ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF
Feb 14, 2019 at 7:20 PM Post #6,752 of 9,716
Any personal recs you can make on tube amps? Preferably sub-600 ish. Also, what kind of music do you listen to most?
BH Crack + SB is so ridiculously underrated, it's criminal. Put a good mullard long plate 12au7 in there and you're golden. You can skip the cap upgrades, choke, and all the little stuff everyone squaks about, it's overrated imo. If you're tempted to do all the little Crack upgrades, just get the CrackATwoA instead. It's about the same amount of money in the end, and the CrackATwoA will still sound better.

I listen to a fairly even mix of Blues, rock, classic rock, edm, and metal. Toss in a little classical from time to time.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2019 at 7:46 PM Post #6,753 of 9,716
honestly the jot/bimby combo is quite good overall, i'd see how you like the atticus with that before changing anything. definitely get an xlr cable for the atticus if it doesnt come with one, so you can try the balanced out vs the single ended out. i personally like the added power of the balanced out. some headphones dont change with the extra power, but the hd650 and atticus definitely do.

if you do want to try otl, i'd try to grab a used woo wa3. i got to hear one with both my 650 and atticus, and liked it quite a bit. the owner had warm tubes in it since he was mainly driving an hd800. but even being on the warm side, it still sounded nice with the 650/atticus.

Thank goodness for a little love for the Atticus. I was worried this was turning into an Eikon thread. I bought an Atticus as a compliment to my HiFiMAN HE-500. For use with my Mjolnir I, I had to make a balanced cable. The difference, to me, between the Atticus SE and balanced was not subtle and I've not looked back. Better dynamics and separation all around. Of course, part of the difference can also be attributed to the power available from the Mjolnir I.

I also recently received an Aune X7S amp. I was surprised how well it handles both my Atticus and HE-500. In fact, vocals through the Aune are wonderful. However, when playing loud, the Aune gets a little strident and congested (with both of my head phones), which doesn't happen with the Mjolnir I (with either of my head phones). The Aune provides a thick, meaty sound that's good on rock, not so good on acoustic jazz. Sometimes it's a bit much on the Atticus.

Feb 16, 2019 at 6:28 PM Post #6,754 of 9,716
Well, I went to CanJam today expecting to prefer the Atticus and came home with an Eikon. Go figure. It was the sub bass that did it for me -- the Eikon has an almost visceral kick and skull-rattling rumble that the Atticus could not compete with. The Eikon feels a bit brighter up top, but the overall sound is mellow enough that it's not fatiguing. Comfort was also a factor -- the Eikon just felt so comfy over my big ears that I barely noticed the weight when I first put them on. Just two pillows caressing the sides of my head! The Atticus pad openings were just a tad too small to cram my ears in, and this resulted in the headphones feeling heavier even though they really aren't. The Eikon will be my new "fun" headphone to (probably) replace my E-MU Teaks.

Feb 16, 2019 at 6:36 PM Post #6,755 of 9,716
Well, I went to CanJam today expecting to prefer the Atticus and came home with an Eikon. Go figure. It was the sub bass that did it for me -- the Eikon has an almost visceral kick and skull-rattling rumble that the Atticus could not compete with. The Eikon feels a bit brighter up top, but the overall sound is mellow enough that it's not fatiguing. Comfort was also a factor -- the Eikon just felt so comfy over my big ears that I barely noticed the weight when I first put them on. Just two pillows caressing the sides of my head! The Atticus pad openings were just a tad too small to cram my ears in, and this resulted in the headphones feeling heavier even though they really aren't. The Eikon will be my new "fun" headphone to (probably) replace my E-MU Teaks.
Congrats! Funny, the Eikons replaced my E-Mu Teaks as well. I think the Eikon is less "fun" than the E-Mu, and more technically proficient in just about every aspect, but still feeds that sub-bass craving so very well.

Feb 16, 2019 at 6:53 PM Post #6,756 of 9,716
Congrats! Funny, the Eikons replaced my E-Mu Teaks as well. I think the Eikon is less "fun" than the E-Mu, and more technically proficient in just about every aspect, but still feeds that sub-bass craving so very well.

True, the Teaks do have a bit more mid-bass punch for that added fun factor but the sub bass of the Eikons beats the Teaks and will certainly satisfy my desire for fun. They do sound a bit more neutral overall and definitely more technically proficient, but it's subtle and TBH it shows the Teaks are a damn good headphone for the money (diminishing returns and all that). I will have to think long and hard (and look at my bank balance) before I decide whether to sell the Teaks -- I'll probably be A/B-ing them for the next week!

One thing that was interesting to hear was how the three Eikons that ZMF was demo-ing all had subtly different sound profiles. The two camphor pairs sounded a bit different (out of the same amp) and the burl wood ones slightly different again (as would be expected... Zach suggested the denser burl wood probably affected the speed of decay of the bass in particular, for example).

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2019 at 9:10 PM Post #6,757 of 9,716
Hi all, sorry if this has been asked before but after searching the thread for magnesium chassis I can’t find the answer.

Does ordering the Eikons with magnesium chassis upgrade reduce the weight by 33g overall or 33g per cup (66 overall)?

Looking over the ZMF website I couldn’t quite figure it out. The Verite page describes the new chassis saying:
“Our new Magnesium chassis reduces weight by 33 grams per headphone, allowing us to offer our lightest design to date, at approximately 430 grams.”

Given it says “per headphone”, singular, and the Verite weight is much lighter than other models I wondered if this means 66g for a pair of headphones? If it’s only 33 I’ll probably skip the extra expense.

Feb 26, 2019 at 12:55 AM Post #6,758 of 9,716
I just picked up a used pair of ZMF Atticus for a steal with the older style headband in Paduk. My god I've never heard another headphone quite so musical and liquid. They remind me of the HD650 which I love but I feel that they are better suited to pretty much all genres. The HD650 in some music would have me reaching for something else but these.... I haven't stopped listening them since I got them 4 days ago. The accentuated bass in the mids is just downright addicting and the soundstage and isolation is excellent. They are also definitely forgiving to bad recordings but at the same time do an excellent job doing justice to well produced music. If this is what the ZMF house sound is count me sold. Honestly curious to hear the rest of the ZMF line of dynamics its seriously making me consider selling some of my other gear to try out the Auteur and Eikon.

Feb 26, 2019 at 8:05 AM Post #6,759 of 9,716
They’re both so good. I was the opposit I preferred the more lush, romantic decay that comes with the Atticus but I also loved how much harder it hit than Eikon but I do agree the Icon rumbles more on the sub where as the Atticus focuses on speed and slam. Zach knows how to make headphones sound so good.

Feb 26, 2019 at 8:06 AM Post #6,760 of 9,716
I just picked up a used pair of ZMF Atticus for a steal with the older style headband in Paduk. My god I've never heard another headphone quite so musical and liquid. They remind me of the HD650 which I love but I feel that they are better suited to pretty much all genres. The HD650 in some music would have me reaching for something else but these.... I haven't stopped listening them since I got them 4 days ago. The accentuated bass in the mids is just downright addicting and the soundstage and isolation is excellent. They are also definitely forgiving to bad recordings but at the same time do an excellent job doing justice to well produced music. If this is what the ZMF house sound is count me sold. Honestly curious to hear the rest of the ZMF line of dynamics its seriously making me consider selling some of my other gear to try out the Auteur and Eikon.
I feel the HD650 and Atticus make the perfect team. HD650 for open, easy going listening with some kick and Atticus for balls to the wall listening haha.

Feb 26, 2019 at 12:24 PM Post #6,761 of 9,716
They’re both so good. I was the opposit I preferred the more lush, romantic decay that comes with the Atticus but I also loved how much harder it hit than Eikon but I do agree the Icon rumbles more on the sub where as the Atticus focuses on speed and slam. Zach knows how to make headphones sound so good.

it was interesting to contrast them both. Overall I think what drew me to the Eikon was the slightly more transparent overall sound. Yes, they lack some of the lushness of the Atticus, but are still a surprisingly relaxing and warm listen overall, and the midbass is still very much there if the recording calls for it. It was puzzling TBH, because in some respects the Atticus sounds more like a biodynamic driver headphone than the Eikon, and yet it isn't.

I wonder how many people own both the Atticus and the Eikon? It seems like the midbass presence of the Atticus is not really replicated in any other ZMF headphones.

Feb 26, 2019 at 2:03 PM Post #6,762 of 9,716
..,,,,,I wonder how many people own both the Atticus and the Eikon? It seems like the midbass presence of the Atticus is not really replicated in any other ZMF headphones.

I own both of them as I bought them both on special when released. I also have an Auteur and Ori.

Feb 27, 2019 at 3:59 PM Post #6,764 of 9,716
After purchasing a B stock barnyard cherry Atticus I've realized that how amp dependant it is and how much synergy is important in the chain.

The DaC I'm using is the modi multibit. The magni 2 makes it sounds potent but also compressed, mids withdrawn and lifeles. Bass was just ok. Treble was dark yet had an annoying 5k peak I think .
It made me feel terrible as I bought it for the "lively ultimate organic fleshy mids" factor.

Switching to the Objective 2 amp (which was supposed to be worse than mangi 2) I find it a much better pairing. The mids are a bit more fleshed out, focused and forward. The whole sound feels more open and top to bottom extension feels better.
It took me from regretting buying the Atticus to loving and cherishing it.

Feb 27, 2019 at 4:57 PM Post #6,765 of 9,716
After purchasing a B stock barnyard cherry Atticus I've realized that how amp dependant it is and how much synergy is important in the chain.

The DaC I'm using is the modi multibit. The magni 2 makes it sounds potent but also compressed, mids withdrawn and lifeles. Bass was just ok. Treble was dark yet had an annoying 5k peak I think .
It made me feel terrible as I bought it for the "lively ultimate organic fleshy mids" factor.

Switching to the Objective 2 amp (which was supposed to be worse than mangi 2) I find it a much better pairing. The mids are a bit more fleshed out, focused and forward. The whole sound feels more open and top to bottom extension feels better.
It took me from regretting buying the Atticus to loving and cherishing it.
your journey is very very similar to mine. got a used barnyard cherry atticus and was using a mimby/magni 3 at the time, and didnt think it was special sounding at all. tried the jotunheim, and though better, still not all that. lyr 3 was boring. grace m9xx under powered. i was about to sell it, as my dt 1770 sounded great on all those amps. but....got a steal of a price on a used violectric v100 and literally on first listen thought holy crap this sounds amazing! that mimby/v100/atticus combo was the most musical and enjoyable headphone experience i ever had to that point. so i feel you. with the wrong chain, the atticus is ok at best, nothing special. but with the right chain, it's easily end game.

how dark are your cups? my barnyard cherry cups were a very light brown when i first got them. nice, but nothing all that special, honestly. a year later they're many times darker than when i first got them, and one of the sexiest looking woods i've seen. i was shocked how much they darkened over time (about 6-9 months).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back