ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF
Mar 17, 2018 at 1:42 PM Post #5,581 of 9,714
Anyone tried Alex Cavalli Tube Hybrid Amp with Atticus? How is the synergy between them?

The synergy is phenomenal. The midrange is especially breathtaking. IMO, it’s the best budget option for driving the Atticus right now.

Mar 17, 2018 at 1:52 PM Post #5,582 of 9,714
The synergy is phenomenal. The midrange is especially breathtaking. IMO, it’s the best budget option for driving the Atticus right now.

Stupidly missed out on the first drop, but it's live again for another 24 hours with units shipping in a few days!

Mar 17, 2018 at 2:03 PM Post #5,583 of 9,714
Made a quick google search and papaduck returned a rapper lol.

Ha! That’s funny.

FWIW, the joke was funnier in my head when the punchline was “technically, a papaduck is a mallard.” But I looked it up to make sure that was accurate and found out that I don’t know schiit about ducks.

Mar 17, 2018 at 2:45 PM Post #5,585 of 9,714
Heads up for you tube rollers - the RCA Grey Glass is an incredible tube that makes mids sound so sweet, effortless, rich, and smooth. For those of you who prefer the 650s smoothness to the Atticus mids without that upper mid crunch or bite, these are amazing. Just got done listening to the Flower Boy album by Tyler the Creator and a few songs by Kane Brown and I was floored.

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2018 at 5:00 PM Post #5,586 of 9,714
I had the opportunity to pick up a used Eddie Current Aficionado with a full complement of NOS tubes for $3000 and I pulled the trigger. All I can say is that, paired with my Lynx card and Sonic Frontiers SFD-2, this is my endgame setup. I'm done. This is pure bliss with the Eikon. Dynamics, clarity, resolution, imaging, SOUNDSTAGE. Everything is on a different level from any amp I've had before. I even had an IHA-1 for a short period, albeit with hum issues. Very good amp but this was worth every penny of the extra $1000 I spent.

Now to start looking at vinyl rigs and efficient speakers...

Mar 19, 2018 at 6:58 PM Post #5,587 of 9,714
I have to say that these have been on my mind since being announced. It's just that I've been using iems so much lately that my cans have been largely ignored. 90% of my interest in these now is due to their looks, which imo is the BEST of any headphone period. Nice to see the new yokes and adjustment rods. Hopefully with continued incremental improvements to the build I'll eventually be unable to resist owning a pair.

Mar 19, 2018 at 10:07 PM Post #5,588 of 9,714
I wonder if early buyers of the Eikon and Atticus can get the new rods and yokes.

Mar 20, 2018 at 5:54 AM Post #5,591 of 9,714
I wonder if early buyers of the Eikon and Atticus can get the new rods and yokes.

Might want to check with Zach about this, he did indeed use the new hardware on his limited edition Atticus.

DSC00284.JPG

Mar 20, 2018 at 3:15 PM Post #5,593 of 9,714
What does the Eikon suede pad on the Atticus do? I heard it shifts the bass bump down from 120hz to like 80 and lightens the darkness of the treble. Does it sacrifice detail?

Mar 20, 2018 at 4:09 PM Post #5,594 of 9,714
What does the Eikon suede pad on the Atticus do? I heard it shifts the bass bump down from 120hz to like 80 and lightens the darkness of the treble. Does it sacrifice detail?

It boosts the treble a bit and reduces the midbass. It makes it more detailed in the top end, with less micro-detail overall I would say.

Mar 21, 2018 at 2:38 AM Post #5,595 of 9,714
I did find the Eikon suede reduced some of the micro-detail but boy it really made the top end feel airy. Could have fooled me into thinking it's an open back. Not so much with the Ori Lamb. But the Ori lamb has better thump, but regardless of pads I had to crank the bass below 90 hz for the satisfying bass head thump.

Either way I need EQ to be satisfied, so I am debating which pads to use still. I really like the open feel of the Eikon Suede, even if it makes the mid bass kind of anemic. Also, the Atticus sounds surprisingly good out of my onboard motherboard headphone jack when I plugged it in out of curiosity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back