The Aeolus nailed the right size pads for the entire lineup imo.

I did like the soundstage on the Atticus it had a very nice black background. Which can has the bigger soundstage? The Ori or Atticus?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back