ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF
Dec 27, 2018 at 3:29 PM Post #6,646 of 9,714
Hey buddy!

Sorry I've taken forever to respond. I looked through your recommendations and whole those all look like awesome IEMS, I think they're all more neutral than the Eikon, especially in the bass region, which is something I really need.
I guess something like the Andromeda with heavy bass would be awesome.
Sounds like your looking for maybe the Campfire Solaris?

Jan 5, 2019 at 1:49 PM Post #6,647 of 9,714
I just adore the Atticus with the nice tube nuance's...it is one of my favorite sounds, but I must admit I just listened to this
R-6409748-1468169536-1512.jpeg.jpg
With this

DSC02291.JPG

Such a wonderful listening experience, just phenomenal ....great way to spend an hour.
Such a great headphone!

Jan 5, 2019 at 8:08 PM Post #6,648 of 9,714
Can anyone provide insight into the Eikon vs. Atticus for metal? l'd like a closed back headphone for metal. So far the Emu Teak is the best headphone I've tried for metal (kick drums and guitar sound great). The Aeons are great for well recoded music, but a bit dynamically compressed with poorly recorded metal (most metal really). I'm hoping the Eikon or Atticus might be a nice upgrade from the Emu Teak.

Jan 6, 2019 at 3:46 PM Post #6,649 of 9,714
Those of you who've tracked the Eikons from the beginning, has ZMF continue to tune the sound from the first batch of pre-orders? I've had a Vibro MKii for awhile and really like how coherent it is, and have been thinking of getting one of the newer dynamic ZMFs.

Jan 6, 2019 at 5:29 PM Post #6,650 of 9,714
Those of you who've tracked the Eikons from the beginning, has ZMF continue to tune the sound from the first batch of pre-orders? I've had a Vibro MKii for awhile and really like how coherent it is, and have been thinking of getting one of the newer dynamic ZMFs.
I purchased one of the very first Eikons, and bought a second pair a year later in different wood. (One for work, one for home.) They sound near identical, with the slight differences I chalk up to differences in the wood imo. Zach does a very good job here keeping build and sound consistent.

Jan 6, 2019 at 6:16 PM Post #6,651 of 9,714
If ZMF made it a practice of changing the sound of the headphones, it would be bad for their business as no one would pre-order. People would also demand their headphones be adjusted to the newest upgrade in sound.

Jan 8, 2019 at 11:09 AM Post #6,653 of 9,714
Can anyone provide insight into the Eikon vs. Atticus for metal? l'd like a closed back headphone for metal. So far the Emu Teak is the best headphone I've tried for metal (kick drums and guitar sound great). The Aeons are great for well recoded music, but a bit dynamically compressed with poorly recorded metal (most metal really). I'm hoping the Eikon or Atticus might be a nice upgrade from the Emu Teak.
metal and rock are my main genres, and i own the atticus and did own an eikon (so you already know my personal preference!). i find both excellent for metal, you wont be disappointed either way. the eikon has more upper mid/low treble extension, so guitars are louder and more forward vs the atticus. i'm sensitive in that frequency range so i preferred the atticus. both have tremendous bass slam, the difference is the atticus is a bit thicker sounding due to it's mid bass hump. most metal doesnt go very low so the eikon's slightly stronger sub bass extension is mostly moot. bass on them is more similar than different though, so either way, you're getting some really nice bass. the single biggest difference to me was that upper mid/low treble extension on the eikon. if you want a lighter, more linear sound, the eikon is probably better. if you want something a bit thicker and warmer, the atticus reigns supreme. in the end your best bet is get to a local meet or store if possible to try them out, one will resonate with you more than the other. on paper i thought i'd end up with an eikon. but after listening, the atticus was my personal favorite.

another thing, both are kinda picky on amps. you can get nice sound out of something as simple as a magni, but they really respond to certain amps. they're much like the hd600/650 in that regard. they can go from ho hum to breathtaking with a simple amp change. my personal favorite amps for the atticus are both violectric/lake people. the rs-08 and v280 both balanced. the v100 and rs-02 are no slouch either on the single ended side. the molnir 2 was quite nice as well. on the eikon side, i really liked my buddies woo wa3 since it softened the treble a bit. funny thing though, i didnt like the atticus on it at all. and i didnt like the eikon much on the rs-08 or v100, but did like it on the v280. like i said, picky azz headphones when it comes to amp synergy! but once you get the right setup, wow...

Jan 8, 2019 at 11:31 AM Post #6,654 of 9,714
Great info - I'm still torn between Atticus & Eikon or both, although getting both seems a bit mad as I'm bound to prefer one over the other. The more comparisons I read, the more I tend towards the Atticus as I listen to a fair amount of metal and electronica.

Jan 8, 2019 at 11:39 AM Post #6,655 of 9,714
Great info - I'm still torn between Atticus & Eikon or both, although getting both seems a bit mad as I'm bound to prefer one over the other. The more comparisons I read, the more I tend towards the Atticus as I listen to a fair amount of metal and electronica.
one option is to patiently watch the used listings and look for underpriced units. buy both, give them a nice extended audition, and sell the one you least prefer. this way you should recoup most or all of your costs on one of the units. that's how i was able to grab both at the same time, and when i sold the eikon, i broke even even after shipping/fees were factored in.

Jan 8, 2019 at 12:16 PM Post #6,656 of 9,714
You're in the same boat as I was until couple weeks ago. And please don't take a decision based on reading. I almost made that mistake. There are people who like both and people who who like either or. And there is nothing wrong with both. I was very sure that I was gonna like Atticus - so much so that I even bought a Cayin iHA-6 (it was @grizzlybeast's solid state recommendation). I was gonna use it at work and I didn't want to show off tubes - wanna keep low profile. But it all changed when I convinced my friend to take a 14hr drive with me just to spend 30mins in LA, at Source AV. I never thought I'd like Eikon over Atticus (coming from DT770 pro 80ohms). Auditioned both with SPL Phonitor E and WA7 Fireflies. To my complete surprise, I liked the Eikon more, with both the amps. I was in complete shock. And guess what, this week I'm gonna put an order for Eikon.

So please audition both before making a decision. You never know, you might walk away with Eikon. Good luck!

Jan 8, 2019 at 12:51 PM Post #6,658 of 9,714
In UK and the only place I can audition them is 400miles away..just realised they've started a loaner scheme so will try and check out both.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2019 at 6:53 PM Post #6,659 of 9,714
80% of my listening is Electronica and Drum & Bass. The Atticus is wonderful with them. The Eikon may be too, but I've never heard it, so can't comment. I use a Woo WA2 with French power and Japanese driver tubes. The sound is powerful with a big soundstage, lots of air, and the mid bass hump is not noticeable. Depending on amps and tubes, the Atticus will change, but still will keep its wonderful personality.

Jan 8, 2019 at 7:08 PM Post #6,660 of 9,714
80% of my listening is Electronica and Drum & Bass. The Atticus is wonderful with them. The Eikon may be too, but I've never heard it, so can't comment. I use a Woo WA2 with French power and Japanese driver tubes. The sound is powerful with a big soundstage, lots of air, and the mid bass hump is not noticeable. Depending on amps and tubes, the Atticus will change, but still will keep its wonderful personality.
Yes. You'll have to actually listen to understand when people say this. The Atticus sounded very dark, like Darth Vader dark with SPL Phonitor E (mind you, I used to own a LCD2C so I think I know what dark is) and the difference is outrageous when I plugged in WA7, it sounded amazing to me, it opened up quite a lot - still warmer than Eikon though. My friend and I had What expressions on our faces when we heard the difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back