ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF
Aug 21, 2021 at 4:12 PM Post #8,461 of 9,714
I tried to search cause I could swear I've asked this before, but apparently not: how's the isolation on the Atticus? Specifically interested in how much it blocks outside noise, my music leaking isn't an issue. I always have such fun when I grab the Aeolus that at this point I think I just want more of that, essentially, from my closed-back cans too. But the main point of a closed-back pair for me is blocking outside noise, whenever there's a worksite outside or the GF is playing or watching something or.. whatever.

But I know the Atticus is technically semi-open since it has those vents, so... Would it work for me? For reference, something like the Meze 99 Classics have a good enough isolation for me, but it can't really be much worse to be worthwhile at the Atticus' price point.
I had/sold an Atticus; also had/sold an Eikon. Had the Eikon far longer. They both share identical earcup designs.

Those are easily the 2 most isolating headphones I ever had on. Don't look at those vents and think you'll hear much that's happening outside the earcups--because you won't.

I can't speak to sound leakage from either of these headphones, since I always listened to them alone/not in presence of others. But I remember burning each on in. All it really took to stop any noise from escaping was to arrange the earpads facing each other and touching.

Aug 21, 2021 at 4:21 PM Post #8,462 of 9,714
I tried to search cause I could swear I've asked this before, but apparently not: how's the isolation on the Atticus? Specifically interested in how much it blocks outside noise, my music leaking isn't an issue. I always have such fun when I grab the Aeolus that at this point I think I just want more of that, essentially, from my closed-back cans too. But the main point of a closed-back pair for me is blocking outside noise, whenever there's a worksite outside or the GF is playing or watching something or.. whatever.

But I know the Atticus is technically semi-open since it has those vents, so... Would it work for me? For reference, something like the Meze 99 Classics have a good enough isolation for me, but it can't really be much worse to be worthwhile at the Atticus' price point.
FWIW I thought that when I had the Meze on loan, it didn't isolate very well at all. I had the Eikon, which is the Atticus' fraternal twin and I thought the isolation was excellent. I'm sure someone with an Atticus will be more definitive for you.

Aug 21, 2021 at 4:22 PM Post #8,463 of 9,714
FWIW I thought that when I had the Meze on loan, it didn't isolate very well at all. I had the Eikon, which is the Atticus' fraternal twin and I thought the isolation was excellent. I'm sure someone with an Atticus will be more definitive for you.
Like @Pharmaboy above lol...I hate when you respond & don't realize there's another page.

Aug 21, 2021 at 8:34 PM Post #8,465 of 9,714
Haha, yeah

Thanks you two, leaning hard towards going with the Atticus, then
Agree with them, listening to my Eikons now with Le Mans in the back ground... i can crank the volume on teh speakers and cant hear a thing. you should be happy i would think. any volume on the Eikons and cant hear a thing, with no volume/pause, i can hear the TV at the modest volume, so of course it isnt IEM noise cancelling, if that helps.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2021 at 9:18 PM Post #8,466 of 9,714
Atticus isolation is great and it doesn't leak much at all. Great headphone to use among other people.

Aug 21, 2021 at 9:28 PM Post #8,468 of 9,714
I recently bought a second hand Atticus and I gotta say I really like this headphone, the bass is exactly what I was looking for. Definitely a great companion to my HD800s.

I got the exact same combination and indeed great duo! Just picked up an elekit tu8600 for them (my first tube device). Will report back.

But Atticus is the supreme king of darkness! :D

Aug 24, 2021 at 7:32 AM Post #8,469 of 9,714
I had/sold an Atticus; also had/sold an Eikon. Had the Eikon far longer. They both share identical earcup designs.

Those are easily the 2 most isolating headphones I ever had on. Don't look at those vents and think you'll hear much that's happening outside the earcups--because you won't.

If you have a closed back Focal headphone, how good is the isolation of the Atticus / Eikon to it?

Aug 24, 2021 at 12:10 PM Post #8,470 of 9,714
If you have a closed back Focal headphone, how good is the isolation of the Atticus / Eikon to it?

I haven't really liked the sound of any Focal HP I've tried & thus didn't have them on my head for long (the Elear excepted--listened at some length IMS). So maybe I'm the wrong person to answer.

The closed back Focals certainly look as though they'd be the ultimate isolating HP, yet oddly enough, any ZMF closed back is more isolating IMO. The reason is that Focal earpads are relatively hard (the inner foam is not giving) and so don't conform to one's face very well. That less than ideal fit against one's face means a bit more outside sound can come in. The other possible factor here is earpads of the Focals I've tried were wrapped in what looks like a smooth-surfaced suede--it's a non-leather material w/pores that I suppose could also let a bit of sound in.

The stock pads of the closed back ZMFs I've had or still have use a somewhat softer (but still springy) inner foam and are made of non-perforated leather. These pads conform ideally to one's face, while still feeling very comfortable--result being almost no intrusion of outside sound.

The ZMF Ori, Atticus, Eikon, and Verite Closed are all up there with the most isolating headphones I've heard.

Aug 24, 2021 at 1:55 PM Post #8,471 of 9,714
I haven't really liked the sound of any Focal HP I've tried & thus didn't have them on my head for long (the Elear excepted--listened at some length IMS). So maybe I'm the wrong person to answer.

The closed back Focals certainly look as though they'd be the ultimate isolating HP, yet oddly enough, any ZMF closed back is more isolating IMO. The reason is that Focal earpads are relatively hard (the inner foam is not giving) and so don't conform to one's face very well. That less than ideal fit against one's face means a bit more outside sound can come in. The other possible factor here is earpads of the Focals I've tried were wrapped in what looks like a smooth-surfaced suede--it's a non-leather material w/pores that I suppose could also let a bit of sound in.

The stock pads of the closed back ZMFs I've had or still have use a somewhat softer (but still springy) inner foam and are made of non-perforated leather. These pads conform ideally to one's face, while still feeling very comfortable--result being almost no intrusion of outside sound.

The ZMF Ori, Atticus, Eikon, and Verite Closed are all up there with the most isolating headphones I've heard.
To add, the Ori and Eikon pads specifically are raised on one side for a better fit behind the ear... something a lot of over the ear pads do not have. Your input on softness vs. hardness and perforated vs. not would definitely change things as well.

I am in your camp re Focal, I just don't like them.

Aug 24, 2021 at 3:08 PM Post #8,472 of 9,714

I have both the Atticus (w/ lambskin & suede Ori pads) and the Focal Stellia on hand right now. These are my impressions regarding isolation and leakage.

In terms of isolation (from outside noises):

Atticus (with lambskin Ori pads) = Stellia (comparable)
Atticus (with suede Ori pads) < Stellia

With lambskin Ori pads, I find the Atticus to be on par with the Stellia, which would be "good passive isolation" (not excellent, but 'good'). With the suede Ori pads, the Atticus almost sounded "semi-open" to my ears. I could hear a fair amount of outside noise, even with a decent clamp (good seal).

In terms of sound leakage:

Atticus (regardless of pads) = Stellia (comparable)

In my experience, both headphones do a pretty good job of keeping sound in. I don't listen to music very loud, admittedly, but I have to move my ear pretty close to the ports to barely make out what is playing. I wouldn't worry about bothering anyone around with either of these headphones.

Aug 26, 2021 at 2:48 AM Post #8,473 of 9,714
Thanks to covid I had to change jobs and took a pretty good pay cut, which led me to the decision to consolidate my lineup and pad my savings in case things go south again, workwise. That means of my 5 ZMFs, 3 will go, as well as my Pendant SE. So what does this have to do with the Atticus/Eikon? After a good two weeks of obsessive comparing and contrasting, I've settled on my two favorites...ATTICUS #1 Auteur #2. I sometimes forget how dam fun and engaging the Atticus is. But when putting it up against all the other sets in a battle royale, it became clear to me rather quickly who was coming out on top. I'll be sad to see some of my beloved ZMFs go, but i'm still blessed to be able to keep 2 and my Ovation amp, so i'm definitely still in ok shape. I have to admit, it was pretty eye opening to hear the Atticus going toe to toe with the VC. I knew the Atty couldn't match the VC in pure technical ability, but what surprised me was how close it comes. Another surprise was how well the VC did. I thought for sure the Eikon would edge it out for musicality and enjoyment, but nope! VC actually really surprised me with it's overall excellence. I still like the Atty more though hahaha.

Aug 26, 2021 at 7:48 AM Post #8,474 of 9,714
Thanks to covid I had to change jobs and took a pretty good pay cut, which led me to the decision to consolidate my lineup and pad my savings in case things go south again, workwise. That means of my 5 ZMFs, 3 will go, as well as my Pendant SE. So what does this have to do with the Atticus/Eikon? After a good two weeks of obsessive comparing and contrasting, I've settled on my two favorites...ATTICUS #1 Auteur #2. I sometimes forget how dam fun and engaging the Atticus is. But when putting it up against all the other sets in a battle royale, it became clear to me rather quickly who was coming out on top. I'll be sad to see some of my beloved ZMFs go, but i'm still blessed to be able to keep 2 and my Ovation amp, so i'm definitely still in ok shape. I have to admit, it was pretty eye opening to hear the Atticus going toe to toe with the VC. I knew the Atty couldn't match the VC in pure technical ability, but what surprised me was how close it comes. Another surprise was how well the VC did. I thought for sure the Eikon would edge it out for musicality and enjoyment, but nope! VC actually really surprised me with it's overall excellence. I still like the Atty more though hahaha.
You are keeping some good stuff bro! My Atticus and VC have been battling it out for a while now, and there is no clear winner for me. The funny thing is sometimes while I am listening with my Atticus, I think I am listening with my VC, as they really are close on some songs. Also, with the tubes I have in my amps, both headphones are as musical as it gets and have some serious PRAT, just with different stage presentations. The VC does do some things better, but I love both headphones equally. As a basshead they both satisfy, and with the Atty's midbass and the VC's subbass I get the best of both worlds.

Aug 26, 2021 at 11:02 AM Post #8,475 of 9,714
You are keeping some good stuff bro! My Atticus and VC have been battling it out for a while now, and there is no clear winner for me. The funny thing is sometimes while I am listening with my Atticus, I think I am listening with my VC, as they really are close on some songs. Also, with the tubes I have in my amps, both headphones are as musical as it gets and have some serious PRAT, just with different stage presentations. The VC does do some things better, but I love both headphones equally. As a basshead they both satisfy, and with the Atty's midbass and the VC's subbass I get the best of both worlds.
That was eye opening for me for sure, to realize I thought I had the VC on and it was the Atticus. Oddly what really separates the Atticus from the VC is the bad quality recordings. The VC is brutally honest in it's playback, revealing all the flaws within the recording. The Atticus on the other hand has the ability to smooth over some of the flaws enough to let the song still be enjoyable. I do wish I could keep my VC. I keep playing scenarios in my head on how to keep it, but financially nothing works out other than instead of keeping 2 of the lower units, I only keep the VC. But when i start to lean that way i listen to the Atticus/Auteur and realize I enjoy that combo more for it's variety and differing approaches.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back