ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF
Feb 26, 2018 at 7:45 AM Post #5,431 of 9,735
Hello guys,
I'm new owner of ZMF Atticus (I have them for about week and they are 5 months old) and I got a problem. When I play the song on normal volume or a bit louder right driver makes weird buzzing noise, when i put volume down its ok. My other headphones didnt do this (he-500). Also I think left side plays a bit louder and its like I have blind ear but i didnt :D . My other headphones didnt do this (he-500). My amp/dac combo is Audio-GD - R2R 11.
I found it yesterday, and I dont really know if i did something wrong previous owners didnt had this problem so :frowning2: I treat them like my own child no throwing or anything. Whats wrong? :frowning2: I spend all my money for them and this is very unpleasant for me as student

Feb 26, 2018 at 7:48 AM Post #5,432 of 9,735
Hello guys,
I'm new owner of ZMF Atticus (I have them for about week and they are 5 months old) and I got a problem. When I play the song on normal volume or a bit louder right driver makes weird buzzing noise, when i put volume down its ok. My other headphones didnt do this (he-500). Also I think left side plays a bit louder and its like I have blind ear but i didnt :D . My other headphones didnt do this (he-500). My amp/dac combo is Audio-GD - R2R 11.
I found it yesterday, and I dont really know if i did something wrong previous owners didnt had this problem so :frowning2: I treat them like my own child no throwing or anything. Whats wrong? :frowning2: I spend all my money for them and this is very unpleasant for me as student
Hi, what type of file are you listening to? Is it doing this with all music? The R2R has a potential issue with low level noise in the right channel using some DSD files, so keep that in mind. Try it off another amp - or just from your motherboard sound card - and see if the problem is still there.

Feb 26, 2018 at 8:17 AM Post #5,433 of 9,735
My other headphones didnt do this as i said so i dont think it will be in R2R plus i dont have anything else just R2R and i dont know anyone with same interest like me I will need to find someone
Every file in foobar i had is flac, but spotify does it as well

Feb 26, 2018 at 8:21 AM Post #5,434 of 9,735
Hello guys,
I'm new owner of ZMF Atticus (I have them for about week and they are 5 months old) and I got a problem. /QUOTE]

It sounds like there might be a problem with your headphone or chain, it's hard to diagnose them without us looking at them. I've emailed you and will fix them up for you as a needed. Happy to check out any ZMFs and make sure they are functioning properly.

Last edited:
ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Feb 26, 2018 at 8:44 AM Post #5,435 of 9,735
It sounds like there might be a problem with your headphone or chain, it's hard to diagnose them without us looking at them. I've emailed you and will fix them up for you as a needed. Happy to check out any ZMFs and make sure they are functioning properly.
And that, ladies and gentlemen, is why we buy ZMF.

Feb 26, 2018 at 11:35 AM Post #5,436 of 9,735

This is great service and why I do not hesitate to buy ZMF.

Feb 26, 2018 at 1:05 PM Post #5,437 of 9,735
After reading about the topology I'm certain my next amp is going to be the Dragon Inspire - it just reacts really well to tube rolling since it only has one layer of gain and has better micro-detail than the ZDS. ZDS beats it in soundstage but I don't really care about that too much.

Having actually heard both amps, I disagree. I recommend looking up more impressions on both amps.

Feb 26, 2018 at 1:09 PM Post #5,438 of 9,735
Having actually heard both amps, I disagree. I recommend looking up more impressions on both amps.

What makes you say that? The Inspire is cleaner, just lacks in the dynamics. For me, what I want an OTL to do for my Atticus is bring out detail and keep it smooth. If I wanted super dynamics I'd probably actually settle on the Mjolnir 2.

Feb 26, 2018 at 1:54 PM Post #5,439 of 9,735
What makes you say that? The Inspire is cleaner, just lacks in the dynamics. For me, what I want an OTL to do for my Atticus is bring out detail and keep it smooth. If I wanted super dynamics I'd probably actually settle on the Mjolnir 2.

You implied you hadn't heard either yourself, is this not the case?

I found the ZDS to be an improvement in retrieving micro detail, micro dynamics, plankton and a big step up in staging. The only thing I felt the Inspire did better was deeper bass extension and slam, which is mostly mitigated in the ZDS with the right tube.

Feb 26, 2018 at 2:28 PM Post #5,440 of 9,735
You implied you hadn't heard either yourself, is this not the case?

I found the ZDS to be an improvement in retrieving micro detail, micro dynamics, plankton and a big step up in staging. The only thing I felt the Inspire did better was deeper bass extension and slam, which is mostly mitigated in the ZDS with the right tube.

I've read many reviews to the contrary - the ZDS has an abnormally high level of soundstage but the Inspire bests it in micro-detail as well as the Kenzie etc. Keep in mind because you can roll a wider variety of tubes with the Inspire and you can swap out alternatives for the 5Y3 Rectifier you can overcome the voltage sag it has for a less compressed sound. The ZDS; we're talking a difference of over $800 and much larger real estate on my desk. Even if what you say could be true for all tubes no matter what was rolled, if it even gets close to 90% the microdetail of the ZDS it's a knock out of the park. You have to really make sure you get a transparent tube on the rectifier otherwise you're not getting the full performance. The EC stuff seems to get blown out way out of proportion because of the way they handle electric feedback but they are not the be-all end all in the $2k and sub $2k market.

Feb 26, 2018 at 3:59 PM Post #5,441 of 9,735
I've read many reviews to the contrary - the ZDS has an abnormally high level of soundstage but the Inspire bests it in micro-detail as well as the Kenzie etc. Keep in mind because you can roll a wider variety of tubes with the Inspire and you can swap out alternatives for the 5Y3 Rectifier you can overcome the voltage sag it has for a less compressed sound. The ZDS; we're talking a difference of over $800 and much larger real estate on my desk. Even if what you say could be true for all tubes no matter what was rolled, if it even gets close to 90% the microdetail of the ZDS it's a knock out of the park. You have to really make sure you get a transparent tube on the rectifier otherwise you're not getting the full performance. The EC stuff seems to get blown out way out of proportion because of the way they handle electric feedback but they are not the be-all end all in the $2k and sub $2k market.

Ah. Let me know once you've actually heard some of these amps then. Having spent some time in my own home with all 3, I'd place them at ZDS>Inspire>=(depending on your preferences) Kenzie. These were all with upgraded tubes.

The ZDS is indeed quite a bit larger, especially if you consider the beefy power supply. The Inspire is a great amp and is a really nice, somewhat compact size (at least compared to the monster sized amps from EC and DNA)

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2018 at 4:01 PM Post #5,442 of 9,735
Ah. Let me know once you've actually heard some of these amps then. Having spent some time in my own home with all 3, I'd place them at ZDS>Inspire>=(depending on your preferences) Kenzie. These were all with upgraded tubes.

Will do - I plan on buying it next week.

Feb 26, 2018 at 4:38 PM Post #5,443 of 9,735
Just received ZMF Autuer Lambskin pads for my Eikon. I must say, another step closer to neutral/linear. The sound is more spacious, wider soundstage, and more detail is being squezeed out, not to say more comfortable with the larger ear holes. Even the Lambskin leather appears to be a higher quality than the ZMF Universe Pads that I have been using. What is not to like with the Eikon out of my Kenzie, fed by my Amethyst DAC!

Feb 26, 2018 at 5:10 PM Post #5,444 of 9,735
Just received ZMF Autuer Lambskin pads for my Eikon. I must say, another step closer to neutral/linear. The sound is more spacious, wider soundstage, and more detail is being squezeed out, not to say more comfortable with the larger ear holes. Even the Lambskin leather appears to be a higher quality than the ZMF Universe Pads that I have been using. What is not to like with the Eikon out of my Kenzie, fed by my Amethyst DAC!

Nice set-up!!!! :L3000:

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Feb 27, 2018 at 5:21 PM Post #5,445 of 9,735
Just got my Eikion Suede pads in and really enjoying them. The subbass is nice and impactful with the midbass becoming less pronounced on the Atticus. The treble extension is nice and not harsh. Airyness without the sibilance. They're less stuffy than the regular Ori pads (they breathe more). The mids have my forwardness without the bite that came with the Oris and 650s which actually is pretty nice all things considered as it lets me zone out and relax to the music more. It does make it a tad bit difficult to pick out complex lyrical passages but that's just nitpicking.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back