ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF
Dec 9, 2020 at 6:29 PM Post #7,966 of 9,714
I was listening to Amelie Lens - Higher (Fjaak remix).. on HD800S it sounded surprisingly punchy, intense, very well detailed. I was impressed. Then it was Atty time.

WTFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

Atticus bass was like a nuclear bomb going off every second. I legit felt a bit scared for a moment that something was going to blow up. It was so addictive and yet the midrange and treble was there just a bit smokey and intense. Got totally lost in the hardcore techno beat. Just incredible. I want to know of another headphone that can do bass in this intense powerful way! I bet there aren't a ton.

ZMF Ori.

Dec 10, 2020 at 6:20 AM Post #7,968 of 9,714
Yep! I pulled out my Ori yesterday after reading this, and the Ori can definitely hang with the Atticus in the bass department. :wink: The Ori combines the middbass slam of the Atticus, as well as the insane subbass of the Eikon, and is my ultimate audiophile basshead set.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2020 at 1:27 PM Post #7,969 of 9,714
Yep! I pulled out my Ori yesterday after reading this, and the Ori can definitely hang with the Atticus in the bass department. :wink: The Ori combines the middbass slam of the Atticus, as well as the insane subbass of the Eikon, and is my ultimate audiophile basshead set.
Really? I had the Atticus with the Ori pads and wouldn't put it high on the bass list at all. What kind of music do you listen to and what were you comparing it to?

Dec 10, 2020 at 2:25 PM Post #7,970 of 9,714
Really? I had the Atticus with the Ori pads and wouldn't put it high on the bass list at all. What kind of music do you listen to and what were you comparing it to?

Huh? what headphone are you comparing it to? Atticus is known to be a mid bass monster. From those I talked to its right up there with th900.

I have heard D8000, Abyss OG.

Dec 10, 2020 at 2:42 PM Post #7,971 of 9,714
Huh? what headphone are you comparing it to? Atticus is known to be a mid bass monster. From those I talked to its right up there with th900.

I have heard D8000, Abyss OG.
So I own the TH600, LCD3, HE500 and a few other bassy headphones. The Atticus has more midbass than the TH600 but nowhere near the subbass and slam. I also own the Eikon and find it bass neutral more than bassy; I thinks it's important to ask what music your listening to because a song like Engenho de Rainha by Sango shows the subbass extension quite well.

The person I bought my Atticus from also didn't find it that bass heavy or aired for electronic music. Obviously YMMV but that's why I'm curious about the actual comparison and music used.

Dec 10, 2020 at 2:59 PM Post #7,972 of 9,714
I think it depends what amp you use, but my Atticus hits hard on my modded Liquid Platinum with 7730 Square Getter tubes. I listen to Electronica 90% of the time and enjoy it quite a bit with my Atticus, but my Ori are my favorite Electronica pair.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2020 at 3:46 PM Post #7,973 of 9,714
So I own the TH600, LCD3, HE500 and a few other bassy headphones. The Atticus has more midbass than the TH600 but nowhere near the subbass and slam. I also own the Eikon and find it bass neutral more than bassy; I thinks it's important to ask what music your listening to because a song like Engenho de Rainha by Sango shows the subbass extension quite well.

The person I bought my Atticus from also didn't find it that bass heavy or aired for electronic music. Obviously YMMV but that's why I'm curious about the actual comparison and music used.

I think this is a definition game. If you want to argue its not 'sub-bass heavy' then I think you would have a case. But when you say 'bass' I am assuming you are talking about all bass frequency from about 200 hz down. And that is simply wrong. Atticus has a rise from about 150 down to 50 that is quite prominent and in this range Atticus kicks like a mule. Again I spoke to many th900 owners who found atticus has similar slam and visceral impact. To me it hit harder than d8000 and not far off the abyss in terms of mid bass impact. When someone talks about slam they are usually talking about mid bass and when they walk about rumble they are usually talking about sub bass. So yes it won't rumble like a planar or even eikon but it will slam in the mid bass very aggressively. I stated the track I was listening to in my original post.

Dec 10, 2020 at 4:10 PM Post #7,974 of 9,714
I think this is a definition game. If you want to argue its not 'sub-bass heavy' then I think you would have a case. But when you say 'bass' I am assuming you are talking about all bass frequency from about 200 hz down. And that is simply wrong. Atticus has a rise from about 150 down to 50 that is quite prominent and in this range Atticus kicks like a mule. Again I spoke to many th900 owners who found atticus has similar slam and visceral impact. To me it hit harder than d8000 and not far off the abyss in terms of mid bass impact. When someone talks about slam they are usually talking about mid bass and when they walk about rumble they are usually talking about sub bass. So yes it won't rumble like a planar or even eikon but it will slam in the mid bass very aggressively. I stated the track I was listening to in my original post.

Ok, but even in the midbass (or bass as I think you are calling it) the Atticus and Eikon have less than the LCD3. The Eikon is closer to neutral overall than both the Atticus and LCD3 as well. It being a definition game makes sense but I also think that comparison is half the battle; earlier someone (might have been you, I dont remember) called the Atticus bass a nuclear bomb vs the HD800. To me, that makes sense, but having owned both the TH600 and the Atticus simultaneously I would not put them in the same category at all.
I'd put the Focal clear (which I currently own) as bassier than the Atticus as well.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2020 at 4:11 PM Post #7,975 of 9,714
I think it depends what amp you use, but my Atticus hits hard on my modded Liquid Platinum with 7730 Square Getter tubes. I listen to Electronica 90% of the time and enjoy it quite a bit with my Atticus, but my Ori are my favorite Electronica pair.

That's that preference thing as well. I'm coming to the conclusion that I like waaay more bass than the average person which (likely) skews my perception a lot.
Any track recommendations?

Dec 10, 2020 at 5:08 PM Post #7,976 of 9,714
The Ori combines the middbass slam of the Atticus, as well as the insane subbass of the Eikon, and is my ultimate audiophile basshead set.

I couldn't agree more. The real dynamic driver comparator for the Ori is the Eikon, the bass of which is IMO a mix of resolution, dynamics, and deep reach (sub-bass).

The Ori may go very slightly less deep in sub-bass vs Eikon (it's hard to be sure, despite repeated comparisons). Still, what the Ori does ideally well (and the Eikon can't quite match because it's a dynamic driver) is exhibit those classic planar driver bass qualities of pressure, weight, mass. Ori bass pushes against my ears; I feel (as much as hear) a heaviness in the deep bass. Hard to put this in words--but planar bass pleases me to no end.

The Eikon's bass really is spectacular--dynamic, deep, impactful, with true sub-bass. Eikon bass has a characteristic "bounce" (again, words fail me), launched by the dynamic driver. Eikon bass doesn't feel exactly like planar bass, but it's way up there with the best I've ever heard.

(can't comment on the Atticus, though I'm very familiar w/its open-back version, the Aeolus)

Dec 10, 2020 at 5:53 PM Post #7,977 of 9,714
I couldn't agree more. The real dynamic driver comparator for the Ori is the Eikon, the bass of which is IMO a mix of resolution, dynamics, and deep reach (sub-bass).

The Ori may go very slightly less deep in sub-bass vs Eikon (it's hard to be sure, despite repeated comparisons). Still, what the Ori does ideally well (and the Eikon can't quite match because it's a dynamic driver) is exhibit those classic planar driver bass qualities of pressure, weight, mass. Ori bass pushes against my ears; I feel (as much as hear) a heaviness in the deep bass. Hard to put this in words--but planar bass pleases me to no end.

The Eikon's bass really is spectacular--dynamic, deep, impactful, with true sub-bass. Eikon bass has a characteristic "bounce" (again, words fail me), launched by the dynamic driver. Eikon bass doesn't feel exactly like planar bass, but it's way up there with the best I've ever heard.

(can't comment on the Atticus, though I'm very familiar w/its open-back version, the Aeolus)
The Eikon has wowed me the most with funk and live jazz the most so far. Ive never had a chance to hear the ZMF Ori so I can't compare there.

Your comment about it reminding you of planar bass is interesting in that it doesn't really do bass like my other planars (HE1000, LCD3, HE500, EF 1.1) but I certainly get an organic and textured sound to the bass from the Eikon.

It's uniquely transparent in a way that makes the tones and characteristics of upstream gear really audible; I think the only headphone I've heard over long periods that is more transparent would be my EF 1.1.

Dec 10, 2020 at 11:32 PM Post #7,978 of 9,714
Did you try the suede ori pads before EQ? I too thought the Atticus with the stock lambskin ori pads were a tad dark for metal/rock. Switching to the suede ori pads brought the mids down a few db while giving more air up top. I'm curious how it compares to your EQ settings, seems like a very similar effect. The Atticus is also very amp picky, at least to me. Get it right, it's great. Get it wrong, it's sludgy mud. I had a GLMK2 and thought that was a great amp for it. But why not run it straight from the GS-X mini? The Atticus definitely responds to power, and the GSX with XLR out is a beast on that front. Nice setup! and congrats on the Atticus. after years it's still holding the top spot in my lineup, even with the VC and Eikon next to it.

The VC is a technically superior headphone, but FOR ME, lacks some of the fun factor and engagement the Atticus and Eikon bring. it's fast, resolving, and very well balanced. But i just don't get as into the music with it as i do the others. Don't get me wrong, it's far from boring, and definitely one of the best headphones i've heard. But the Atticus and Eikon are no slouches, and hold their own quite well. personal preference is huge here, many think i'm nuts.
Just wanted to come back to this and thank you for the recommend on the suede Ori pads. They arrived today and got me the sound signature I was looking for without any need for EQ. The Atticus sound wonderful out of my new Pendant, fed by my new Sonnet Morpheus. I think I prefer the Atticus to the VC at the moment...

And for the record, the difference in both the Atticus and VC between being driven by the GS-X mini and the Pendant is quite stunning. With the Pendant, highs really open up and smooth out while retaining excellent detail. Bass is surprisingly authoritative with great punch and quantity, not far at all from the GS-X mini. It reminds me of the GS-X mini -> GLMk2 stack but with higher resolution, a more holographic presentation and something more engaging...maybe "tube magic"?

Dec 11, 2020 at 2:27 AM Post #7,979 of 9,714
Ok, but even in the midbass (or bass as I think you are calling it) the Atticus and Eikon have less than the LCD3. The Eikon is closer to neutral overall than both the Atticus and LCD3 as well. It being a definition game makes sense but I also think that comparison is half the battle; earlier someone (might have been you, I dont remember) called the Atticus bass a nuclear bomb vs the HD800. To me, that makes sense, but having owned both the TH600 and the Atticus simultaneously I would not put them in the same category at all.
I'd put the Focal clear (which I currently own) as bassier than the Atticus as well.

Just to be 'clear' are you saying the clear has more 'mid bass' quantity and impact than the Atticus? That would be surprising to me but I have not heard it so I defer to other people who have to weigh in. The Utopia absolutely has nowhere near the mid bass slam or even sub bass rumble of atticus with suede ori pads and my he9 driving it.

From what I recall of d8k and abyss OG, the atticus was not far off in terms of mid bass impact but was not as present with sub bass rumble.

I invite others who have compared atticus to other headphones to share their thoughts.

Oh and you if you go to the dark domain and read un-named ones review on Atticus he describes th900 like " thunderous earthquake. Atticus bass is punchy and explosive." He considers them both bass heavy but in different bands, th900 focuses lower at 60 hz and atticus higher at 100 hz.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2020 at 4:27 AM Post #7,980 of 9,714
Just to be 'clear' are you saying the clear has more 'mid bass' quantity and impact than the Atticus? That would be surprising to me but I have not heard it so I defer to other people who have to weigh in. The Utopia absolutely has nowhere near the mid bass slam or even sub bass rumble of atticus with suede ori pads and my he9 driving it.

From what I recall of d8k and abyss OG, the atticus was not far off in terms of mid bass impact but was not as present with sub bass rumble.

I invite others who have compared atticus to other headphones to share their thoughts.

Oh and you if you go to the dark domain and read un-named ones review on Atticus he describes th900 like " thunderous earthquake. Atticus bass is punchy and explosive." He considers them both bass heavy but in different bands, th900 focuses lower at 60 hz and atticus higher at 100 hz.
I have no idea what dark domain is but I'm sure that person heard what they heard.

The Clear is noticeably warmer and bassier than the Utopia; when I demoed the two together I noticed it immediately, plus it has been mentioned by a couple reviewers. I have both the Eikon and the Clear right now and the Clears have more midbass, with subbass being hard to judge as the Clears tend to clip with excursion and volume demands. I have the Auteur suede perfs on my Eikons right now as my preferred pad but I should have the Auteur leather perfs once I get back from Christmas to compare to see which is bassier (I suspect the leathers). Even with the stock leather Eikon pads I find the Clears bassier than the Eikons.

I had the Atticus with the leather Ori pads not the suedes, maybe the suedes are bassier but I'm pretty sure Zach always describes suede pads as more neutral and smoothing out midbass humps. Did you compare the Utopia or the D8k on your amp at the same time as the Atticus? I remember the 1266TC as being less dark and a bit flatter across the whole bass region, but I wouldn't confidently compare the two too thoroughly seeing as the systems were different and months apart.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back