ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF
Mar 26, 2018 at 8:36 PM Post #5,611 of 9,714
Fascinating post about suede Eikon pads (which I didn't even know existed). A couple comments, apropos of nothing:
  • To be clear--I'm a HUGE fan of ZMF headphones. Almost everything about these designs, their voicing & the way Zach does business totally work for me.
  • But--I can't make sense of the pads. I can't get ZMF's pads straight.

This has practical consequences. For example, I heard the Auteur during CanJam NYC (it was #1 on my audition list), but was surprised to hear some brightness in the upper midrange. It concerned me, since I assumed the perforated Auteur pads I was hearing them through were the "warm" pads. I found out later (by accident) that these pads were actually not the "warm" pads. So I pad confusion made me not understand what I was hearing...this headphone has at least 2 pad options that look nearly identical, but don't sound identical/*

Not complaining/not unhappy. I could have asked Zach which pads were which. Still, it's confusing.

What I would love to see (would be glad to do this myself if I had the information) is an earpad comparison table, presenting/naming all ZMF pads w/pictures & the following information:
  • Distinct model names/designation of each pad (this may take some work, some organization, because IMO the names currently don't distinguish the pads all that much)
  • A column naming which ZMF headphones that pad is recommended to be used typically used with
  • A column briefly characterizing the pad's sound, contrasting it to other similar-looking pads.
Because here's the thing: I think Zach has quietly developed ZMF into a source for the best pads in headphone audio. but I just can't keep the pads straight.

* I now have to somehow audition this very worthy headphone w/the "warm" pads

Mar 26, 2018 at 8:38 PM Post #5,612 of 9,714
Fascinating post about suede Eikon pads (which I didn't even know existed). A couple comments, apropos of nothing:
  • To be clear--I'm a HUGE fan of ZMF headphones. Almost everything about these designs, their voicing & the way Zach does business totally work for me.

This has practical consequences. For example, I heard the Auteur during CanJam NYC (it was #1 on my audition list), but was surprised to hear some brightness in the upper midrange. It concerned me, since I assumed the perforated Auteur pads I was hearing them through were the "warm" pads. I found out later (by accident) that these pads were actually not the "warm" pads. So I pad confusion made me not understand what I was hearing...this headphone has at least 2 pad options that look nearly identical, but don't sound identical/*

Not complaining/not unhappy. I could have asked Zach which pads were which. Still, it's confusing.

What I would love to see (would be glad to do this myself if I had the information) is an earpad comparison table, presenting/naming all ZMF pads w/pictures & the following information:
  • Distinct model names/designation of each pad (this may take some work, some organization, because IMO the names currently don't distinguish the pads all that much)
  • A column naming which ZMF headphones that pad is recommended to be used typically used with
  • A column briefly characterizing the pad's sound, contrasting it to other similar-looking pads.
Because here's the thing: I think Zach has quietly developed ZMF into a source for the best pads in headphone audio. but I just can't keep the pads straight.

* I now have to somehow audition this very worthy headphone w/the "warm" pads
I agree with all of this. I feel like I need a flowchart to figure out pads.

Mar 26, 2018 at 8:55 PM Post #5,613 of 9,714

Have you seen Zachs pad ordering page? When you go on there it gives you a brief summary of each one and what it does. In all honestly, you can't do much pad rolling even though they fit as the stock pads are the ones best suited to the headphone barring any acoustic differences from the wood itself.

Mar 26, 2018 at 9:06 PM Post #5,614 of 9,714
Have you seen Zachs pad ordering page? When you go on there it gives you a brief summary of each one and what it does. In all honestly, you can't do much pad rolling even though they fit as the stock pads are the ones best suited to the headphone barring any acoustic differences from the wood itself.
Zach has a website?

Just kidding.

The Eikon suede pads are good for the Atticus but not the Eikon. Doesn't make sense from a naming standpoint. See what I mean? Could be improved is all I'm saying.

Mar 27, 2018 at 12:12 AM Post #5,617 of 9,714
Anyone driving the ZMF phones off a portable dac/amp like a Hugo 2? How does it sound?

They sound great off the Hugo 2, both direct and with an amp in the middle.

Mar 27, 2018 at 12:49 AM Post #5,618 of 9,714

Dont feel bad guys...Zach sent me a pair of suede pads for my Atticus to try,which I did.A few days later I asked Zach which pads he had sent and he said he did not recall.
I have a pair of suede pads here,and I have zero idea which they are.:confused:Glad Im not alone.

Mar 27, 2018 at 1:06 AM Post #5,619 of 9,714
Dont feel bad guys...Zach sent me a pair of suede pads for my Atticus to try,which I did.A few days later I asked Zach which pads he had sent and he said he did not recall.
I have a pair of suede pads here,and I have zero idea which they are.:confused:Glad Im not alone.

The Eikon suede pads are bigger than the Atticus suede pads...

:smirk:

Mar 27, 2018 at 9:17 AM Post #5,620 of 9,714

If they are the exact same size as your Ori pads on your Atticus, then they are Ori suede pads. If not then they should be Eikon suede pads. The Ori style pads are always thicker in the back where the Eikon lays a little more flat in comparison.

Mar 27, 2018 at 10:15 AM Post #5,621 of 9,714
Mar 27, 2018 at 10:28 AM Post #5,622 of 9,714
There is no Atticus pad though. Just the Eikon and Ori suede pads.

Quit trying to undermined me being snarky. You know what I meant! :wink:

Mar 27, 2018 at 10:29 AM Post #5,623 of 9,714
Quit trying to undermined me being snarky. You know what I meant!
Just illustrating the point that, you know... names. Confusion. =P

haha.

Mar 27, 2018 at 10:36 AM Post #5,625 of 9,714
Zach needs come out with velour/sheepskin hybrid pads in 3 different sizes to further confuse everyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back