ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF
Apr 28, 2020 at 9:23 AM Post #7,681 of 9,748
So, I have had some quality listening sessions with my new to me Atticus, and I have to say that the mids are perfection. I absolutely love this headphone, and it just might be my new number 1. I actually think I like the Atticus more than my Aeolus and Ori, and that is one statement I thought I would never make. There is just this magical euphoric texture and clarity in the mids that immediately sucks me in, and then you have the impact from the midbass and it is pure perfection for my ears. I listen to a lot of acoustic stuff with guitars and banjos, and the Atticus mids are so perfect for this kind of music, that I really can't imagine it sounding any better. The realistic and natural timbre of this headphone is very impressive. Also, they sound incredible with my Bottlehead Crack Speedball, and especially with my latest tube roll. I am running a Bendix 6080WB Slotted Plate, and a Siemens ECC82 Chrome Plate, and this combo is stunning with the Atticus.

Happy Listening my fellow ZMF heads!
I have a BHC on the way (hopefully in the mail this week). I will have to check out this tube combo once I receive it and spend some time with the stock tubes.

I am currently running the LCx+SDAC singled-ended until today. While I have heard The Atticus doesn't really care about SE or Balanced, I do know this Amp is much better balanced. New balanced cable from Periapt has made a difference.

Happy listening!!

Apr 28, 2020 at 9:48 AM Post #7,682 of 9,748
I have a BHC on the way (hopefully in the mail this week). I will have to check out this tube combo once I receive it and spend some time with the stock tubes.

I am currently running the LCx+SDAC singled-ended until today. While I have heard The Atticus doesn't really care about SE or Balanced, I do know this Amp is much better balanced. New balanced cable from Periapt has made a difference.

Happy listening!!
Nice! I have rolled all the top rated tubes in the BHC, so if you want any advice on tubes that go well with the Atticus, hit me up.

Apr 28, 2020 at 11:00 AM Post #7,683 of 9,748
While I have heard The Atticus doesn't really care about SE or Balanced, I do know this Amp is much better balanced
That is the key IMO...balanced isn't necessarily better in and of itself, it depends on the amp & how it was designed. Enjoy!!

Apr 28, 2020 at 1:29 PM Post #7,684 of 9,748
Nice! I have rolled all the top rated tubes in the BHC, so if you want any advice on tubes that go well with the Atticus, hit me up.
I have an Atticus and BHC (w/ Speedball) and would really like to hear about some good tube pairings. I also have an Auteur so if you know of any that really shine would both that would be great.

Apr 29, 2020 at 6:22 AM Post #7,688 of 9,748
LOL! We all have our favorite sound sigs, and the Atticus fits mine to perfection.

If you ever get the chance to hear this headphone with Glenn's Otl with a pair of Bendix 6080 and a Mullard ECC32 driver, please do so.
Since you already have a BHC , if you ever find a deal on a Mullard ECC32...treat yourself. :)

Apr 29, 2020 at 7:03 AM Post #7,689 of 9,748
If you ever get the chance to hear this headphone with Glenn's Otl with a pair of Bendix 6080 and a Mullard ECC32 driver, please do so.
Since you already have a BHC , if you ever find a deal on a Mullard ECC32...treat yourself. :)
Thanks for the tip! I am really thinking about ordering a Glenn, and will keep an eye out for that tube. I have some killer 12au7's and 6SN7, but not any ecc32.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2020 at 8:57 AM Post #7,690 of 9,748
Yikes. Gonna have to save some pennies or do some serious searching for a great deal on those tubes :wink:

I too am working my way onto Glenn's queue for an OTL. Fingers crossed.

Apr 29, 2020 at 3:34 PM Post #7,692 of 9,748
Any recommendation for KT120 or KT150, ECC 82 & EF 800 tubes?

I am sorry I am not all that familiar with those tubes, I am sure there are others here that can help you in regards to those tubes.

May 1, 2020 at 5:57 AM Post #7,693 of 9,748
afraid I'm going to have to let my beloved first amazing headphones go the eikon. But only because it's more sentimental that I've held onto them while theyv'e sat unused in their box for so long. They are the ones that led me onto this magical journey just before I had just about given up. Thanks for all the help, Zach, and your pure and dedicated service. I also appreciate all the invaluable insight I have recieved from the mebers in the zmf threads. So now I'm onto the for sale section and I will be putting them up for an extremely reasonable price if anyone is interested.

May 1, 2020 at 8:53 AM Post #7,694 of 9,748
afraid I'm going to have to let my beloved first amazing headphones go the eikon. But only because it's more sentimental that I've held onto them while theyv'e sat unused in their box for so long. They are the ones that led me onto this magical journey just before I had just about given up. Thanks for all the help, Zach, and your pure and dedicated service. I also appreciate all the invaluable insight I have recieved from the mebers in the zmf threads. So now I'm onto the for sale section and I will be putting them up for an extremely reasonable price if anyone is interested.
GLWS.

I can't see myself ever selling my Atticus, but I guess that is one of those things you believe until it happens. What was your replacement for the Eikons?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back